Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Canon Image Runner Advanced 4245 hard drive

Hi everybody,
    I have a IRADV 4245 copier. It has been determined that the hard drive is bad. I have seen images on line on how to get it out but for some reason mine does not look like what I am seeing. I guess I have two questions. How do I get it out and is it something I can change out myself or is there alot more to do after it is in.
    Thanks for your help.
    David

Re: Canon Image Runner Advanced 4245 hard drive

You can change it yourself if you have the proper software and firmware. First you have to take it out, replace it with a COMPATIBLE hard drive, format the drive with Canon's system support tool, and upload the firmware into the copier. Or you can just BUY a hard drive that already has the firmware installed and install it in the copier.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Hi Kuby,
    Thanks for the response. The first trouble I am having is getting it out of the machine. I have the little door on the right side open and the pictures that I have seen show to pull something down and pull out the drive by a little handle. I don't see that on mine. Are some different? A service company wants to charge me $350.00 to replace it. Is that reasonable as I have no idea. Would I be able to replace it and then load software or is it pretty hard? Sorry for all the questions but $$$ are tight and I am trying to save.
    Thanks,
    David

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

That price is reasonable and you won't be able to do the firmware yourself if you haven't been trained or seen it before. I would leave it alone and let the service company look after removing it and replacing it with firmware. Depending on how the original HDD failed, the tech may be able to salvage some of the settings, where as if the hdd is removed that won't be the case. This requires experience, not your typical swap scenario.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

If that price is for parts and labor, and you do not have the firmware or know how to do this yourself then I would go ahead and do it.
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts dan7777's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jumeda33 View Post
    Hi everybody,
    I have a IRADV 4245 copier. It has been determined that the hard drive is bad. I have seen images on line on how to get it out but for some reason mine does not look like what I am seeing. I guess I have two questions. How do I get it out and is it something I can change out myself or is there alot more to do after it is in.
    Thanks for your help.
    David
    * Audit log that was exported cannot be put back to the device from which the log was
    exported.
    2) Printing the Settings/Registration data by using the service mode.
    (Lv.1) COPIER> FUNCTION> MISC-P> USER-PRT
    List of the set/registered data which cannot be backed up is printed.
    <Preparation>
    1) Remove the Right Rear Cover (Upper). (Main Controller PCB 1 4-36)
    2) Remove the Rear Cover. (Main Controller PCB 2 4-37)
    3) Remove the Controller Box Cover. (Main Controller PCB 2 4-37)
    4) Disconnect the USB Cable and the Control Panel Communication Cable. (Main Controller
    PCB 1 4-36)
    5) Remove the Main Controller PCB 1. (Main Controller PCB 1 4-36)
    T-4-18
    <Procedure>
    1) Open the plate in the direction of the arrow.
    • 2 Hooks
    2) Disconnect the 2 cables.
    • 2 Connectors
    • 1 Wire Saddle
    3) Remove the HDD Unit.
    • 2 Screws
    CAUTION:
    • Be careful not to drop the screws.
    • Pull out the HDD Unit until it stops, and then move it in the direction of the arrow to
    remove.
    • Be careful not to drop the HDD Unit.

Some units you take the back off and there it is. Not on this one. If you are not trained and you get a code when you turn it back on you have to troubleshoot which connector you left off. Then you had to install software which be from a thumb drive but you have to get someone to send it to you and tell you how to install. Going to be expensive if you have it done and a long process if you don't. You could try and hold down 1 and 9 at same time turn on and see if you can get it back (runs scan disk, may take 20 min or longer) or if you have software format it and then reload software again. You will lose all your settings and scan settings if you have scan set up if you get new hard drive or format.

Technician

sorry to join. ir adv 4245 horizontally widened and faded (picture attached test pg type 1) has changed drums, cleaned the laser but nothing has changed. please help, sorry my english, thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts

You will need a oem hard drive from Canon a compatible will not work and you have to load the system software best to get the dealer to repair.
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by balad View Post
    sorry to join. ir adv 4245 horizontally widened and faded (picture attached test pg type 1) has changed drums, cleaned the laser but nothing has changed. please help, sorry my english, thank you
    Start a new thread this one was for a HDD issue.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk