Technician

iPF8100 Multi Sensor Location

Quick question. Does the replacing the multi sensor on an iPF8100 require removing the entire carriage, or is there another way. I know it's located on the left side of the carriage, but I can't seem to identify how it can be removed. Thanks!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: iPF8100 Multi Sensor Location

Quote Originally Posted by cutmoney View Post
    Quick question. Does the replacing the multi sensor on an iPF8100 require removing the entire carriage, or is there another way. I know it's located on the left side of the carriage, but I can't seem to identify how it can be removed. Thanks!
    i don't know which iPF this is, but it was very easy to remove:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    i don't know which iPF this is, but it was very easy to remove:
    I removed most of the parts of the carriage unit to get access to the head PCB, but didn't see where that was connected. Did yours slide towards the back of the carriage on the left side? It's hard to tell from the picture.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Honestly I don't remember. It took me no more than 5 minutes to unsnap it from the side of the carriage (while still on the rail). I don't think there were even any screws, just a few plastic snaps.

Qualifier: this may not be similar to the plotter you're working on. I think mine was a IP-765, and I don't know if it's similar to yours. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Honestly I don't remember. It took me no more than 5 minutes to unsnap it from the side of the carriage (while still on the rail). I don't think there were even any screws, just a few plastic snaps.

Qualifier: this may not be similar to the plotter you're working on. I think mine was a IP-765, and I don't know if it's similar to yours. =^..^=
    Thanks for the info, it was actually helpful even though it did vary a bit in the 8100. When I looked harder for some way to remove the left side of the carriage, I was able to locate the cover screws. For anyone else's information, to remove the multi sensor in the iPF8100 there are four screws on the left side of the carriage. There are two that are hidden under the ink lines (which just need to be moved out of the way) and two on the left side of the carriage (which are marked 3 and 4). Don't remove the red screws. Then, disconnect the small cable and remove the cover. There is one final screw which holds on the multi sensor, which is near the bottom of the carriage. After that, it should pull right out.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cutmoney View Post
    Thanks for the info, it was actually helpful even though it did vary a bit in the 8100. When I looked harder for some way to remove the left side of the carriage, I was able to locate the cover screws. For anyone else's information, to remove the multi sensor in the iPF8100 there are four screws on the left side of the carriage. There are two that are hidden under the ink lines (which just need to be moved out of the way) and two on the left side of the carriage (which are marked 3 and 4). Don't remove the red screws. Then, disconnect the small cable and remove the cover. There is one final screw which holds on the multi sensor, which is near the bottom of the carriage. After that, it should pull right out.

Super Helpful, been looking everywhere for removal info...

Anyway to test multi sensor before replacing... getting the a "cannot detect paper size" - reloaded sheets, and the roll, no change...

any suggestions before ordering the part (besides get a new machine)...

thanks,

Lightbulb Re: iPF8100 Multi Sensor Location

Quote Originally Posted by methogod View Post
    Super Helpful, been looking everywhere for removal info...

Anyway to test multi sensor before replacing... getting the a "cannot detect paper size" - reloaded sheets, and the roll, no change...

any suggestions before ordering the part (besides get a new machine)...

thanks,

How did you guys got on?

I have the same "Multi Sensor Error" on my iPF8100, I have ordered a qm3-3138-000 Multi sensor but I fear that may not be the problem as in Service Mode it loads and detects A4 sheets so can detect the edge, did a nozzle check and Blue is a little blocked. I looked under the printer head as it was starting up and the sensor seems to light up red blue and green.

Also removed to inspect the sensor visually and clean but it looked fine, (no dirt / dust etc)

How did you guys fix it?

I know shes an old girl now but looking to repair if possible.

Thanks