Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: ipf 605 404E

ipf 605 404E

I've been given iPF605 printer by one of the parents from my son's school in order to see if I can fix it and give it to school. It's in fantastic condition but had dreaded 404E error. It did the usual thing of complaining about top cover open in service mode or just displaying error in normal mode. I did firmware update with L tool and that worked well.

At one point to my surprise it did came up with replacement screen, and like a donkey that I am, I've selected CPU. It went fine through 'programming' but after restart there is now no information in eeprom at all, There is no serail number anymore just list of 404 errors. I have a feeling if i just selected MC r board replacement instead that it would all be working.

So my question is; is there a kind soul that has a complete dump from eeprom (128K) and is it at all possible to just rewrite eeprom. If not, I'm afraid I'll have to take this to the nearest skip.

Best Regards,

Re: ipf 605 404E

Time to update this thread which will probably serve as a history of this 'repair'.

The IC802 marked 428M is actually AT24C128 EEPROM.

Now the question is (since they are both the same chip) if the EEPROM on MC relay PCB is exact copy of PCB EEPROM. I'm hoping that they are.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts onlyinnewfoundland's Avatar

Re: ipf 605 404E

Not sure if the maintenance cartridge relay is an exact copy of what's on the main controller. I believe it is pretty well all necessary data though so the machine can reload it automatically from the relays backup. I am assuming when you put in a new main controller the machine will just take a copy of the serial number and a few other bits of data but the rest of it is probably written new based on whatever measurements the machine takes on boot.

From what I recall if you replace the main board (not sure if disconnecting it completely can trigger this), you are supposed to boot into service mode and then select board replacement and choose CPU not MC. I think I goofed that one once and picked MC - I assumed it meant "main controller" - but I don't think it messed the machine up too bad.

There is an alternative boot mode they refer to as "download mode." On this unit, I think you can access that by holding down stop and information while powering on.

You need to use the L-Tool to send the firmware across, but that should at least reflash the machine before it boots up.

Might get you somewhere - or give you a different error code lol.

Worst part about these machines is that you can probably find another donor cheaper than getting boards.

What is the full error?