Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Canon IRA C2030 network print problem

I'll start by saying that I am not an IT tech and have to rely on my colleagues to assist me.

My customer tells me his machine would not print unless they cycle the power. And it would not print while in the power save mode.
    My friend the IT tech tells me it needs the main board. After looking through the svc manual and parts manual I came to the conclusion
    that the board he was referring to is the main board #1. Which I believe has the network connection on it. I will see this machine tomorrow
    afternoon.
    Does this sound correct? As far as the problem is concerned.
    I have had to change almost no main boards in the Canons, so it seems a little odd to me.
    Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks

DR

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Canon IRA C2030 network print problem

I haven't worked on Canons in a long time, ... but, the first think that I would check is to see if the print drivers are using a WSD port.

WSD printer ports frequently lose connection ... I don't know why, but it leaves print jobs stranded in the queue, for months. It's always preferable to have the manufacturers print driver installed, but in the short term just re-assigning the port to the printers IP address will restore printing.

I would also do some test printing via crossover cable to my laptop. I'm not saying that it's impossible that you've got a bad board, but if I replaced a board every time somebody told me to I would have wasted a lot of boards. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Thanks Blackcat, that is good advice I will give it a try and ask the customer about their drive. I will also ask
    my IT friend about the driver and that port thing you mentioned.
    They have had this machine for about a year. They were using aftermarket toners but after some quality issues
    I was able to convince them that OEM toners for color machines are a must.

DR

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts roho's Avatar

I have had similar issues when printing, cycle the power and the jobs show up and print. Turned out the IT dept was based in the UK and were using UK drivers to print to the North American devices.
    Check the drivers first, strongly suspect the answer is more likely in that direction then a main board.

Roho,
    Thank you for that suggestion. I have not spoke to my IT friend yet. I will contact him today after my first call.

DR

Are you running "Power Over Ethernet"? If so you should disable that on the ethernet port as quickly as possible!! P.O.E. tends to fry Control Panel main boards.

Go into "Configure Port" under Printer Properties-Ports, and turn SNMP Status off. Canons are NOTORIOUS for losing communication if SNMP status is enabled, so I always turned it off as a rule during setups.

+1 on making sure you're using a TCP/IP port and not WSD.

If you're still having issues after that, select a DIFFERENT IP address for the machine....You might be dealing with an IP Conflict.

..........These are the steps I used that always worked when I would have loss of connection.

Guitar9199,
    Thank you for this information. I will contact my IT friend to make these changes.

I'll let you know.

DR

Well, I ahh screwed up. I should have quized the customer more on the symptoms. And I should have gone over there to see for myself.

It turns out that when it comes out of power save it throws a code of E00020-360. This points to the black drum high concentration. And the black copy
    is darker than expected. There is more history behind this code in a different post.
    The customer did not bother to tell me the machine has this code. All she saw was call for service. From her description it sounded like an IT problem.
    error E020-1060 canon IRC 2220

This thread was started 10/10/13. I added to it on 2/28/19.
    Now that I've read up on the history I know I have to pull the laser unit out clean the mirrors and run the auto gradation adjustment.
    I did knock the black density down a notch, clean the patch sensor and transfer belt contacts. I pulled the drums and tried to clean the
    laser windows but I will just pull the whole thing out and do all the mirrors too. It seemed to be dusting the cyan and black toner pretty good too.
    Well see after tomorrow.

DR