Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help required with ir3225

Hi,

I'm new to this site, so please bear with me if I ramble. I have had a donation of a Canon IR3225, and have the PostScript Printer Kit AA1 ready to go. But the machine keeps saying that there is not enough memory to install the license. I'm assuming I need system upgrade ram-A1, but cannot find where to get it at a reasonable price (I'm guessing that Canon will want my firstborn) or if there is an alternative. Any assistance would be very gratefully received.

Dave

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Help required with ir3225

Quote Originally Posted by dave2709 View Post
    Hi,

I'm new to this site, so please bear with me if I ramble. I have had a donation of a Canon IR3225, and have the PostScript Printer Kit AA1 ready to go. But the machine keeps saying that there is not enough memory to install the license. I'm assuming I need system upgrade ram-A1, but cannot find where to get it at a reasonable price (I'm guessing that Canon will want my firstborn) or if there is an alternative. Any assistance would be very gratefully received.

Dave
    hello good morning what is the capacity of ram memory

Please send photo of PS Printer Kit-AA1.

You already tried to test if you print with the UFRII driver????

Hi wcanonw,

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, but I'm guessing that I'm on a different time zone.

Please bear with me while I give you an outline: the machine was up for grabs on a Freecycle site so I asked and it was given to me. It was advertised as a copier only, but I was informed that it was a printer and scanner, but that the person donating it hadn't bothered to hook it up as a printer.

When it came to my place, I put it on to my network. I installed the UFRII driver for it initially, and although it was seen on the network it would not print. So I tried the PCL driver. Again it would not print. (I also tried to perform these operations via a straight USB link). Finally I tried it with the PostScript driver without any luck.

I then did some research and looked up how to get to various functions/menus on the machine (previously only doing the basic stuff) and found that it had listed a load of test pages as "NG #853" whatever that is.

After spending some time on the 'net looking this up, I found someone saying that it was probably that a printer kit was not installed. So I searched for printer kits. Mostly they were exhorbitant in price - one was around 370 euros.

Eventually I found a PostScript Printer Kit AA1 (which is listed in the Canon brochures as an option) for 40 euros, so I bought it.

It is genuine, as I have gone to the Canon Licensing site, and put in the serial number together with my machine ID and have had a license number generated. Also, when I received it the package had not been opened.

I will send a photo if you want, but all that there was in the package was a genuine Canon certificate, and three or four user disks together with an instruction manual.

I then entered the license on the machine, only to get the message which read something like "There is insufficient memory to perform this operation".

So I went into the maintenance section and looked up a couple of things: the machine is registered as having 256MB of memory, and there isn't a "1" against the PCL installation - it is a "0", so I'm assuming that it is not installed. Strangely, against the PS option there is a "2". There does not seem to be any option for UFRII anywhere, but there are lots of menu entries so maybe I missed it. The machine incidentally is an IR3225. I think it is the absolute basic model - there seems to be an "N" version, but I don't think it is that - which makes me wonder if there is UFRII support.

I took the cover off the machine, and there is a slot for additional memory, but I do not know what type - all I can ascertain is that it is the "System Upgrade RAM-A1" option, but that is all.

So that's where I am at the moment, and any help would be gratefully received.

Regards, Dave.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Hi wcanonw,

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, but I'm guessing that I'm on a different time zone.

Please bear with me while I give you an outline: the machine was up for grabs on a Freecycle site so I asked and it was given to me. It was advertised as a copier only, but I was informed that it was a printer and scanner, but that the person donating it hadn't bothered to hook it up as a printer.

When it came to my place, I put it on to my network. I installed the UFRII driver for it initially, and although it was seen on the network it would not print. So I tried the PCL driver. Again it would not print. (I also tried to perform these operations via a straight USB link). Finally I tried it with the PostScript driver without any luck.

I then did some research and looked up how to get to various functions/menus on the machine (previously only doing the basic stuff) and found that it had listed a load of test pages as "NG #853" whatever that is.

After spending some time on the 'net looking this up, I found someone saying that it was probably that a printer kit was not installed. So I searched for printer kits. Mostly they were exhorbitant in price - one was around 370 euros.

Eventually I found a PostScript Printer Kit AA1 (which is listed in the Canon brochures as an option) for 40 euros, so I bought it.

It is genuine, as I have gone to the Canon Licensing site, and put in the serial number together with my machine ID and have had a license number generated. Also, when I received it the package had not been opened.

I will send a photo if you want, but all that there was in the package was a genuine Canon certificate, and three or four user disks together with an instruction manual.

I then entered the license on the machine, only to get the message which read something like "There is insufficient memory to perform this operation".

So I went into the maintenance section and looked up a couple of things: the machine is registered as having 256MB of memory, and there isn't a "1" against the PCL installation - it is a "0", so I'm assuming that it is not installed. Strangely, against the PS option there is a "2". There does not seem to be any option for UFRII anywhere, but there are lots of menu entries so maybe I missed it. The machine incidentally is an IR3225. I think it is the absolute basic model - there seems to be an "N" version, but I don't think it is that - which makes me wonder if there is UFRII support.

I took the cover off the machine, and there is a slot for additional memory, but I do not know what type - all I can ascertain is that it is the "System Upgrade RAM-A1" option, but that is all.

Regards, Dave.

You can confirm what printer driver(s) you can use by following the procedure below.
    1. Press (Counter Check) on the touch panel display.
    2. In the Counter Check screen, press [Device Configuration].
    3. Confirm the printer driver name displayed under [Option].

• PCL drivers are for your generic office docs that might have a single color image on that doesn't need to match 100% to the on screen orginal.
    • UFRII drivers are the enhanced PCI/PS drivers for windows that will work really well with SMB printing, passing all options/settings down to the clients that are connected to it.
    • PS drivers are for better image quality that may not always work 100% with the windows clients via SMB but will always work 100% with OSX. 2nd most expensive option for printing
    • --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      UFR II Printer Driver:
      Using the UFR II printer driver, the various data processing tasks conventionally executed within the printer
      are appropriately divided between the host PC and the printer to greatly reduce the overall printing time. The
      workload can be delegated to match the output data, thus realizing a significant increase in speed through
      optimization.
      PCL Printer Driver:
      The PCL5c, PCL5e, and PCL6 printer drivers can be used with most kinds of business application software. The
      PCL5c printer driver is for color printers, the PCL5e printer driver is for black-and-white printers, and the PCL6
      printer driver is for both color and black-and-white printers. PCL6 is an advanced version of PCL5c and PCL5e,
      and offers superior printing quality and speed. The PCL5e printer driver is provided as standard with blackand-
      white printers.
      PS Printer Driver:
      The PS printer driver converts print data from applications into data for use with PS printers, and sends it to
      the printer. As well as converting print data, it can also enable you to configure settings relating to finishing
      and detailed settings such as color adjustment, and provides an appropriate print environment for desktop
      publishing and publishing on demand.
    • https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/copiers-mfps-fax-machines/support-multifunction/imagerunner-3245?pageKeyCode=43

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UFR II print driver is a Canon proprietary driver that stands for “Ultra Fast Rendering II.”

Pros:

This driver processes print jobs quicker by compressing the print job before sending it to the copier, resulting in faster print times. Because of it’s compression capabilities, the UFR II driver is excellent for printing office files from programs such as Microsoft Word, Microsoft Powerpoint, Microsoft Excel, Adobe Reader and Internet Explorer.

Cons:

A downside of Canon’s UFR II compression is that it does not offer high quality colour output. Offices looking to produce high quality colour on a Canon should thus use Adobe PostScript. Special Note: Some System 85 and DOS-based programs are not supported by UFR II.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________

Printer Control Language

NOTE: PCL is a trademark of the Hewlett-Packard Company.

Printer Control Language, or PCL
    , is a common printing language used widely by many different printer manufacturers. PCL is supported by many different operating systems which allows for the same printer to work in many different environments.

PCL is device dependent. This means that the drivers for this language utilize the printer hardware for creating some of the printed data, usually graphics data such as fill areas, underlines or fonts. This allows the computer to process the print job quickly and efficiently. The printer is then responsible to complete the creation and processing of page data. Individual printers may perform these tasks differently giving you a slightly different output.

Pros:

• Fast print processing.
    • Widely supported in many different operating system platforms.

Cons:

• The same print job on two different printers may vary slightly.
    • Quality of graphics is dependent on the print device.
    • Not supported in most Macintosh environments.

PostScript

PostScript language, or PS, is a common printing language also used widely by many different printer manufacturers. It is used heavily in Macintosh platforms and for graphic applications in several platforms. It is a device-independent page description language developed by Adobe, which is used to print and display pictures and text. PostScript 3 and newer includes many enhancements to older versions of PostScript, including improved image quality and color.
    Unlike PCL, PostScript is device independent. This means that the PostScript language creates all of the print data and does not rely on the printer for print data. This allow the output to be consistent when printed on more than one type of printer or print device. Specifically, the graphic objects will be consistent and in some cases of higher quality than PCL.

Pros:

• Graphical objects are often more detailed.
    • The same print file should print identically on two or more different print devices. (This most beneficial when used for printing drafts on one printer then sending out to a printing company for production.)

Cons:

• Print processing can be slow.
    • Not found in as many platforms as PCL.
    • Print file and memory requirements are larger.

Last edited by teckat; 12-29-2016 at 06:54 PM.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

UFR II Printer Kit
    The UFR II Printer Kit can be available only to the iR3245/iR3235/iR3225, and enables you to
    upgrade your machine to a high-speed network printer.
    This kit incorporates UFR II (Ultra Fast Rendering II) Technology, which utilizes Canon's original printing algorithm to minimize file
    processing and achieve maximum performance.
    To use the features of the UFR II Printer Kit, it must be activated by registering a license key.

For the iR3245N/3235N/3225N, the machine is equipped with the UFR II/PCL printer function as
    standard, therefore you do not need to activate this option.
    ================================================== ======================================

UFR II/PCL Printer Kit
    You can upgrade this machine to a high-speed network printer by installing the optional UFR II/PCL Printer Kit.
    This kit incorporates UFR II (Ultra Fast Rendering II) Technology, which utilizes Canon's original printing algorithm to minimize file processing and achieve maximum performance.
    This kit is also equipped with the Direct Print functions, which enables you to print a TIFF, JPEG, or PDF image
    without opening the file from your computer, using the Remote UI. It supports PCL5e/6 emulation
    printing solutions.

To use the features of the UFR II/PCL Printer Kit, it must be activated by registering a license key.
    The UFR II/PCL Printer Kit is standard-equipped for the iR3245N/iR3235N/iR3225N.

================================================== ======================================
    PS Printer Kit
    The PS Printer Kit supports PS emulation printing solutions.
    To use the features of the PS Printer Kit, it must be activated by registering a license key after the UFR II/
    PCL Printer Kit (standard-equipped for the iR3245N/iR3235N/iR3225N) has been activated.

If you are using the iR3245/iR3235/iR3225, to activate the PS Printer Kit, the memory of the machine must be
    expanded by installing the Additional Memory Type A (512MB) to the machine.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Hi wcanonw,

Regards, Dave.
    the memory of canon ir3225 must be expanded by installing the additional Memory Type A (512 MB)

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

If all goes well, you should thank Master Teckat for the solutions he offers to all

Quote Originally Posted by wcanonw View Post
    If all goes well, you should thank Master Teckat for the solutions he offers to all
    Hi wcanonw.

Thanks for your help. I'm still unsure about the memory required - as in if there is an alternative to Canon's memory, but have managed to come across an original piece on eBay and have purchased it, so it's very much watch this space.

Just a quick question if you don't mind: can you tell me what the error #853 is? There seems to be a multitude of opinions on the 'net, but have no clue as to what it is.

Other than that I'll leave the discussion as it is for now until the memory turns up. And of course, millions of thanks to yourself and Master Teckat.

Regards

Dave

so basically you just want to use the printer option but its not printing

am i correct...if so then why do you need additional memory

and there is a workaround in cases of postscript if you dont have one

in the print options just print it as image coz postscript are generally for special fonts and character features and i would presume

you just want it to print right..