Canon IPF700/710 plotter - Are print heads locked to the first plotter you use it in?

Hi:

I gave up on my old IPF700 plotter and found a replacement on Kijiji for cheap. I had an IPF700 and now I have an IPF 710. The seller said it had a bad print head which didn't bother me because I have 2 known good print heads (almost new) but they both were used on my old plotter (long story but trust me - they're good). I put a good print head in the new plotter and after the whole ink replenishing thing it came up with an error saying "Print Head Error" and nothing else (no error code, etc.).

Could it be that these print heads head get married/locked to the first plotter you put it in? Before I try my other good print head and waste another set of ink tanks, I would like to know if I'm wasting my time and will just get the same error. Yes, both plotter use the exact same print head (PF-03).

The only reason I bought this replacement plotter is because I had the two good print heads, a maintenance cartridge and a bunch of ink. I'm getting close to taking an ax to both plotters and cursing Canon's name for eternity so please if anyone can answer I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Canon IPF700/710 plotter - Are print heads locked to the first plotter you use it in?

Re: Canon IPF700/710 plotter - Are print heads locked to the first plotter you use it

Quote Originally Posted by pawnie View Post
    Hi:

I gave up on my old IPF700 plotter and found a replacement on Kijiji for cheap. I had an IPF700 and now I have an IPF 710. The seller said it had a bad print head which didn't bother me because I have 2 known good print heads (almost new) but they both were used on my old plotter (long story but trust me - they're good). I put a good print head in the new plotter and after the whole ink replenishing thing it came up with an error saying "Print Head Error" and nothing else (no error code, etc.).

Could it be that these print heads head get married/locked to the first plotter you put it in? Before I try my other good print head and waste another set of ink tanks, I would like to know if I'm wasting my time and will just get the same error. Yes, both plotter use the exact same print head (PF-03).

The only reason I bought this replacement plotter is because I had the two good print heads, a maintenance cartridge and a bunch of ink. I'm getting close to taking an ax to both plotters and cursing Canon's name for eternity so please if anyone can answer I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

normally a used printhead will go bad after removal UNLESS properly stored.. how/where did you store it after removal?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Canon IPF700/710 plotter - Are print heads locked to the first plotter you use it

It doesn't marry, but it must remain capped. An uncapped head or even just sitting unused for a month or more can harden up the ink inside. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    normally a used printhead will go bad after removal UNLESS properly stored.. how/where did you store it after removal?
    The one with the error was switched from one machine to the other the same day within maybe a half hour. It was also brand new. Note I took it manually out of the machine because the machine was not turning on (i.e., I pulled off the ink tank assembly and removed the print head - was never drained using print head removal function on the plotter - I should have mentioned that).

The other print head I have was out of the machine for about 2 weeks and has been stored in the original packaging including the plastic snap on nozzle cover. This one was properly removed from the old machine. This print head had about 6 months of very light use on it before I swapped it for a new one thinking it had a problem but I'm confident now there was nothing wrong with it (the problem was clogged ink line causing a nozzle spray sensing error).

I've ordered new ink so I can try the other print head. I'm in too deep at this point. Starting to feel sick every time I think about it.

Thanks for your response.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

iPF's can turn into a money pit in a hurry. Are you sure there are no errors stored? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    It doesn't marry, but it must remain capped. An uncapped head or even just sitting unused for a month or more can harden up the ink inside. =^..^=
    Forgot to thank you for this post which answered the question. So...thanks!