Canon IPF710 Printhead problems

Hello,

Our printer recently needed the printhead and maintenance cartridge replaced. I have followed the steps from Canon to replace both of these.

After everything was replaced and we try to print I am getting the following message displayed:

!Execute printhead cleaning. If this message is still displayed replace the printhead.
    Stop: Stop Printing

I have ran several cleaning since seeing this message. It always comes back when trying to print. If i enter Service/Maintenance mode I am able to get it to do a test print and it comes out fine. After exiting Service mode it will never print and immediately displays that message.

What else can i try? We are getting tired of throwing money at this thing.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Canon IPF710 Printhead problems

There are some other posts about similar ipf s having printhead problems, I've started some myself. Some of the answers might give you extra ideas. Unfortunately, the manual is vague about the issue. Try cleaning the contacts on the ph and carriage first. However, I've experienced both canon and hp printheads have been bad out of the box. It's a hassle, but you should be able to return it if it came defective. The next possibility may be a bad or dirty drop detector. It could be misreading the ink output and think it needs to be cleaned. They are not too expensive and pretty easy to put in. Good luck.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I forgot to ask, for the heck of it if you put the old one back in, do you get the same message. If it works in service mode, you could leave it like that in the meantime while this is sorted out.

That is the frustrating part. This is the 2nd new printhead i have tried.

When it is in service mode we were only able to run test prints from the machine itself. When sending a print job to it it never takes it and deletes from the queue immediately.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JBen23 View Post
    Hello,

Our printer recently needed the printhead and maintenance cartridge replaced. I have followed the steps from Canon to replace both of these.

After everything was replaced and we try to print I am getting the following message displayed:

!Execute printhead cleaning. If this message is still displayed replace the printhead.
    Stop: Stop Printing

I have ran several cleaning since seeing this message. It always comes back when trying to print. If i enter Service/Maintenance mode I am able to get it to do a test print and it comes out fine. After exiting Service mode it will never print and immediately displays that message.

What else can i try? We are getting tired of throwing money at this thing.
    hello before placing the new printhead, you must reset the printhead error in the service mode, then remove the defective printhead and update the fimware to the most current version, after the firmware update place the new printhead of impression

Quote Originally Posted by wcanonw View Post
    hello before placing the new printhead, you must reset the printhead error in the service mode, then remove the defective printhead and update the fimware to the most current version, after the firmware update place the new printhead of impression

Thanks for the reply. I replaced the printhead with a new one while in sevice mode. We are already on the newest firmware.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Canon IPF710 Printhead problems

First mistake: Replacing the printhead in service mode.
    You can remove the printhead in service mode, but if you install a printhead still in service mode the error will not clear.

So the correct action is to enter the service mode and follow the menu to replace the printhead. Once you have removed the old prinhead, you close up the latches with the carriage empty and power Off. Then power On normally. Surprise surprise ... it asks you to install a prinhead. When you do, it will not have the error.

Will this work on the printhead that you just installed? I don't know. Find out. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    First mistake: Replacing the printhead in service mode.
    You can remove the printhead in service mode, but if you install a printhead still in service mode the error will not clear.

So the correct action is to enter the service mode and follow the menu to replace the printhead. Once you have removed the old prinhead, you close up the latches with the carriage empty and power Off. Then power On normally. Surprise surprise ... it asks you to install a prinhead. When you do, it will not have the error.

Will this work on the printhead that you just installed? I don't know. Find out. =^..^=
    Thanks for the reply.

I tried replacing the printhead as you mentioned by entering service mode and removing it. I then powered it off. When i first turned it back on it would beep and give me the hardware error 2f2a. I hadn't seen that before. I rebooted several times and kept getting the error. The only way around the error was to boot it back up into service mode. Once in service mode I put the printhead back in.

After rebooting and trying to print i am back to the original error message of execute a printhead cleaning and or replace the printhead.

I know this isn't the steps you suggested but I was not able to remove the printhead, then power off the machine and boot it normally to put the printhead back.

Not sure where to go from here.

Technician

i got the exact same issue ... and in several printer ... i throwed 2 printers in the bin ... hope someone give me some insight to try to save the last one IPF710 moddel never canon large printer a total mess