Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Ipf8300 smear/ink drops on edge of paper

Re: Ipf8300 smear/ink drops on edge of paper

Quote Originally Posted by Cmp4you View Post
    Thanks for your response ).

I will try to follow the steps of cleaning, when I get my hands on the service manual for the machine.

Here is a video of the carriage unit hitting the platen on startup. Is it normal for the carriage unit to drive so low? Maybe gap calibration will help (As also mentioned by you)?

YouTube
    Also as Blackcat said wipe the underside of carriage assm.
    Head gap can get off if settings were set back to factory. ( esp if used enough)
    So the machine determined via setting stored. (head gap... quality settings etc)
    Just wondering, are most of your prints (even proofs) done in HIGH QUALITY mode that lays down more in which could also be issue related.
    As far as media.. are yours in the "APPROVED" list?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    Also as Blackcat said wipe the underside of carriage assm.
    Head gap can get off if settings were set back to factory. ( esp if used enough)
    So the machine determined via setting stored. (head gap... quality settings etc)
    Just wondering, are most of your prints (even proofs) done in HIGH QUALITY mode that lays down more in which could also be issue related.
    As far as media.. are yours in the "APPROVED" list?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Hello Phil,

I think I have narrowed down the issue. I did the gap calibration, which had no influence, the carriage unit still strikes the paper in the middle and at the beginning. I then changed the head height to every position and inserted my sheet. The head position stood the same!!! The head did not raise a bit (at max it should be at 3mm)! I could see that very clearly when I did the nozzle check pos. The head went to max position, I guess (gap was relatively large). So it seems that the head height doesn't change when I adjust the media in the settings of the printer. Did you ever come across this issue? EDIT: I also noticed, that the head height only changes when printing (tested with test prints) and not when inserting media (which then, on head height: low, ruins the paper with ink). Shouldn't the head height also change when inserting the media, so the print head doesn't jam (on canvas for example)? Is this intentional by canon or a machine error?

My media is on the approved list and I have seen other people use that media on that machine.
    Last edited by Cmp4you; 02-23-2020 at 11:33 PM.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Is the load paper handle in the down position? I don't think it's the platen, possibly the white idlers that hold the paper. If the handle is raised, so are the white idlers. =^..^=
    The handle is down . No worries.

I think I have narrowed down the issue. I did the gap calibration, which had no influence, the carriage unit still strikes the paper in the middle and at the beginning. I then changed the head height to every position and inserted my sheet. The head position stood the same!!! The head did not raise a bit (at max it should be at 3mm)! I could see that very clearly when I did the nozzle check pos. The head went to max position, I guess (gap was relatively large). So it seems that the head height doesn't change when I adjust the media in the settings of the printer. Did you ever come across this issue? EDIT: I also noticed, that the head height only changes when printing (tested with test prints) and not when inserting media (which then, on head height: low, ruins the paper with ink). Shouldn't the head height also change when inserting the media, so the print head doesn't jam (on canvas for example)? Is this intentional by canon or a machine error?
    Last edited by Cmp4you; 02-23-2020 at 11:32 PM. Reason: New information

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Is the load paper handle in the down position? I don't think it's the platen, possibly the white idlers that hold the paper. If the handle is raised, so are the white idlers. =^..^=
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    Also as Blackcat said wipe the underside of carriage assm....
    Hello guys!

I did some more testing today and found a weird behaviour, which explains the streaks on the paper.
    I inserted the cut sheet as "roll paper" by accident and saw, that the head height at measurement (paper loading) was high above the paper (setting set to max for testing purpose).
    When I inserted the cut sheet as "cut sheet" the head was very low and scratched the paper.
    The settings for the paper were the exactly the same. So there might be a setting missing, which adjusts the height of the head when a cut sheet is inserted. Do you guys have seen something like this?
    Furthermore, I noticed, that the head scratches the platen on both settings "cut sheet" & "roll" (when no paper is inserted into the printer and the printer is in startup mode!).

Sincerely Marcel )