Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    Canon IR C3480i Network Issues.

    Hi everyone, I was curious if you guys might be able to help me with this very strange problem.

    (Background, I'm the only IT at a small construction company. We have 3 large Canon printers, an IR-ADV C5235, and IR-ADV C5035, and the IR C3480i. We have some smaller Brother Printers too, and all but one works over the network, the one IR C3480i.)


    It all started with a managed switch that went bad in the office and was replaced. After that, our 3480i will not connect to the network. The switch was configured with the same settings as the prior one, so I don't believe it is an issue with the network. This is what I've done to trouble shoot it so far, I'll also briefly explain how it is connected to the network.

    The printer is connected by Cat5e to the managed switch (no VLANS), which is connected directly to the modem, and then to the router. On the router, the MAC address of the 3480i was given a static IP address of 192.168.1.14. The printer, under the network settings, has the correct IP, Subnet, and Gateway, I can ping 127.0.0.1, and I can also ping 192.168.1.14, but I can't ping any other IP.

    The data light on the switch for the port that the printer is connected to does not come on, and the router and switch both cannot see the printer connected to it. The IP address doesn't show up in monitoring on the router, and the switch treats the port as if it has no cable plugged in. So first things first, I tried a new port on the switch, to no avail.

    I then took the router back to where the printer was to create a local LAN between my laptop and the printer. (This was to troubleshoot the cabling that goes through the ceiling of the building.) The router can see my laptop and itself, but again, the printer did not show up.

    I was advised to go through Service mode and clear the MMI. I did that, let the printer restart and re-entered in all of the network settings that got erased, and it still did not work. I set a timer for 60 seconds before the network would boot, and that also did not help.

    The networking side of things doesn't even see the printer, even when the printer was set to DHCP and the Static IP was removed from the router.

    The ping test points to a networking issue, since the Canon repair manual states that if it can ping the loopback (127.0.0.1) and it's host IP (192.168.1.14) that the problem can assumed to be on the network. I have triple checked and the network is exactly as it was before the switch was swapped. (A Netgear ProSAFE 48 port, swapped to a ZyXEL GS1900 - 48 port)

    I'm at the point of saying the LANBAR-C-BC PCB ASSEMBLY is failing. But according to lots of hunting google, Canon manuals, and this forum, seems to be very likely not the case if it can ping it's own IP.

    I can copy, scan, and print using a USB-A cable to print and scan directly.

    I'm not familiar enough with Service mode settings to know what they all mean and control. Is there someway during the MMI clear that maybe the network portion got shut off in the service mode settings? I'm at a complete loss, and I appreciate any input you guys could provide.

  2. #2
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Canon IR C3480i Network Issues.

    copier tech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,090
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: Canon IR C3480i Network Issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by PosWake View Post
    Hi everyone, I was curious if you guys might be able to help me with this very strange problem.

    (Background, I'm the only IT at a small construction company. We have 3 large Canon printers, an IR-ADV C5235, and IR-ADV C5035, and the IR C3480i. We have some smaller Brother Printers too, and all but one works over the network, the one IR C3480i.)


    It all started with a managed switch that went bad in the office and was replaced. After that, our 3480i will not connect to the network. The switch was configured with the same settings as the prior one, so I don't believe it is an issue with the network. This is what I've done to trouble shoot it so far, I'll also briefly explain how it is connected to the network.

    The printer is connected by Cat5e to the managed switch (no VLANS), which is connected directly to the modem, and then to the router. On the router, the MAC address of the 3480i was given a static IP address of 192.168.1.14. The printer, under the network settings, has the correct IP, Subnet, and Gateway, I can ping 127.0.0.1, and I can also ping 192.168.1.14, but I can't ping any other IP.

    The data light on the switch for the port that the printer is connected to does not come on, and the router and switch both cannot see the printer connected to it. The IP address doesn't show up in monitoring on the router, and the switch treats the port as if it has no cable plugged in. So first things first, I tried a new port on the switch, to no avail.

    I then took the router back to where the printer was to create a local LAN between my laptop and the printer. (This was to troubleshoot the cabling that goes through the ceiling of the building.) The router can see my laptop and itself, but again, the printer did not show up.

    I was advised to go through Service mode and clear the MMI. I did that, let the printer restart and re-entered in all of the network settings that got erased, and it still did not work. I set a timer for 60 seconds before the network would boot, and that also did not help.

    The networking side of things doesn't even see the printer, even when the printer was set to DHCP and the Static IP was removed from the router.

    The ping test points to a networking issue, since the Canon repair manual states that if it can ping the loopback (127.0.0.1) and it's host IP (192.168.1.14) that the problem can assumed to be on the network. I have triple checked and the network is exactly as it was before the switch was swapped. (A Netgear ProSAFE 48 port, swapped to a ZyXEL GS1900 - 48 port)

    I'm at the point of saying the LANBAR-C-BC PCB ASSEMBLY is failing. But according to lots of hunting google, Canon manuals, and this forum, seems to be very likely not the case if it can ping it's own IP.

    I can copy, scan, and print using a USB-A cable to print and scan directly.

    I'm not familiar enough with Service mode settings to know what they all mean and control. Is there someway during the MMI clear that maybe the network portion got shut off in the service mode settings? I'm at a complete loss, and I appreciate any input you guys could provide.
    I've seen this multiple times over the years as you are aware the LANBAR-C-BC PCB fails & will need replacing.

    You've done all you can the first thing I do, as you did, connect a laptop direct to the Canon via a crossover cable (setting the laptop on the same range as the Canon with a static IP) if you cant ping the copier it will need the
    LANBAR-C-BC PCB replacing.




    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

    www.copierfirmware.co.uk

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Canon IR C3480i Network Issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    I've seen this multiple times over the years as you are aware the LANBAR-C-BC PCB fails & will need replacing.

    You've done all you can the first thing I do, as you did, connect a laptop direct to the Canon via a crossover cable (setting the laptop on the same range as the Canon with a static IP) if you cant ping the copier it will need the
    LANBAR-C-BC PCB replacing.





    I was pretty sure it was the hardware, I just had to make sure with everything still pointing to the network! Thank you!

  4. #4
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Canon IR C3480i Network Issues.

    copier tech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,090
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: Canon IR C3480i Network Issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by PosWake View Post
    I was pretty sure it was the hardware, I just had to make sure with everything still pointing to the network! Thank you!
    It might be worth updating the firmware before you spend out on the network card occasionally that resolves the issue.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

    www.copierfirmware.co.uk

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-= -= -= -= -=


IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here