Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts
    Anyone using cordless screw drivers for field work?

Re: Anyone using cordless screw drivers for field work?

Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    Thinking about getting one but have no idea what a good one is for copier repairs. How are they at getting into tight spaces and how do they fit in the Platt hard tool case?
    Don't use I prefer snap on rachet and good 5.5mm magnetic nut driver
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Also another point anyone who works on the Ricoh IMC range you can replace the drum/dev, fuser unit, transfer belt ass’y, PTR & feed rollers with out ANY tools!

However when our clients are paying for a service contract they are reluctant to regularly fit parts when asked.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    Also another point anyone who works on the Ricoh IMC range you can replace the drum/dev, fuser unit, transfer belt ass’y, PTR & feed rollers with out ANY tools!

However when our clients are paying for a service contract they are reluctant to regularly fit parts when asked.
    In most cases it's optimistic to think that the customer can manage to swap units successfully, and at the right times.

A perfect example: on the Sharp Tiger series, Sharp made it just a little too easy to remove the developing unit, so we would frequently get calls that the toner cartridge that we sent them was the wrong type. Upon arrival I would see the developing unit missing, gone with yesterdays trash. And yes, you're going to have to pay for that. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    Thinking about getting one but have no idea what a good one is for copier repairs. How are they at getting into tight spaces and how do they fit in the Platt hard tool case?
    Cordless screwdriver, the most used tool in my bag. What a plus when removing the crazy amount of screws Jap's use now a days.

This is the one I use, small lightweight, balanced. Put a dewalt magnet tip holder and #2 phillips bit and good to go! it will drive a screw right though a 2x4 with no problem but torqe can be turned down for lighter applications like copier screws.

YouTube
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

For the last 7 years of my 31 years in the bidness I switched to a Makita 18V cordless drill. Charge lasts forever. Its the best tool in the bag and I'll never go with out it. I use the long Milwaukee #2 Phillips bit, its the best bit I found so far, with its small diameter and perfect length it fits everywhere. I never need to pull out the super long manual Phillips.

Pros:
    - Easy on the joints/wrist for machines with many screws for one panel
    - Fast disassembly/reassembly without manually turning a screwdriver
    - Torque setting default to increase screw longevity
    - Adequate light on every turn of the screw
    - Universal tool for drilling holes in older machine plastics and metals for modifications like securing zip ties
    - Battery interchangeability with other tools in shop

Cons:
    - High ticket
    - Heavier than manual screwdriver

I

Senior Tech 100+ Posts onlyinnewfoundland's Avatar

I don't really need to use my electric much anymore but I have been using it for about 10 years. Initially the old service dealer I worked for had a few Milwaukee drills that were great with the exception of the battery falling off the bottom because it was a twist style.

About 6 years ago I bought a Hitachi, nearly identical to those Panasonics listed above, same spec.

I have a couple of phillips drivers in my bag but I hardly ever touch them.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

always been a ratchet type.. but did have regular #2 & #1 in my bag along with Torx. oh and the 15" 5.5mm

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20 year tech's Avatar

Carpal Tunnel made me switch years ago I have a pistol grip Ryobi with a 6 inch bit that I magnetize, I wish I had started using in years sooner, still have a 12" Snap on for spaces the cordless cant reach. Anyone want to race me taking the covers off an image Press with a hand driver

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Try installing three Kyocera booklet folders without an electric screwdriver, about 20 screws and their all twice as long as they need to be
    Used a Dewalt dc600 for years but it now needs replacing and is discontinued. That Panasonic looks good but there's also a similar new Makita on ebay for about £50 (62,2$)
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skynet View Post
    Try installing three Kyocera booklet folders without an electric screwdriver, about 20 screws and their all twice as long as they need to be
    Used a Dewalt dc600 for years but it now needs replacing and is discontinued. That Panasonic looks good but there's also a similar new Makita on ebay for about £50 (62,2$)
    I converted to electric over 15 yrs ago. I have 4 of varying ages but my go to is the Ryobi with a spare battery. I don't go in the field but it does fit well in my tool bag. I have several long bits and an extension so I can reach pretty much any screw I need to. As far as time savings go, I assemble and set up 100+ machines a month. No one has yet been able to complete equipment even half as fast with a manual screwdriver. In addition to speed, as mentioned above, it saves on carpel tunnel symptoms. About $50 -$60 with spare battery and well worth the investment, not for the company but for your own well being.