Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts ReproKev's Avatar

Re: Anyone using cordless screw drivers for field work?

I use my ratcheting Snap-On 95% of the time as well, but I'll break out my Dewalt gyroscopic cordless when I need to remove a large number of screws....like replacing hopper gears on a c7065. It adjusts speed and direction with your wrist movement and doesn't have a crazy amount of torque like a drill that'll strip screws. Its great for light household use as well. It does take a little while to get used to but I highly recommend it.

DEWALT 8V MAX Cordless Screwdriver Kit, Gyroscopic, 1 Battery (DCF682N1) - - Amazon.com

I'm sure it will help in the household. I know people who are good at it, but it's not for my back and age. I can barely use a percussion machine, let alone put that much physical effort into it. Even the impact drill I had to buy was based on specific parameters that I could determine at powerdrillguru.com. They had a good description of what a light drill sounds like, and I followed their suggestion. I don't know how useful it would have been to buy a random drill. But I'm sure it would have been a mistake. Fortunately, it worked out fine.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Anyone using cordless screw drivers for field work?

I have an old Sears ratcheting screwdriver that I bought years ago and used pretty much exclusivity until about the turn of the century. I then bought a Sears (can't remember the model) electric screwdriver. I was drawn to it because it had the variable torque limiter. The down side was that the battery was built in. I have always set the torque limiter to its lowest setting as my default. Today I sport a Hitachi DB 3DL2(I think it cost me $70). When my Sears electric crapped out I bought the Hitachi because it came with an extra battery. It also has a light that works independently from the drill. The light on the Sears would only come on when the drill was working.

I found the Hitachi especially handy the few years I wasn't working office equipment. When I was doing ship bridge electronic repair, I cut down the amount of tools I had to drag up to the bridge by buying various bits. It's usually a long walk from the ride, up the side of the ship, then at least six flights of stairs to the bridge. It was during this time I changed my tool bag to a Swiss Gear backpack. The backpack tool bag made it a lot easier to make the long trip to the bridge. Today walking into an office with my tools on my back and my vac in hand is much easier as well.

So yeah, I use a cordless screwdriver for field work. Have for years. Nothing wrong with the plain old screwdriver. Still carry a few. But my preference is a cordless with a torque limiter and light.
    Last edited by Samanator; 07-08-2021 at 05:50 PM.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clint@clintsimonsen.com View Post
    I've been using a Panasonic for about 12 years now. not for all jobs and not as much as I used to, machines don't have any screws anymore.

EY7410LA2S57 Tough Tool Drill Kits - Panasonic Australia
    this looks appealing, size, weight, and functionality, will definitely be a benefit to replacing my heavy Makita, but $299 is pretty steep, thanks for sharing!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I like the corporate white look of the Panasonic, and with the time it has lasted its cost me $30 a year. However I was in one of the tool shops this week and spotted a makita that looked very similar for $150 same size same fold in half 2 batteries and charger in box

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    Not worth it. Only takes a few seconds to undo a screw with a manual driver!

Invest in a good quality ratchet driver I use a Snap-on.
    I'm cordless, but I'm also used to it from working with Konica and Canon refurbs, and I could never imagine using a manual driver for that. Once I transferred out to field I kept it, and a battery that would have lasted a couple days now lasts over a month. With a swivel bit I can get almost everywhere needed, but still keep a manual ready for those hard to reach places. I'm sure I can go without, but at this point why change

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-10 at 20.59.31.jpg
    This one has been my very faithful companion since 2008.
    If anyone knows of where I can order for an extra one let me know it please. I will be going for electric one without losing this.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by ReproKev View Post
    I use my ratcheting Snap-On 95% of the time as well, but I'll break out my Dewalt gyroscopic cordless when I need to remove a large number of screws....like replacing hopper gears on a c7065. It adjusts speed and direction with your wrist movement and doesn't have a crazy amount of torque like a drill that'll strip screws. Its great for light household use as well. It does take a little while to get used to but I highly recommend it.

DEWALT 8V MAX Cordless Screwdriver Kit, Gyroscopic, 1 Battery (DCF682N1) - - Amazon.com
    I use this one and its been great. I don't really take it into the field much unless I know I have to take out a ton of screws, too heavy/big. I love it for work in the office though, be it assembling new machines or scavenging the bone yard.

I did the same thing as you until I upgraded to a quality screwdriver from a 12-volt line. I purchased a Milwaukee 2401 M12 single-speed screwdriver.

I did the same thing as you until I upgraded to a quality screwdriver from a 12-volt line. I purchased a Milwaukee 2401 M12 single-speed screwdriver. It has a clutch to handle tiny wall plugs in plastic and enough power to drive deck screws. Unlike small drives, it has a variable speed trigger rather than an on/off trigger. I'll never purchase another little 4V or 8V screwdriver again, even though it is a pistol-shaped tool and weighty due to the powerful motor. Includes a carrying bag, two batteries, and a charger. I like it because it doesn't have more torque than my arm.