Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Scan legal sized documents to PDF with the document upright in the PDF viewer

I'm trying to figure out how to make a canon ir adv c5560i scan a legal size document to PDF and when opened in the PDF viewing software it should be an upright, normal portrait document. By default it gives the legal sized scanned document laying down to the left, landscape. But the doc is portrait. So the user ends up having to rotate every legal sized doc scanned.

I checked the user manual, the service manual, asked a canon technician today and have found no answer.

The closest (but not a good solution for the client I'm working for) is the"Orig. Content Orientation" option which makes the legal size document portrait but upside down. The only "almost-solution" found would be to feed the legal documents "foot first" to get an upright and portrait legal size scanned document.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks.

Technical/IT Support 500+ Posts Venom's Avatar

Re: Scan legal sized documents to PDF with the document upright in the PDF viewer

Scan as OCR and it will auto orientate
    IBM, Mita, Konica Minolta, Ricoh, Kyocera, HyPAS, Canon, Oce, Samsung, HP, TEO IP PBX/Unified Communications, Comptia Network+ Comptia PDI+ Certifications

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Question Re: Scan legal sized documents to PDF with the document upright in the PDF viewer

Thanks Venom,

Often the legal sized pages that are scanned are of just handwriting. In these cases OCR does not do anything because it can't tell what direction the handwriting is in.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Seems like a simple request - when scanning a Legal size page, I'd like the legal size PDF file to be upright in the computer when opened. Right now it is Landscape and the customer has to rotate 90 degrees on every single Legal size document to get them upright.

Bret