Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Exclamation Canon iR-ADV C2020i only "prints" blank pages

Hello,

I'm new here. So first some history and then my problem and what I already tried.

HISTORY

I got a Canon iR-ADV C2020i a couple of month ago because an office didn't want it anymore. The prints had lots of lines on it which I was able to fix by cleaning the OPC roller of the black drum with a microfiber cloth and isopropyl alcohol. I followed CET5018 GPR-36 Canon IR advance C2020/2035 Drum Unit Rebuild Kit Installation Video - YouTube The roller was exposed to daylight during the cleaning process but worked just fine after I reinstalled it. I also updated the printer to the latest firmware.

To then get it up some very narrow and steep stairs I had to take it apart quite a bit. I put the drums in a cardboard box and also took the laser scanner unit out since I needed the printer to be lighter. I also took other pieces off. After putting it back together I got error E110-0002. I checked the service manual and figured out that I forgot to reattach the laser scanner motor (M01). I can't seem to upload the manual. It can be found online searching for "Canon-imageRUNNER-ADVANCE-C2030-C2025-C2020-Series-sm.pdf"

PROBLEM

The printer starts up and sound normal but only prints blank pages. It does not matter if I print to it from a computer or from the service menu on the machine with page type 10.

WHAT I DID

I looked in the forums and only found this post CANON IR1133A - Blank pages during print and photocoping The laser scanner unit might be faulty. Maybe this can also happen with the C2020i and not produce an error code.

The fuser still seems to work since it gets warm and 3 pages of the many test prints had symbols on it in different locations. I thing they were still on the ITB. The ITB also moves normally.
    symbol1.jpgsymbol2.jpgsymbol3.jpg

I checked the laser scanner unit with an IR camera and saw flashes. The motor also moves. Since I was careful with that unit I don't think it's faulty. I also checked the cables connecting it to the DC controller PCB with a multimeter.

Since I didn't see any ink on the ITB I tried Full Adjust. That does not work though because nothing is printed. Quick Adjust did not change anything.
    full_adjust.jpg

I want to get this printer running again but I'm not sure what exactly the problem is. If the ITB or the OPC rollers of the drums were exposed to too much light then the parts that were on the inside should still work. Things would only be half broken, right? Maybe the box I put the drums in wasn't light-tight, but how can I be sure?

If it would be a problem with the laser shutter shouldn't there be an error code?

Here are some voltage and power values that might be helpful:
    voltage.jpgpower.jpg

What can I do to be sure about the cause of the issue?

Thanks for any helpful tips.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Canon iR-ADV C2020i only "prints" blank pages

Re: Canon iR-ADV C2020i only "prints" blank pages

I think you need to check the ribbon connectors to the laser very carefully. Sounds to me like something there is disconnected or not connected properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lochotzke View Post
    Hello,

I'm new here. So first some history and then my problem and what I already tried.

HISTORY

I got a Canon iR-ADV C2020i a couple of month ago because an office didn't want it anymore. The prints had lots of lines on it which I was able to fix by cleaning the OPC roller of the black drum with a microfiber cloth and isopropyl alcohol. I followed CET5018 GPR-36 Canon IR advance C2020/2035 Drum Unit Rebuild Kit Installation Video - YouTube The roller was exposed to daylight during the cleaning process but worked just fine after I reinstalled it. I also updated the printer to the latest firmware.

To then get it up some very narrow and steep stairs I had to take it apart quite a bit. I put the drums in a cardboard box and also took the laser scanner unit out since I needed the printer to be lighter. I also took other pieces off. After putting it back together I got error E110-0002. I checked the service manual and figured out that I forgot to reattach the laser scanner motor (M01). I can't seem to upload the manual. It can be found online searching for "Canon-imageRUNNER-ADVANCE-C2030-C2025-C2020-Series-sm.pdf"

PROBLEM

The printer starts up and sound normal but only prints blank pages. It does not matter if I print to it from a computer or from the service menu on the machine with page type 10.

WHAT I DID

I looked in the forums and only found this post CANON IR1133A - Blank pages during print and photocoping The laser scanner unit might be faulty. Maybe this can also happen with the C2020i and not produce an error code.

The fuser still seems to work since it gets warm and 3 pages of the many test prints had symbols on it in different locations. I thing they were still on the ITB. The ITB also moves normally.
    symbol1.jpgsymbol2.jpgsymbol3.jpg

I checked the laser scanner unit with an IR camera and saw flashes. The motor also moves. Since I was careful with that unit I don't think it's faulty. I also checked the cables connecting it to the DC controller PCB with a multimeter.

Since I didn't see any ink on the ITB I tried Full Adjust. That does not work though because nothing is printed. Quick Adjust did not change anything.
    full_adjust.jpg

I want to get this printer running again but I'm not sure what exactly the problem is. If the ITB or the OPC rollers of the drums were exposed to too much light then the parts that were on the inside should still work. Things would only be half broken, right? Maybe the box I put the drums in wasn't light-tight, but how can I be sure?

If it would be a problem with the laser shutter shouldn't there be an error code?

Here are some voltage and power values that might be helpful:
    voltage.jpgpower.jpg

What can I do to be sure about the cause of the issue?

Thanks for any helpful tips.
    Two principles that always work with dismantling and coupling a machine is: You always have to start coupling from the last area of dismantling, and You always have to finish tackling the areas you tampered with before you move to any other available troubleshooting option.
    Given the above, I wish to say that all your attention is on the laser unit. What about the drums you removed. Are they in the proper connection with the dev unit? Are the dev units which I'm sure you touched well fixed. What about the ITB, is everything well fixed?
    My suggestion is carefully bring all the areas you removed out again, and get each of them well seated again. You might be exaggerating with the Full Adjust and the voltage stuff.
    I hope you get round it!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Where did you get the drum rebuild kit?