Thread: Canon IPF605

Canon IPF605

Dear Fellas,
    I've recently purchased a Canon iPF605 large format printer from second hand real cheap, because the seller said the print head must be replaced since they haven't used it for a while and the print head dried.
    Two of the ink tanks were running low (M & Y), but I was able to print some test prints to figure out that the print head is probably partially clogged (blue test print is far from OK).
    Anyhow, after a few prints the magenta tank ran empty. (image attached)
    Now the printer is kinda stuck at this screen, can't get online...can't really do anything with it.
    To be honest my plan is to somehow get the printer to work fine and sell it, so I don't want to buy ink tanks and a print head yet to minimize the costs.
    I've read on other sites that is it possible to disable the ink level detection in order to refill the ink tanks, but since I'm stucked at the "ink tank is empty" screen I'm not sure how to do so.
    Any ideas? The printer is running firmware v1.07 though.
    I'm kindly ask you to spare me the "ink refilling is bad" comments.
    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Canon IPF605

Re: Canon IPF605

Quote Originally Posted by slav3r View Post
    Dear Fellas,
    I've recently purchased a Canon iPF605 large format printer from second hand real cheap, because the seller said the print head must be replaced since they haven't used it for a while and the print head dried.
    Two of the ink tanks were running low (M & Y), but I was able to print some test prints to figure out that the print head is probably partially clogged (blue test print is far from OK).
    Anyhow, after a few prints the magenta tank ran empty. (image attached)
    Now the printer is kinda stuck at this screen, can't get online...can't really do anything with it.
    To be honest my plan is to somehow get the printer to work fine and sell it, so I don't want to buy ink tanks and a print head yet to minimize the costs.
    I've read on other sites that is it possible to disable the ink level detection in order to refill the ink tanks, but since I'm stucked at the "ink tank is empty" screen I'm not sure how to do so.
    Any ideas? The printer is running firmware v1.07 though.
    I'm kindly ask you to spare me the "ink refilling is bad" comments.
    Thanks in advance.

You have no option you must replace the empty ink.

Yes the ink refills can be bad however if you simply want to get the machine running buy a refill kit they come with the chip to reset the empty message.

Once the ink is full you can run a head refresh this will clean the printhead if that doesn't work you can take the head out & clean with alcohol.
    Last edited by copier tech; 01-09-2021 at 03:04 PM.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    You gave no option you must replace the empty ink.

Yes the ink refills can be bad however if you simply want to get the machine running buy a refill kit they come with the chip to reset the empty message.

Once the ink is full you can run a head refresh this will clean the printhead if that doesn't work you can take the head out & clean with alcohol.

Thanks for the answer...that's what I was afraid of.
    An ink tank costs about 70USD here...I'm going to probably need two since the yellow is running out as well. They cost more than what I paid for the printer itself.
    Yeah I only need the ink to try to clean the head and then test how it went.
    I've already purchased two bottles of refill ink for the magenta and yellow, but unfortunately the chip was not included...I wasn't aware that the ink itself is kinda useless.
    Some other IPF printers have the option to disable the ink level detection if you put the empty tank back into the printer...not sure mine why doesn't do that.
    Well I might just buy the chips seperately and see how it goes.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Canon IPF605

Quote Originally Posted by slav3r View Post
    Thanks for the answer...that's what I was afraid of.
    An ink tank costs about 70USD here...I'm going to probably need two since the yellow is running out as well. They cost more than what I paid for the printer itself.
    Yeah I only need the ink to try to clean the head and then test how it went.
    I've already purchased two bottles of refill ink for the magenta and yellow, but unfortunately the chip was not included...I wasn't aware that the ink itself is kinda useless.
    Some other IPF printers have the option to disable the ink level detection if you put the empty tank back into the printer...not sure mine why doesn't do that.
    Well I might just buy the chips seperately and see how it goes.
    Take out an ink cart & double check it does have a chips some models use a led & sensor can’t remember what system your model uses.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk