Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Service manager question

Service manager question

I have been in the copier industry for just over 10 yrs. I have cerified on 4 different brands. I am looking at possibly moving to a new job. And if i take the job i might become service manager. I will know all those details after the interview. I have never been a service manager. And if i get the job its on a brand i havent worked on before. My question is for those who are a service manager what do you wish you had known in the beginning? Any advice you might share is greatly appreciated.

Re: Service manager question

Always listen to both sides customer and technician.
    I always like to go into the field and go with my tech's on problem calls or accounts.
    Good Luck

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Well it's a good star tif you have the technical background working in the field for years. Of course you need to be good with people, too - both customers and colleagues might be "hard to handle" from time to time so it's a big advantage if you're a good mediator. Plus I can only recommend to keep up with what's going on in the field and keep training yourself with new models etc. If there's an issue, like multiple visits for the same issue within a short period of time, then visit the customer together with the tech who before calling the manufacturer - that's good exercise. Many service managers out there kinda lost track and aren't a big help for the team. I know people who are calling in techs and discuss about service reports that are month old. Trying to shape things in real time is more important and fun compared to "managing" events from the past.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Service manager question

thanks for the advice. i have been a tech, as i mentioned, for over 10 yrs now. i currently do the new installs for customers. i have had other techs and sales personal with me on some of these installs. everyone compliments on what a good job i do on the demos. but my background helps, i already know what the most common questions are gonna be. so i make sure to touch base on that during my demo. heck the guy over our sales team asked if i would be interested in being in sales instead of a tech... this was after the first time he watched me give my demo. i don't think i could rely on my check being based off my sales.... and i enjoy interacting with the customers. but i do think i would give being a service manager a try. though all the conditions have to be met in order for me to take on such and roll and in order for me to move out of town. so i guess time will tell.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Service manager question

Quote Originally Posted by dalewb74 View Post
    thanks for the advice. i have been a tech, as i mentioned, for over 10 yrs now. i currently do the new installs for customers. i have had other techs and sales personal with me on some of these installs. everyone compliments on what a good job i do on the demos. but my background helps, i already know what the most common questions are gonna be. so i make sure to touch base on that during my demo. heck the guy over our sales team asked if i would be interested in being in sales instead of a tech... this was after the first time he watched me give my demo. i don't think i could rely on my check being based off my sales.... and i enjoy interacting with the customers. but i do think i would give being a service manager a try. though all the conditions have to be met in order for me to take on such and roll and in order for me to move out of town. so i guess time will tell.
    you've been a tech ,,,

now use the best and worst of your former bosses.

what did you like about them?

good standing with other techs?

was he fair but yet tough enough to get the job done?

what didn't you like?

(insert questions here)

being a tech you have had to interface with customers, do you get along with the MAJORITY?

main thing about handling techs as being a former tech ... treat them fairly ... be helpful with searching out bulletins etc..BACK them until they force you to do otherwise... stay on top of the tech sales is pushing into the field.. consider the techs lives OUT of the company. I'm sure I left out a few.

Mainly use the brains God gave you.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

I advanced within the company because my predecessor retired. There wasn't really a transition phase beside a few weeks so I kind of ended up thrown in the cold water wich was good in hindsight because I was able to find "my way" on how to proceed and what I'm gonna stick with/change/improve without beeing biased in any way. So all in all I'd say take the chance and give it a shot - I think it's a good opportunity and a better option then beeing out there in the field when you are getting older.