Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician
    Canon ImagePress C650 auto correct color mismatch fails, mismatching colors issue

Canon ImagePress C650 auto correct color mismatch fails, mismatching colors issue

Hello all,

I have an issue with our C650 ImagePress copier failing to perform auto correct mismatch. Colors (mostly yellow) are printing off and images are all blurry. Black printed text seem to be correct.
    I already cleaned registration patch sensor. Cleared error codes. Did several full adjust gradations but issue still remains. Several error codes since yesterday which do not appear today after clearing errors but still failing to correct color mismatch: E194-1014 and E194-3004
    Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
    1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Technician

Re: Canon ImagePress C650 auto correct color mismatch fails, mismatching colors issue

Quote Originally Posted by DMP View Post
    Hello all,

I have an issue with our C650 ImagePress copier failing to perform auto correct mismatch. Colors (mostly yellow) are printing off and images are all blurry. Black printed text seem to be correct.
    I already cleaned registration patch sensor. Cleared error codes. Did several full adjust gradations but issue still remains. Several error codes since yesterday which do not appear today after clearing errors but still failing to correct color mismatch: E194-1014 and E194-3004
    Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
    1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg
    Clean itb or itb replace or change your registration patches sensor

Technician

Re: Canon ImagePress C650 auto correct color mismatch fails, mismatching colors issue

Quote Originally Posted by tlanza View Post
    Clean itb or itb replace or change your registration patches sensor
    ITB unit looks brand new, no visual damage. I already cleaned the registration patch sensor. Trying to find a place where I can purchase it from. Do you know the canon part number?

Thanks
    D.
    Last edited by DMP; 03-18-2021 at 04:46 PM.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

My friend this issue have several causes.

1)First check if one of your drums have quality issues (specially on 33 width). Along with developing assemblies. Test halftone PG for each color.

2)Check the itb for any worn or damage spot .

3)Clean the patch sensors , specially the registration sensors , make sure to remove the unit and clean the sensors properly .

4)Clean the black patch sensor on the drum assembly .

5) If issue still the same , try to stop the machine when performing auto color mismatch . If all patches are properly printed on the itb . Then try replacing the patch sensor pcb

Good luck ,
    Waiting your reply .

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Technician

Thanks @Hishamawada for taking the time to write here.

1. I did test halftone PG for each color (full page #5). No visual defects on the print.
    2. Checked ITB belt, no visual damage. Looks in perfect condition.
    3. I did that yesterday. Since it was my first time taking all parts out to get to registration patch sensor I was extra cautious. Service manual suggests to open shutter and use cotton swabs with liquid (no alcohol) to wipe off each of the sensors lenses in one direction only. I was hesitant on that one and only wiped off the shutter and then blew off mist of air through each sensor without wiping them with cotton swab. By eye all sensors lenses looked clear.
    4. I have not done that yet. Later tonight will take ITB out again and locate that sensor. By any chance can you point out page from service manual showing the sensor in question?
    5. I did that. Interrupted process by turning power button off. Attached is an image of patches on the belt.
    Do you have a part number for the registration patch sensor unit so I can refer to it with my copier supplier? I might have to order it directly from canon as ti seems my preferred parts vendor (iteminconline.com) does not stock parts for imagepress copiers as they do for imagerunners (our old machine c5325).

P.S. Copier is at shy over 500k pages.
    Attached some images5.jpg6.jpg for your reference.

Thanks again,

D.

Quote Originally Posted by Hishamawada View Post
    My friend this issue have several causes.

1)First check if one of your drums have quality issues (specially on 33 width). Along with developing assemblies. Test halftone PG for each color.

2)Check the itb for any worn or damage spot .

3)Clean the patch sensors , specially the registration sensors , make sure to remove the unit and clean the sensors properly .

4)Clean the black patch sensor on the drum assembly .

5) If issue still the same , try to stop the machine when performing auto color mismatch . If all patches are properly printed on the itb . Then try replacing the patch sensor pcb

Good luck ,
    Waiting your reply .

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Ok my friend ,

For numbers
    1) the test should be on a paper with width 33cm to check the edges

2)ok very good

3) the patch sensor better cleaned with cotton swabs and alcohol , sometimes the eye cant see the dirt.

4) the black patch sensor is located on the black drum unit , when you remove the full assembly , the grey plastic on the front ( have 1 screw and 1 connector) removed and open the shutter and clean it with cotton swabs and alcohol. Be carefull not to damage the drum .

5) I prefer to open the door when trying to stop the process to check the patches on itb . The photos are not clear but if they are ok , then it could be the patch sensor pcb on the right side of the engine .

You should check the pcb connections and if any pin is bent.

Reg. Patch driver pcb Fm0-2925-000
    Reg. Patch sensor assembly Fm0-1449-010

But my thought if no power issue occurred , then it is not a pcb issue . Sensor assembly should not get defected.

The customer can print normaly , but might need to restart the printer several times to get color well registered.

Technician

Thanks again @Hishamawada for your continues help. I am actually the owner of the machine. We use it to print assembly manuals in-house and we do not have contract service agreement with Canon USA since we print a whole lot of color and cost per page would be off the roof. Downside is I have to become a "technician" every once and awhile. It is the first time our imagepress C650 needs parts taken out at 500k pages while with our imagerunner C5235 this was a daily occurrence until machine died at 650k pages.
    1) I will do another test with 13x19" paper which equals 33cm width.
    3) and 4) will do. Manual suggests to not use alcohol on actual sensors under shutter because it may smear and permanently damage the lens glass. Should I still use alcohol?
    5) will do that again the way you suggested.
    If PCB is bad shouldn't machine throw a code right away? Since yesterday machine has not given any error codes. It prints but all blurry as my original sample photo. I believe codes came up twice yesterday while doing gradation
    adjustment and went to "contact support" until I rebooted it. It has not been able to complete auto color mismatch correction still.
    While I though the registration sensor unit should have been the cheaper part vs the PCB it turned out sensor is $440 while PCB is only $177.
    Will do all suggestions and report back before I order the parts.

Thanks,

D.

Ok my friend ,

For numbers
    1) the test should be on a paper with width 33cm to check the edges

2)ok very good

3) the patch sensor better cleaned with cotton swabs and alcohol , sometimes the eye cant see the dirt.

4) the black patch sensor is located on the black drum unit , when you remove the full assembly , the grey plastic on the front ( have 1 screw and 1 connector) removed and open the shutter and clean it with cotton swabs and alcohol. Be carefull not to damage the drum .

5) I prefer to open the door when trying to stop the process to check the patches on itb . The photos are not clear but if they are ok , then it could be the patch sensor pcb on the right side of the engine .

You should check the pcb connections and if any pin is bent.

Reg. Patch driver pcb Fm0-2925-000
    Reg. Patch sensor assembly Fm0-1449-010

But my thought if no power issue occurred , then it is not a pcb issue . Sensor assembly should not get defected.

The customer can print normaly , but might need to restart the printer several times to get color well registered.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

You can just restart the machine until the colors are well registered and dont perform the auto color mismatch . This will allow you to printing normally .

A little bit of alchol 95° will not damage them .

Try cleaning first the patches sensors and black patch as mentioned .

Then try reconnecting the pcb and check pins .

And send me the PG test if possible for 33cm width .

Technician

Upon doing halftone PG on full sheet 13x29 it did show defects on all colors on rear side of page as error code suggested. Most visual defect appears on cyan page where besides rear marks of darker blue, there is also fade spots on both front/rear sides of sheet. The rest colors show mostly same marks of dark blue on rear side, but also have overall inconsistent color coverage (wavy fade across).
    The following link has all full size photos I took of each sheet as well as sheets after belt cleaning where same defect is seen on rear side.
    Index of /canon/C650

You can just restart the machine until the colors are well registered and dont perform the auto color mismatch . This will allow you to printing normally .

A little bit of alchol 95° will not damage them .

Try cleaning first the patches sensors and black patch as mentioned .

Then try reconnecting the pcb and check pins .

And send me the PG test if possible for 33cm width .

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Ok good .
    Its a drum issue , the patches are not printed properly on the belt to be read by the sensor. Replace the cyan drum .

Dont forget to go through the replacement procedure in the service mode .

Check the developer cyan if starter is falling from it on the bottom scrapper , (not toner) . Better replace if starter are falling, else only clean it.

Best of luck