Technician

Canon irc3380 control panel and touchscreen not responding

Hi. Hoping someone can advise.
    I've tried powering off and back on but no real change.
    The touchscreen and control panel are not responsive. The only button that appears to do anything is the on/off at the top right of the panel. All other buttons are unresponsive. As a result, I cannot get to the service menu either.

I had this issue once and a power cycle sorted it, but this time, I cannot get it to respond despite several power cycles.

The rest of the unit responds - open a door and it beeps with the correct warning message on screen. Lift the copier platter and it springs to life, etc.

I'm wondering if it's something low level like the hard drive or other?

Technician

Re: Canon irc3380 control panel and touchscreen not responding

Hmm. I don't know whether circumstantial or not. I powered off and unplugged the network cable before powering back on and it's now responding. Very strange.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tfboy View Post
    Hmm. I don't know whether circumstantial or not. I powered off and unplugged the network cable before powering back on and it's now responding. Very strange.
    Sometimes the controller has these problems and not just with the Canon brand

Technician

This problem has reappeared and it's driving me crazy.
    If I unplug the network cable, it sees that the cable is disconnected, but still it won't respond, neither will any of the buttons apart from the power one top right.
    This is becoming a showstopper as I often print labels using the side sheet feeder and need to have the touchscren to confirm paper size.

I don't think it's the touchscreen panel thing as the buttons on the side are unresponsive too.

I did read that this kind of problem occurs and often reuploading the firmware can fix, but I'm not sure if that's feasable or not - the Canon's website doesn't provide any more recent firmware.

I would have any issue doing a "factory reset" if such a thing is possible bearing in mind the touchscreen element doesn't work.

edit: I cannot copy documents either as the big green copy button isn't responsive.

Any ideas?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

If I unplug the network cable, it sees that the cable is disconnected, but still it won't respond, neither will any of the buttons apart from the power one top right.
    This is becoming a showstopper as I often print labels using the side sheet feeder and need to have the touchscren to confirm paper size.

I don't think it's the touchscreen panel thing as the buttons on the side are unresponsive too.

I did read that this kind of problem occurs and often reuploading the firmware can fix, but I'm not sure if that's feasable or not - the Canon's website doesn't provide any more recent firmware.

I would have any issue doing a "factory reset" if such a thing is possible bearing in mind the touchscreen element doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Are you from Reading UK? I do have a nearly new control panel ass'y for sale that should resolve the issue. (can also supply the firmware if you want to try that first)

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts

edit: I cannot copy documents either as the big green copy button isn't responsive.

Any ideas?
    Sounds like you need a new control panel
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    Are you from Reading UK? I do have a nearly new control panel ass'y for sale that should resolve the issue. (can also supply the firmware if you want to try that first)

Yes, in Reading UK.
    I did start having a look at it yesterday to remove it and found the rather fragile looking yellow-coloured wiring loom which had one rather badly pinched wire. I've unfolded it and tucked the loom well away from the trim parts that were pinching it and put the covers back on, and it's behaved since. So maybe a dodgy intermittent cabling issue?

I have struggled to get the triangular piece of trim just in front of the paper out tray back in place. The bottom lug just won't go in the recessed cutout.

If the problem re-occurs, I'll let you know and might take you up on that control panel.

At one point, I wondered if it was the network that somehow "crashed" the control panel as it was working fine and then stopped responding after I'd reconnected the network and sent a few jobs. But maybe that's just coincidental timing.

However, do you service / adjust these? I might be interested as the side feeder is a bit tempramental and I have to encourage the paper in. The hinged doors with the feeder doesn't seem to close very well and is bulging out so I guess something's a bit out of alignment and contributing to the side feeder paper jams. But that's another story

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Yes, in Reading UK.
    I did start having a look at it yesterday to remove it and found the rather fragile looking yellow-coloured wiring loom which had one rather badly pinched wire. I've unfolded it and tucked the loom well away from the trim parts that were pinching it and put the covers back on, and it's behaved since. So maybe a dodgy intermittent cabling issue?

I have struggled to get the triangular piece of trim just in front of the paper out tray back in place. The bottom lug just won't go in the recessed cutout.

If the problem re-occurs, I'll let you know and might take you up on that control panel.

At one point, I wondered if it was the network that somehow "crashed" the control panel as it was working fine and then stopped responding after I'd reconnected the network and sent a few jobs. But maybe that's just coincidental timing.

However, do you service / adjust these? I might be interested as the side feeder is a bit tempramental and I have to encourage the paper in. The hinged doors with the feeder doesn't seem to close very well and is bulging out so I guess something's a bit out of alignment and contributing to the side feeder paper jams. But that's another story

Yes I have had some success stripping & cleaning the control panel contacts.

Also cleaning the DF pick up & feed rollers with alcohol etc should improve the document feed.

If you could post some picture here with the issues you are concerned with we could offer some additional advice.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Technician

I think the problem was linked to a pinched cable in the loom from the panel back to the main board.

I followed the steps to remove the control panel from the unit and when I came to the part with the wiring loom, I noticed a few of the individual strands were pinched quite badly. I've unpinched them and bent the routing of the loom to ensure it doesn't happen again and the panel now works so maybe a faulty cable connection.

Thanks for the input