I just got me an IR C5235

Hi there,

I have been an IT conultant since 1995 with focus on Apple Macintosh. I have done a lot of repairs on printers as well, especially on Konica Minolta and Canon.

So, I just got me an IR C5235 from my old work, and have started to fix some things on it. First will be to swap the PCB board, it has the "everything is unresponsive but the energy saver button" error. So I am about to order a FM1-U976-000 board.

My post is mostly asking if anyone would like to give some expert tips about this printer? What to do, and not to do? Best place to order spare parts within EU? (eg, I need new assembly hinges)
    I would also like to get a hold of the service manual as well as firmware updates, but those questions should be posted on other parts of the forum, if I got it right?

Thanks,
    Andreas Carlsson, Sweden

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Re: I just got me an IR C5235

Hi Welcome to the forum

Compared to other manufactures Canon's cassette feed tyres wear out, as soon as you experience paper jams try the same job from a different paper tray, these tyres are simple to replace, an end user could do it.

You can update the firmware in additional functions / device administration, but if its working why fix it?
    Its unlikely you will notice any real difference with a newer f/w
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlsson View Post
    Hi there,

I have been an IT conultant since 1995 with focus on Apple Macintosh. I have done a lot of repairs on printers as well, especially on Konica Minolta and Canon.

So, I just got me an IR C5235 from my old work, and have started to fix some things on it. First will be to swap the PCB board, it has the "everything is unresponsive but the energy saver button" error. So I am about to order a FM1-U976-000 board.

My post is mostly asking if anyone would like to give some expert tips about this printer? What to do, and not to do? Best place to order spare parts within EU? (eg, I need new assembly hinges)
    I would also like to get a hold of the service manual as well as firmware updates, but those questions should be posted on other parts of the forum, if I got it right?

Thanks,
    Andreas Carlsson, Sweden
    Happy to help with the firmware, service & parts manuals should you wish to update.

Click Here To Download - Ricoh, Konica Minolta, Kyocera, Lexmark or Canon Firmware

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Thanks for the input Skynet (cool nic )!

Is it the same pickup rollers on all trays? I could buy one or two extras to have around I mean.

Regarding Firmware my policy is to always have the latest updates. This way I can feel confident that everything is fresh and up to date!
    And yes, it have bugged me a few times during the years, but I'm sure it's better than have old software/firmware.
    But I read you.

One drawback when the control panel doesn't work, is that the official User Guide that's available rely many settings on the control panel, instead of the Remote UI...

Very well, I have a problem: I have turned on Airprint, but when trying to print with that, I am asked to give acoount credentials. How do I get rid of that?
    When printing via IP I do not have that problem.

One more thing: Is there any way to control the scanner functions remotely (instead of via the CP)?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlsson View Post
    Thanks for the input Skynet (cool nic )!

Is it the same pickup rollers on all trays? I could buy one or two extras to have around I mean.

Regarding Firmware my policy is to always have the latest updates. This way I can feel confident that everything is fresh and up to date!
    And yes, it have bugged me a few times during the years, but I'm sure it's better than have old software/firmware.
    But I read you.
    There are three rollers used in the pickup assembly that can be swapped over just put them in the corresponding place.
    They look like this. Pull out the paper cassette, and you will see them, to remove open the right door and lower right door.

The thinner gray one lasts quite well it's the other two that wear particularly the larger gray one.

Black roller FC6-7083-000 ROLLER, FEED/SEPARATION
    Gray roller FC6-6661-000 ROLLER, SEPARATION

As for the firmware this is how you do it,
    CANON IR-ADV FIRMWARE UPDATE ONLINE - YouTube
    When you think you have made a procedure idiot proof your company employs a better idiot.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Before you start sinking gobs of money into the machine, make sure you can get the firmware(hard to get here), and also, what makes you think that's the board you need? When you get the one light on the control panel, more than likely it's the hard drive. If you have never done it before, you sir is going to need a lot of help. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by tech28 View Post
    Before you start sinking gobs of money into the machine, make sure you can get the firmware(hard to get here), and also, what makes you think that's the board you need? When you get the one light on the control panel, more than likely it's the hard drive. If you have never done it before, you sir is going to need a lot of help. Good Luck!
    Well all things I've read on the net about this fault indicates it's the board. I have ordered it from UK now, we will know in a couple of weeks.

Thanks.

Thank you all for the feedback and replies!

I have managed to update the firmware in the Remote UI, and I have also gotten the hands on a service manual (what a beast! Will be perfect to read a couple of pages per day ) . Spare parts are ordered (Front cover hinges and PCB1), and i will hopefully have a fully working copier soon.