Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Advice on taking on an IR ADV C5045i

Hi

An existing customer has received a letter from Canon saying they will no longer support their C5045i from the end of June. They have got in touch with us about looking after it. We have zero experience on Canon machines. We do Konica based colour and Kyocera based mono devices.

Looking to see if they are straight forward enough to work on etc or would it be something to avoid.

They are a good customer and don't want to say no, but really don't want to take something on that could be problematic down the line.

Thanks

James
    Everything that has a beginning, has an end.....

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Advice on taking on an IR ADV C5045i

s/Accessories
    The parts support period for the models/accessories
    listed on this page have reached their end date.
    Category GRAPHIC IMAGE RUNNER Scheduled Active
    Parts Estimated End Date Please select the month and year, then click the Download All Parts button if you wish to
    obtain a list of all part numbers whose support period ends for the date selected.
    Jun Dec 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025 2026 2027
    Model/Accessory Parts End Date
    IR ADV C5045 12-2019

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D Colour View Post
    Hi

An existing customer has received a letter from Canon saying they will no longer support their C5045i from the end of June. They have got in touch with us about looking after it. We have zero experience on Canon machines. We do Konica based colour and Kyocera based mono devices.

Looking to see if they are straight forward enough to work on etc or would it be something to avoid.

They are a good customer and don't want to say no, but really don't want to take something on that could be problematic down the line.

Thanks

James
    Don't worry about getting the parts Canon will stock still supply parts for much older machines also the irac52xx series uses the same parts they quite a good machine easy to work on
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

get a service manual if you plan on working on these.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I would agree with the previous replies. I maintain six IR ADV C5051 machines (which are pretty much the same as what you're asking about).

They are overall solid machines. Replace drums once in a while, a cleaning blade here or there, and they keep on working. Accessing the parts in the machine and replacing them is relatively simple, providing you have a service manual.

Strange though that Canon would be saying they are not going to service them... Per my experience they just keep increasing the click rate, and getting even more money per print, and laughing all the way to the bank! Per the service contracts (normally) they can increase the rate annually as they see fit, and they do! The older the machines get, the more money they make on them, as far as I can see. Yes the parts get more expensive and hard to come by, but when you're (Canon is) making $0.16 per color print, that adds up!

Now, it could be that the customer is mostly using it as a scanner, or some strange scenario wherein Canon doesn't make money, in which case I'd understand.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by bret@cos.flag.org View Post
    I would agree with the previous replies. I maintain six IR ADV C5051 machines (which are pretty much the same as what you're asking about).

They are overall solid machines. Replace drums once in a while, a cleaning blade here or there, and they keep on working. Accessing the parts in the machine and replacing them is relatively simple, providing you have a service manual.

Strange though that Canon would be saying they are not going to service them... Per my experience they just keep increasing the click rate, and getting even more money per print, and laughing all the way to the bank! Per the service contracts (normally) they can increase the rate annually as they see fit, and they do! The older the machines get, the more money they make on them, as far as I can see. Yes the parts get more expensive and hard to come by, but when you're (Canon is) making $0.16 per color print, that adds up!

Now, it could be that the customer is mostly using it as a scanner, or some strange scenario wherein Canon doesn't make money, in which case I'd understand.
    Agree, the machine are pretty solid. But you need also take care of thing in the future regarding this machine. The thing about canon machine is its pretty straight forward regarding repairing this machine, and do minor services.these machines be are durable. But as these machines ages they will introduce weird and baffling problem. changing the drum and fuser film are easy. Changing Drum cleaning blade not so easy. You also need to watch itb area which is itb roller, itb belt and especially itb cleaning blade, which introduce dirty stripe and affect all color and bw printing. These can be replaced. You can introduce bi annually full cleaning these machine if you customer use the machine very hard. Pickup area need to be cleaned, and laser unit too.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Any idea how many b&w and color prints on it? One thing about Canon is the drums usually last the rated amount and do not see poor copies from drums unless they need replacement. Transfer cleaning units, fuser film and feed rollers are the usual service calls I see. I think they are one of Canon's better machines but I am a small dealer so the sample is small compared to others.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D Colour View Post
    Hi

Thanks

James
    What sort of millage has it done & do have any service history for it?

These old 50xx series did have a few issues.

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

The only thing to worry about is the hopper seals. lol Push in the shutter and grab the seal with some curved needle nose pliers and rip out the seal.
    I have two machines I have had to rip out seals on.
    Those are popping e027 codes. This code can send you in all kinds of directions. Check here first.

You can buy the whole ITB unit for around $550 . they have a universal one now that fits all of them.