Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

iR ADV C3530i Gen 1 - "Ghosting"

Hey guys

need some suggestions with a pretty baffling problem. See Sample 1 for problem. Note arrows at bottom of page indicating feed direction of the paper when printing.

Attachment 49041
    Attachment 49040

I noticed the following while testing:

• Ran test prints like sample 1 with a color block for each of the colors (C, M, Y, and K block) with colored text below the block. Problem from sample 1 only happens with Cyan and Magenta block.
    • Ran same test prints with C, M, Y, and K blocks, but with black text below block. The problem does not occur on any of the prints. See Sample 2
    • Ran test prints with Black block, but this time with C, M, and Y text below block. The problem does not occur on any of the prints
    • Grayscale block with black and colored text below - problem is there
    • Single color prints for each color (Cyan block + Cyan Text, Yellow block + yellow Text etc) the problem is not there
    • Adjusted paper type to Heavy 3 but printed on normal paper, for sake of increased transfer, increased fuser temp, and slower speed for more time in fuser, but problem is still there.
    • Repitition of problem is 94mm apart which is circumference of drum.
    • Swapped Yellow and Magenta Drums and Cyan and black drums (unaffected colors from earlier tests). ran same test as above and got same results.
    • Adjusted pre exposure settings in service mode - made no difference.

looking at the above test results, i am thinking to replace the Cyan and Magenta developers, and maybe the drums for Cyan and Magenta too just for good measure, but I'm not entirely convinced of my diagnosis yet. The reason I'm thinking Devs is because although the distance in repitition is the drum diameter, and it is only on Cyan and Magenta, the problem didn't move to other colours when i swapped the drums with the other colours. Also, if it was fuser or ITB it wouldve affected all colours.

The other reason that I am thinking developer, is this machine has always only used OEM toner, but recently generics were used because of stock shortage of OEM. The users can't remember which colors they used generic toner on, but my guess is Cyan and Magenta.

Any suggestions or help will be appreciated.

Thank you

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: iR ADV C3530i Gen 1 - "Ghosting"

Quote Originally Posted by TA_Tech View Post
    Hey guys

need some suggestions with a pretty baffling problem. See Sample 1 for problem. Note arrows at bottom of page indicating feed direction of the paper when printing.

Attachment 49041
    Attachment 49040

• Ran test prints like sample 1 with a color block for each of the colors (C, M, Y, and K block) with colored text below the block. Problem from sample 1 only happens with Cyan and Magenta block.
    • Ran same test prints with C, M, Y, and K blocks, but with black text below block. The problem does not occur on any of the prints. See Sample 2
    • Ran test prints with Black block, but this time with C, M, and Y text below block. The problem does not occur on any of the prints
    • Single color prints for each color (Cyan block + Cyan Text, Yellow block + yellow Text etc) the problem is not there
    • Adjusted paper type to Heavy 3 but printed on normal paper, for sake of increased transfer, increased fuser temp, and slower speed for more time in fuser, but problem is still there.
    • Swapped Yellow and Magenta Drums and Cyan and black drums (unaffected colors from earlier tests). ran same test as above and got same results.

looking at the above test results, i am thinking to replace the Cyan and Magenta developers, and maybe the drums for Cyan and Magenta too just for good measure, but I'm not entirely convinced of my diagnosis yet. The reason I'm thinking Devs is because although the distance in repitition is the drum diameter, and it is only on Cyan and Magenta, the problem didn't move to other colours when i swapped the drums with the other colours. Also, if it was fuser or ITB it wouldve affected all colours.

The other reason that I am thinking developer, is this machine has always only used OEM toner, but recently generics were used because of stock shortage of OEM. The users can't remember which colors they used generic toner on, but my guess is Cyan and Magenta.

Thank you
    I agree with you on developers C and M, I had a similar problem on a Ricoh a few years ago but I changed the whole unit

teacher-guide-expert-guru 2,500+ Posts

Ater replacing devs switch to OEM toner.Did you compare the values of the developers?
    Practice makes perfect
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it
    A picture is worth a thousand words
    If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TA_Tech View Post
    Hey guys

Attachment 49041
    Attachment 49040

Thank you

Fit genuine toner, new dev units & vac out the hoppers.

An expensive mistake using 'generic' toner.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk