Thread: c5550 E602-0020

Senior Tech 250+ Posts ReproKev's Avatar

c5550 E602-0020

I know an e602 is a hard drive error, but the 0020 sub-code isn't in my manual (revision 4) so I don't know what the specific problem is.

To get the customer up and running quickly (no new hdd on hand), my plan is to pull the hard drive out of a c5540i that I have in my shop, install it in the customers c5550i, boot up holding 2&8, format it and install firmware via a USB flash-drive.

I read on another thread that these newer machines have the hard drive matched to the machine. Is that true? if so, how should I proceed? Hook up the c5540i hdd to my pc and format it first?

Also, what is the 0020 sub-code?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20 year tech's Avatar

Re: c5550 E602-0020

From the rev 17 manual

Error E602-0020

Detection Description- Corruption of Database managing user mode / service mode was detected

Remedy- While this error occurs, backup of the setting values is disabled. in addition it may not be recorded in error log

perform the following in order while checking to see if the error has been cleared.

1. Turn off than on the main power ( Pretty sure you must have done this one )

2. Enter safe mode using 2+8 at startup and format the HDD using a usb flash drive.

3. Replace HDD

Don't swap the drive with one from another device . you can Brick it ! see attached tech pub

The following I cut and pasted from a kbase article it refers to the DX series but worth a shot

Product : imageRUNNER ADVANCE DX (BW) series / imageRUNNER ADVANCE DX COLOR series

Title : E602-0020 Error Code displays when running a communcation test and also during a COM-TEST through service mode

Error :
    An error code of E602-0020 appears either by running a communication test from the control panel, COUNTER>MONITORING SERVICE>YES, or by entering Service Mode SERVICE MODE>COPIER>FUNCTION>INSTALL>COM-TEST>OK. The error code would occur immediately after. The machine can be rebooted and when it comes up the code no longer displays. The code would appear again in the same way. The Service Manual's steps were followed and the Hard Drive was replaced and the error still occurred the same way. The Main Controller was replaced although the Service Manual does not suggest but the error code still happened.
    Error code definition is as follows:
    E602-0020
    Corruption of database managing user mode/service mode was detected
    Remedy
    In addition it may not be recorded in the error log
    1. Turn OFF and then ON the Main Power
    2. Enter Safe Mode and format the HDD using a USB flash drive
    3. Replace the HDD

Workaround :

The HDD and Main Controller were already replaced for this issue without a solution. The suggestion of clearing Sector 0 of the HDD was recommended and provided a solution for this issue. If the error appears in the same way either by communication test or through Service Mode COM-TEST, try clearing Sector 0 of the HDD.
    Sector 0 of the HDD can be cleared by accessing service mode, select the sector by,
    SERVICE MODE>COPIER>FUNCTION>SYSTEM>CHECK-TYPE> in this case select 0 and press OK
    then execute the Hard drive sector clear by,
    SERVICE MODE>COPIER>FUNCTION>SYSTEM>HD-CLEAR>select 1 and OK and it will take care of this on the next start up
    The machine will initialize the selected sector, and in this case it was resolved by clearing the the entire HDD. This step was still needed even though the HDD was replaced already. This resolved this error code and no further parts were needed.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 20 year tech; 09-08-2021 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Cut and paste did not work

Thanks for the info! And yes, I have turned it off and on again . The start up time takes at least 5 minutes and even after fully booted up it takes at least 10-15 seconds to react to touch screen input.

I'm heading there today to reformat their hard drive with a USB flash drive. If that doesn't work, I'll try the the comm test troubleshooting you posted and probably order a hard drive. Even if I get it working today it's good to have one on hand, especially since I'm working on more and more of this series.

Success!! At least for today.

I put the USB flash drive in and booted up holding 2+8 and was all ready to format and load software. When it booted up, it came to a black screen that said "1 test ready to run. HDD Check" or something similar (I should've taken a pic). I hit "0" to start the HDD check. A few seconds later it rebooted and started up normally with no problems. I cycled the power switch 2-3 times and it booted up normally every time with no delay to touch screen input.

I'm not sure if the HDD Check did anything, or if it was just stuck in memory and wouldn't let the machine process normally?

I did install a decent 20A surge protector while I was there and ordered a new hard drive so I have it if the problem returns.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20 year tech's Avatar

Cool !! Let us know if it comes back. Gotta love fixes that dont require parts or turning a screwdriver.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    c5550 E602-0020

Mercy Mercy. Those ESP products are Mandatory here. Wouldnt run one anywhere with out. When customer decides to move it to another room and plug it into a defective outlet with a bad ground...you will be the hero and inform them you saved their machine from meltdown with the ESP.

Well, that didn't last long. The machine kept slowing down and almost locking up every time the customer would send a scan job of more than a few pages.

I went back today with a new hard drive, installed it, formatted it, and loaded system software. I hung out while they printed and scanned a few jobs. Everything is running great with no slow downs or codes.