Canon iR7105 Issues

So, I've been running this machine for the last five years and it has been one issue after another (I'm a user, not a tech). A few months ago, all four trays stopped detecting paper and on the advice of tech here, I had to replace the DC board at a hefty cost. A couple of days ago, I started getting jam errors on the right door though there was nothing there. The tech tried dusting out the sensors to no avail, but as he did that the issue of no paper detected resurfaced, only this time tray 2 detects paper but the rest are all dead. I don't want to spend again to replace the board. I'm just looking for some guidance here if that is indeed the issue or could it be something else. I'm really wondering if these machines are so expensive to maintain?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Canon iR7105 Issues

Re: Canon iR7105 Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperventilate View Post
    So, I've been running this machine for the last five years and it has been one issue after another (I'm a user, not a tech). A few months ago, all four trays stopped detecting paper and on the advice of tech here, I had to replace the DC board at a hefty cost. A couple of days ago, I started getting jam errors on the right door though there was nothing there. The tech tried dusting out the sensors to no avail, but as he did that the issue of no paper detected resurfaced, only this time tray 2 detects paper but the rest are all dead. I don't want to spend again to replace the board. I'm just looking for some guidance here if that is indeed the issue or could it be something else. I'm really wondering if these machines are so expensive to maintain?
    In my opinion as a technician it would be advisable to start a service contract with a direct Canon company, always if the machine works a lot ...

teacher-guide-expert-guru 2,500+ Posts
    Canon iR7105 Issues

I agree.
    The 7105 is a production printer and too expensive to maintain for the end user. The authorized service has the support from the device manufacturer and spare parts on stock with which they can detect a fault.
    Practice makes perfect
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it
    A picture is worth a thousand words
    If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself

Senior Tech 250+ Posts ReproKev's Avatar

When talking to end users/customers, I always compare copiers to automobiles. They're similar in a lot of ways - they both need parts and maintenance on a regular basis and when they get older, they will both break down more often.

Can you keep a 15 year old copier running? Yes, but expect it to have breakdowns more often (and more expensive) than a brand new or low mileage 2-4 year old used model. The problems it does have may be boards, drive assemblies and other major components that aren't your normal routine maintenance items (engine and transmission problems vs oil changes, brakes and tires). Old cars/copiers are way more expensive to maintain than newer ones.

On top of that, most manufacturers stop supporting copiers when they reach the 10 year old mark. Some parts may not be available after that.

As far as your specific machine goes, a lot has to do with how you run it, what environment it's placed in, what quality you expect from it, and does it get regular cleanings/ have all the normal maintenance done when needed?

If the copier suits your needs and you're only putting a few hundred dollars into it here and there, you may want to keep it and just continue fixing it until it's either not cost effective or you're losing too much production because of down time.

Thank you all so much for your time and assistance. I just got the Engineer to come in and take the DC Board for checks, fingers crossed now. I may mostly sell the machine and go for an iR8205 because these down times are affecting my output. Agreed 100% that the older things are, the more they demand our attention and maintenance.