Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Angry Help with Canon C356iF III

Hello everyone! Im very new Canon printers and have searched diligently on this forum to try and follow any guidance or tutorials. I have a barely used printer model C356iF III. The HDD was shredded for security reason before transferring to me as the new owner. I bought the exact same model HDD. I bought the firmware already (We can supply most major manufacturers printer & photocopier firmware. Click Here To Download - Ricoh, Konica Minolta, Kyocera, Lexmark or Canon Firmware). Im trying to figure out how to format the new drive. I dont see an option in SST or how to do it from the printer. When I start the printer in regular mode I get error: E602-001. When I try booting printer while holding 2+8 with the firmware loaded on the USB drive using SST it simply shows: Wait for USB/SST Connect Menu

Checking USB
    Waiting SST connection

Nothing happens. Now here's the strange part; When I remove the HDD from the printer and plug it to my laptop it will no longer detect. I tried this with 2 more drives and same result. Its as if the printer kills the HDD unless I'm missing something?? Very frustrating.....

Update** I used an app called Hard Disk Sentinel and the app sees the drive but says this about it:

The detected total capacity (0 B) of the drive is not correct, the capacity should be 465 GB.
    Using the drive may cause file system corruption and/or data loss.
    It is recommended to check and modify the configuration or upgrade the operating system, hard disk controller and/or drivers to safely use this device.

No way to format it though.

Update 2** Ok i found out Canon uses something called HDD Lock. HDD Password Lock - The imageRUNNER ADVANCE Series offer a feature called HDD Lock. HDD Lock provides the capability of securing the HDD with a Password making it difficult to access the data that is stored on the hard disk to be accessed. If the HDD is physically removed from the device, its data cannot be accessed via a PC. More info here: https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/a.../t-157793.html

Back to attempting to format the drive again from the printer or SST app. Any help would be appreciated. Looks like all the drives I plugged up before have been locked.
    Last edited by ypanasyuk; 03-02-2022 at 06:08 AM.

teacher-guide-expert-guru 2,500+ Posts
    Help with Canon C356iF III

Re: Help with Canon C356iF III

If the firmware is properly loaded on the usb stick and if the stick is Formatted with the FAT file system it should show on the display.
    When the printer is in download mode, after inserting usb, a menu appears with which you first format the disc and install the system.
    Practice makes perfect
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it
    A picture is worth a thousand words
    If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself

FAT32 is fine right? If so thats what I used.

teacher-guide-expert-guru 2,500+ Posts
    Help with Canon C356iF III

Then the system from sst to usb is not installed properly.
    Practice makes perfect
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it
    A picture is worth a thousand words
    If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself

Senior Tech 250+ Posts alex@wocltd.com's Avatar

When I try booting printer while holding 2+8 with the firmware loaded on the USB drive using SST it simply shows: Wait for USB/SST Connect Menu

Checking USB
    Waiting SST connection

try another usb either the usb is bad or your not doing right from sst