Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Loading Firmware Replaced Hard Drive Canon IRAC 55XXi Series machines

I'm a Xerox dealer but I also really like the Canon products. So I have quite a few of them in the field. Recently I had to replace a hard drive on a Canon C5540i and was told by a fellow tech, I just needed to load the firmware onto the USB, plug it in, and turn the machine on and it would auto load from the USB and onto the new Hard drive.

Obviously, I now see that doesn't work. With Xerox we load a file we create called "Forced Boot" Or proper lingo "Alt_Boot" and then follow the same above mentioned steps. But with Xerox our operating system isn't on the Hard drive.

So my question is, can someone please tell me the steps I need to get the new Hard Drive to accept the firmware? My client is down and I need to come up with a solution pretty quick. Thanks in advance to anyone who offers help.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Loading Firmware Replaced Hard Drive Canon IRAC 55XXi Series machines

Did you replace the HDD with an “approved” model?

As I recall, only certain models will work; you can’t just plop in any old drive.

It’s been years since I touched a Canon, but I bet it’s still the same deal.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

teacher-guide-expert-guru 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisban35 View Post
    I'm a Xerox dealer but I also really like the Canon products. So I have quite a few of them in the field. Recently I had to replace a hard drive on a Canon C5540i and was told by a fellow tech, I just needed to load the firmware onto the USB, plug it in, and turn the machine on and it would auto load from the USB and onto the new Hard drive.

Obviously, I now see that doesn't work. With Xerox we load a file we create called "Forced Boot" Or proper lingo "Alt_Boot" and then follow the same above mentioned steps. But with Xerox our operating system isn't on the Hard drive.

So my question is, can someone please tell me the steps I need to get the new Hard Drive to accept the firmware? My client is down and I need to come up with a solution pretty quick. Thanks in advance to anyone who offers help.
    As Ken said the disc must be for the right model.

Upload firmware to USB using SST. If you haven’t done this yet, you’ll probably have problems.
    Press and hold numbers 2 and 8 on the keyboard and turn on the printer. Insert USB.
    Format the disk then install the firmware (update auto).
    Practice makes perfect
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it
    A picture is worth a thousand words
    If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zoraldinho View Post

Upload firmware to USB using SST. If you haven’t done this yet, you’ll probably have problems.
    Press and hold numbers 2 and 8 on the keyboard and turn on the printer. Insert USB.
    Thank you both for your input. The one that's in the machine is Toshiba, but I've seen some with Hitachi, so I was using the Hitachi version. I have the proper firmware on the USB and had done it successfully before, I just forgot the 2 and 8 key, format HD part..

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the one part which was most important was making sure it was the exact same GB size too. The machine had a "Toshiba MQ01ABF032" HD which is 320GB." I'm attempting to replace it with a Hitachi 0J11523 - 320GB HD"

Also, I do not have the SST software on my laptop since I'm not an authorized Canon Dealer. Is there somewhere I can go and download this software? I'd sure like a copy of it since I work on so many of them.

HD's Canon IRAC5540i.jpg

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zoraldinho View Post

One last question to go along with my first response above.....On the thumbdrive, do I leave the unzipped firmware files in the "folder" that it creates, or do I move everything in that folder out to the root of the drive?? ie E:/files or E:/Folder/files??

Thanks!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Gen 3 devices (all editions - C55xx, 45xx...etc...), when needing to format the HDD, after the format is complete just cycle power. The System Software backup resides on the Flash PCB. Canon hard drive part number FK4-1550-000. We order from Hytec at about $80.00 Also you unzip the file to the root directory if you are working with firmware.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bobburnsreb View Post
    Gen 3 devices (all editions - C55xx, 45xx...etc...), when needing to format the HDD, after the format is complete just cycle power. The System Software backup resides on the Flash PCB. Canon hard drive part number FK4-1550-000. We order from Hytec at about $80.00 Also you unzip the file to the root directory if you are working with firmware.
    Thank you sir! Much appreciated! So I'll assume, I just insert HD, Power on using 2 and 8 key, go to format HD, once complete, simply doa Cycle Power and the internal Flash will do the rest? Or leave the USB in place with all files at the root?

Sorry, you know us Xerox Type, we need it in Crayon! LOL

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Just replace the HDD and reboot the machine in 2+8 and format. you got it right. you can leave the usb in until all is good.

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts

One last question to go along with my first response above.....On the thumbdrive, do I leave the unzipped firmware files in the "folder" that it creates, or do I move everything in that folder out to the root of the drive?? ie E:/files or E:/Folder/files??

Thanks!
    You have to extract then register on sst the transfer to usb using sst
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com

Field Engineer 100+ Posts fchu5959's Avatar

Hi,

What make you think that the HD is at fault?What was the issue? Did the machine pop up any error code or shows any other symptoms?
    Ifever it happens that you have to replace the HD,then ,no doubt, you will have the answers here;

Regards