Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

New HDD in IR ADV C5051

Hi All,

This is a very similar question to iR ADV C5051 - Install a new HDD and I have read through that thread in full, yet I don't think that answers this question - or maybe it did if it were 2013, but here we are in 2022!

I have a IR ADV C5051 which worked totally fine, but the HDD was removed as the location of it changed hands and the HDD was kept with the previous users.

I have firmware for these machines and I was able to use that firmware file to update the firmware a couple of years ago, and I have a blank normal HDD, not from Canon.

The thread from 2013 said that I have to have a HDD from Canon. It also said I can format the HDD but I have to use SST. It also said I can do all of the above with a USB flash drive with the right software. Could it be that I just need to put the firmware files on a USB stick and use the 2, 8 buttons at boot-up and install the software/firmware? Seems too easy. But if so I'll take it!

Any advice would be appreciated.

teacher-guide-expert-guru 2,500+ Posts
    New HDD in IR ADV C5051

Re: New HDD in IR ADV C5051

Work only with Canon HDD for advance series
    20xx
    30xx
    40xx
    50xx
    Practice makes perfect
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it
    A picture is worth a thousand words
    If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    New HDD in IR ADV C5051

Quote Originally Posted by bret@cos.flag.org View Post
    Hi All,

This is a very similar question to iR ADV C5051 - Install a new HDD and I have read through that thread in full, yet I don't think that answers this question - or maybe it did if it were 2013, but here we are in 2022!

I have a IR ADV C5051 which worked totally fine, but the HDD was removed as the location of it changed hands and the HDD was kept with the previous users.

I have firmware for these machines and I was able to use that firmware file to update the firmware a couple of years ago, and I have a blank normal HDD, not from Canon.

The thread from 2013 said that I have to have a HDD from Canon. It also said I can format the HDD but I have to use SST. It also said I can do all of the above with a USB flash drive with the right software. Could it be that I just need to put the firmware files on a USB stick and use the 2, 8 buttons at boot-up and install the software/firmware? Seems too easy. But if so I'll take it!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Canon restrict what HDD’s you can use so the best way is to order a drive from Canon or purchase an identical type to the one you removed (you can pick these up on eBay cheaply)

Then if you have the firmware register this is the SST & you can create a USB boot pen to format & install the system software etc.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Thanks for the responses!

I got this to work by:

Using a random HDD that I had. I know it was not the same size as the one that was previously in there, but the label looked to be similar so I think it was the same brand. (I don't have the old one anymore to really compare.) Luckily I had a couple HDDs on hand and one of them worked!

As suggested by CopierTech, I used a properly set up pen drive, which I set up using SST, and it worked by holding 2 and 8 at boot up, with the pen drive inserted. I just followed the prompts on the screen. I was able to format the drive, and then after a reboot, I installed the latest firmware/software using what was on the pen drive.

Now up and running again with my new (repurposed) HDD!