Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Well I'm in over my head...

So I just bought a used ImagePress C710. I have the booklet finisher and paper deck as well. I'm on the search for trimmers, so we'll see when they turn up. I have never worked with much beyond home printers, so this is a new area for me.

I want to make 8+ page (Cover Pages 1 and 8, inside cover 2,7, and inside pages 3-6) booklets for flyers to mail out, but I just cannot find anything that's giving me the answers I need. So, I have a few questions if anyone could help (any and all help is greatly appreciated!) The tech that I have doesn't know how to do a whole heck of a lot so I can't ask him for help on most of this. So, here it goes:

Some things to note: I am using InDesign for my booklet design.

1. My finished booklet is 8.5x11, saddle-stitched. I want to use different media for the cover than I do for the inside pages (pages 3-6). When I try to set this up, I go to print, and the job just disappears and doesn't print. No error, nothing. Spools, then disappears. I'm sure I'm not setting this up correctly. How can I set it up to pull the cover stock from Tray 5 and the inside media from Tray 4 and stitch/fold that?

2. When I print the booklet out, the staples are too close in the center (to each other). I messed with the settings on the machine itself, but the booklet still prints with the staples pretty close together. I couldn't find a setting for staple spacing on the print preferences on the computer. What can I do to change the staple spacing?

3. When I print out the booklet on any media, saddle-stitched, the back cover bleeds over the binding a little bit. Which setting would affect this?

4. The Canon manuals reference a HOLD button on the main screen. Mine doesn't have it. Before I start messing with the settings, should I be updating the software/firmware/etc. regularly? Do I need to pay a subscription? Why doesn't my machine have the HOLD option on the main screen?

5. I want full bleed on my flyers. Until I find trimmers, I am going to get a stand-alone trimmer, but wanted to see if anyone here knew if there was a way to print the cover and inside pages (skip the stitch and fold), trim the pages manually, then run them through the machine again JUST to stitch and fold. Is there a way to do this?

6. I want to be able to send scans via email. I found some things online to set it up to a Google Workspace email, but I just cannot get it going. Anybody have a good tutorial?

7. Macs..... had trouble making them work with the Ricoh we had, and now I cannot get the software to install. Any suggestions?

Again, all help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!!!!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Well I'm in over my head...

Re: Well I'm in over my head...

Quote Originally Posted by rallysport096 View Post
    So I just bought a used ImagePress C710. I have the booklet finisher and paper deck as well. I'm on the search for trimmers, so we'll see when they turn up. I have never worked with much beyond home printers, so this is a new area for me.

I want to make 8+ page (Cover Pages 1 and 8, inside cover 2,7, and inside pages 3-6) booklets for flyers to mail out, but I just cannot find anything that's giving me the answers I need. So, I have a few questions if anyone could help (any and all help is greatly appreciated!) The tech that I have doesn't know how to do a whole heck of a lot so I can't ask him for help on most of this. So, here it goes:

Some things to note: I am using InDesign for my booklet design.

1. My finished booklet is 8.5x11, saddle-stitched. I want to use different media for the cover than I do for the inside pages (pages 3-6). When I try to set this up, I go to print, and the job just disappears and doesn't print. No error, nothing. Spools, then disappears. I'm sure I'm not setting this up correctly. How can I set it up to pull the cover stock from Tray 5 and the inside media from Tray 4 and stitch/fold that?

2. When I print the booklet out, the staples are too close in the center (to each other). I messed with the settings on the machine itself, but the booklet still prints with the staples pretty close together. I couldn't find a setting for staple spacing on the print preferences on the computer. What can I do to change the staple spacing?

3. When I print out the booklet on any media, saddle-stitched, the back cover bleeds over the binding a little bit. Which setting would affect this?

4. The Canon manuals reference a HOLD button on the main screen. Mine doesn't have it. Before I start messing with the settings, should I be updating the software/firmware/etc. regularly? Do I need to pay a subscription? Why doesn't my machine have the HOLD option on the main screen?

5. I want full bleed on my flyers. Until I find trimmers, I am going to get a stand-alone trimmer, but wanted to see if anyone here knew if there was a way to print the cover and inside pages (skip the stitch and fold), trim the pages manually, then run them through the machine again JUST to stitch and fold. Is there a way to do this?

6. I want to be able to send scans via email. I found some things online to set it up to a Google Workspace email, but I just cannot get it going. Anybody have a good tutorial?

7. Macs..... had trouble making them work with the Ricoh we had, and now I cannot get the software to install. Any suggestions?

Again, all help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!!!!

You are as you say in over your head.

You need to book a production print engineer.

Any good engineer will set this device up for you, provide training & more importantly ongoing service.

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Re: Well I'm in over my head...

While I can appreciate an answer like that, is there any way to learn or get help with this without booking someone like this?

While we're on it, how much does someone charge and how could I find one in Pasadena? Thanks!