Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Canon IR1022 - No image, drum covered in toner

Canon-iR-1022-Driver.jpg

Hello all!

I am a hobbyist printer technician, looking for advices from other people who might have more experience with Canon machines

Not so long ago I became an owner of this antique with only 60k clicks on the counters. Printer was run in a corporation thus always on genuine toner and imagining assembly.
    Label says that last developer change was done on 45k, then printer was mostly used as a backup machine run occasionally - still on genuine consumables.

The problem I have been having with it is a very light print. Some people states that when a drum is not used for a long time it might take a few (or hundreds) pages to recover.
    Unfortunately in my situation it did not done the trick, thus made a decision to clean a developer.

After that procedure it works even worse - there is no image put on a paper and the drum is always covered in a hard to clean layer of toner powder.
    Drum is really tough to clean with a cloth, it is almost like a both toner and a drum were magnetized correctly but either laser does not work or something is doing a short circuit.
    Secondary transfer roller is also pretty much covered in a layer of toner.

I have already checked all electrical connections. Protective coating on a drum on the right is worn out, but still does not conduct electricity so it is "alright".
    Laser was removed for cleaning, looks okay.

Can it be a faulty PCR? Light print, then this?

IMG20221023174525-2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Canon IR1022 - No image, drum covered in toner

replace the entire drum, you will notice wear and will not be restored by cleaning.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by GIUBOSS View Post
    replace the entire drum, you will notice wear and will not be restored by cleaning.
    Hey, I am trying to source somewhere locally a compatible drum unit.

But still I wonder. I have seen exact same effect on LaserJet once with a new drum. It is almost like some component is shorting out with other.
    I am very curious how exactly the laser works. So we have a drum that is fully charged (negative) by a PCR and a magnetic roller that charges the toner same way (negative). That makes toner not stick to unexposed areas.

How should the drum look like when laser is not working? Should it be all covered in toner or should it has no toner sticking whatsoever?

Looking at the picture below it looks like laser beam discharge(?) a part of a drum where a toner must to stick. After the picture is developed a DC or AC charge (do not remember which) "resets" charge on the drum in order to remove any remaining charge.
    I have some experience in re-manufacturing toner cassettes but I am not that good in theory. Is it possible for PCR to have damage in the coating so bad that it basically shorts out the drum?

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Mroq View Post
    Canon-iR-1022-Driver.jpg

Hello all!

I am a hobbyist printer technician, looking for advices from other people who might have more experience with Canon machines

Not so long ago I became an owner of this antique with only 60k clicks on the counters. Printer was run in a corporation thus always on genuine toner and imagining assembly.
    Label says that last developer change was done on 45k, then printer was mostly used as a backup machine run occasionally - still on genuine consumables.

The problem I have been having with it is a very light print. Some people states that when a drum is not used for a long time it might take a few (or hundreds) pages to recover.
    Unfortunately in my situation it did not done the trick, thus made a decision to clean a developer.

After that procedure it works even worse - there is no image put on a paper and the drum is always covered in a hard to clean layer of toner powder.
    Drum is really tough to clean with a cloth, it is almost like a both toner and a drum were magnetized correctly but either laser does not work or something is doing a short circuit.
    Secondary transfer roller is also pretty much covered in a layer of toner.

I have already checked all electrical connections. Protective coating on a drum on the right is worn out, but still does not conduct electricity so it is "alright".
    Laser was removed for cleaning, looks okay.

Can it be a faulty PCR? Light print, then this?

IMG20221023174525-2.jpg
    Mostly it is the laser
    Pull out the drum unit
    A lever is pressed by drum to open the laser cover,open it with your hands and clean the glass
    It should work

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Uniquer View Post
    Mostly it is the laser
    Pull out the drum unit
    A lever is pressed by drum to open the laser cover,open it with your hands and clean the glass
    It should work
    No luck - Laser is clean. I even removed temporarily that safety shutter just to be sure that it is not blocking anything.
    Two last things to check: PCR and OPC

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

replace the drum unit

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by bobburnsreb View Post
    replace the drum unit
    It may be toner type is not okay,check transfer roller is in its place.
    You may attach a picture to see more obviously the problem

Technician

Hello all!

Many thanks for all the replies.
    I have managed to borrow a different complete drum unit from a local copier technician. Unfortunately the problem is still relevant, thus a faulty developer assembly.
    Those are next to impossible to obtain nowadays so before any pricey commitment I will try to dismount and mount whole developer unit again using service manual.
    There is a tiny (but yet is) possibility that I did something wrong when reassembling developer last time.

I will update this thread when I will have any new result.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mroq View Post
    Hello all!

Many thanks for all the replies.
    I have managed to borrow a different complete drum unit from a local copier technician. Unfortunately the problem is still relevant, thus a faulty developer assembly.
    Those are next to impossible to obtain nowadays so before any pricey commitment I will try to dismount and mount whole developer unit again using service manual.
    There is a tiny (but yet is) possibility that I did something wrong when reassembling developer last time.

I will update this thread when I will have any new result.
    most likely a metal plate out of position, the magnetic roller must be cleaned well but gently and the lumpy or excess toner must be vacuumed. Hope oem toner.

Technician

Okay so an update to this never ending story:

I have some stupid feeling that it was never a developer fault but a HV or something else!
    By a shear fluke I was able to buy presumably working IR1018i with bad firmware "download standby" error.

Both drum and developer assembly from IR1018i looks fine, put into IR1022. A problem with drum fully covered in toner has disappeared.
    Text is now printed but huge shading occurs on both drum units like on the picture.

Any ideas?

Should I put developer and drum unit back to IR1018i and just put working main PCB from IR1022 into it? Should be working fine but lacking a few features. At least it could show me if that is a HV problem or should I just scrap both machines...

EDIT: How much toner should go to waste toner? Isn't it around 5-10% of toner used for a print? I ran like about 20-30 pages through it and a slit in waste toner container was pretty clogged up!

IMG20221117212610-95.jpg
    Last edited by Mroq; 11-17-2022 at 09:10 PM.