Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Image Press C6010S - Worth buying in 2022/2023?

Hello!

I thought about starting my small printing company and been looking around for a cheap printer with booklet maker as a must. While looking I have set my expectations for a used high end office copier with a finisher or for a cheap digital press

Currently I have no past experience with presses. As a hobby in my free time I try to learn how service "prosumer" grade printers and copiers - thus my last thread with IR1022. I am absolutely aware that no such copier or printer would withstand heavy duty works and for sure are lacking many useful features.
    I will be doing all the maintenance around the machine as the print volume will not be I would say bigger than 10k clicks per month.

By a shear luck I have found a Image Press C6010S for sale close nearby for less than 1000$. Other machines this type in 100-200km radius costs 3000-4500$.
    Machine was last used in 2018 (last calibration date), then sat in the warehouse till March 2022. Was as the seller says checked by Canon technician last month and passed all tests.
    I was not able to find a service manual for version "S", only for core C6010 which has different control panel and OS.

Configuration: Printer + Saddle Finisher AJ2 + Oce server

Service book starts on April 2013. Around 3 100 000 clicks on the counter, half/half A4 and A3:
    All drums changed at 2 572 000 (Jan 2017)
    Black developer changed no counter - last entry (May 2016)
    Magenta developer changed 2 676 000 (Sep 2017)
    Yellow/Cyan developer changed 2 059 000 (July 2016)
    4 Grid 4 Wire 2 059 000 (July 2016)

Service book does not states any other services! No ITB change, no cleaning unit change, no fuser repair, no nothing. Could please someone explain what is the expected life of different components?
    I have been at the sellers place to take a look at the machine and to put a test print or two. Several things have caught my eye:
    - This is a model C6010S and not C6010* and have very different control panel (a modern one); I was not able to get into service menu to check usage counters because * 2 8 * do not longer works on this machine
    - Machine struggled with sensors for a different doors; seller managed to mangle even paper feeder door with a hoist or something...
    - Four prints of four made a paper jam (machine is sitting in cold shed so I suppose that paper was moist)
    - All the rollers and belts looks completely clean and not worn
    - Prints that were supposedly printed by a technician were left on a printer; five of five copies of the same document looked different from each others; printer seems to have problem with shading and colour density - no obvious problems visible like damaged OPC, ITB or corona

Honestly speaking emotionally I went from "this is too cheap, lets check this garbage" to "looks completely fine, let's buy it cuz it is cheap" to once again "two new drums will cost more than entire device".

Could I please hear some of your advices? I will be meeting with the seller once again soon in a few days so I could perform more testing. Code for service menu and a service manual would be highly appreciated as well

Edit. I can send a picture via PM. Would really like to avoid posting these there.
    Last edited by Mroq; 11-30-2022 at 07:18 AM.