Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

irc2880i - insert drum cartridge

Hi
    Is there any known issue with how the cartridges are inserted for 2880i? I found here the ir4570-102/105 pdfs but they don't list 2880 model which has different cartridges. Printer worked fine for 10+ years and now gives this error when trying to reseat/replace the cartridge for magenta only (was printing lots of magenta on the background when printing colour - b/w only printed fine)
    Thank you

Re: irc2880i - insert drum cartridge

I found a video how to replace the ITB, I removed it, cleaned it and printer works fine now for B/W. As soon as I print colour is printing almost full background in magenta on the page and error comes back again "insert drum..."
    I am ok now with B/W printing until I decide if is worth bringing an engineer to repair it (which will cost hundreds and may not be worth it even though I like the printer and worked fine for almost 15 years), I don't want the engineer to start replacing lots of parts unnecesarily and pay a lot of money

*** is there any chance someone here can provide the firmware update and tool? Thank you

P.S any idea what this is ? I found 2 pieces loose inside the printer, one piece was loose around the drum roller, I think it broke the drum this is why is giving the error after first colour print
    IMG_20230307_1253031.jpg
    Last edited by stef; 03-07-2023 at 12:55 PM.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    I found a video how to replace the ITB, I removed it, cleaned it and printer works fine now for B/W. As soon as I print colour is printing almost full background in magenta on the page and error comes back again "insert drum..."
    I am ok now with B/W printing until I decide if is worth bringing an engineer to repair it (which will cost hundreds and may not be worth it even though I like the printer and worked fine for almost 15 years), I don't want the engineer to start replacing lots of parts unnecesarily and pay a lot of money

*** is there any chance someone here can provide the firmware update and tool? Thank you

P.S any idea what this is ? I found 2 pieces loose inside the printer, one piece was loose around the drum roller, I think it broke the drum this is why is giving the error after first colour print
    IMG_20230307_1253031.jpg
    I bet you will need a qualified tech to fix the problem on this particular model.However,this problem generally occurs from the HVT pcb which may need replacement depending on the age of the machine.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

IMG_20230307_1253031.jpg
    This is part of the transfer belt. You need to replace this unit soo as the belt will tear.

A firmware update should resolve your 'insert drum' message.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

thank you
    I will order the firmware, hope the drum issue will be resolved and I hope the belt will last a bit more until I find it cheaper on ebay

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

thank you
    I will order the firmware, hope the drum issue will be resolved and I hope the belt will last a bit more until I find it cheaper on ebay
    You might be lucky & the belt will last. I have sent you the firmware.

The parts you need are.

Transfer Belt Ass'y - FM2-5522-030

Cleaning Unit - FM2-5523-000

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

It's the belt, have had that when installing new drums, or just 1 drum. leave new drum in, replace chip, from old to new and reset counter in service mode, that will take care of your problem. Have had to work around many issues for years for those machine(don't have firmware or able to get it. But, always kept em running! Think have updated all of them.
    \
    Good Luck!