Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

FM1-T423-000 adf sep roller issue

I've had this issue on a couple DXC58xx series adf's now. Customers call in for noise and misfeeds in adf. I arrive and find that the adf sep roller has a major flat spot worn into it. It would appear that the torque limiter in this roller is not allowing the roller to turn at all and the originals are being drug across the roller creating the flatspot. Has anyone seen this and come up with a fix? I have a legal office that is scanning like crazy on one of these and the roller lasts about 2 weeks. The feed roller shows little wear though.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Technician

Re: FM1-T423-000 adf sep roller issue

How many sheets have you displayed for the machine's counter with 501 data statistics and scan usage. Scanning usually involves intelligence analysis, and in this case, it should be caused by excessive use or damage caused by foreign objects. Usually, my repair station uses a combination of scanning images for testing and judgment, or swapping parts for testing.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I am not too familiar with this model yet but no force is applied except from the other rollers? I've once had a C3525 with improper tension cause jamming/weird noise.

Check if you can alter the tension of the top cover and check the back cover of the adf -if damaged/not in properly in place the gear would also not be turning. Also springs.

The gummy plastic rollers get flat spots due to frequent jamming and could just be a symptom -I believe there was similar type in the C3700s paper feed ass'y that was replaced in the C3800s to a pebble hard plastic roller.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Radiscar View Post
    I am not too familiar with this model yet but no force is applied except from the other rollers? I've once had a C3525 with improper tension cause jamming/weird noise.

Check if you can alter the tension of the top cover and check the back cover of the adf -if damaged/not in properly in place the gear would also not be turning. Also springs.

The gummy plastic rollers get flat spots due to frequent jamming and could just be a symptom -I believe there was similar type in the C3700s paper feed ass'y that was replaced in the C3800s to a pebble hard plastic roller.
    Looking forward to solving your problem.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    FM1-T423-000 adf sep roller issue

Based on my experience with roller separation systems, I would suggest that there is too much pressure set, pressing the separation roller to the feed roller.

I am not familiar with the specific document feeder that you are working on, so I do not know if there is a mechanical adjustment of spring pressure ... many document feeders do have this adjustment. If the spring pressure is too great, the separation roller quickly develops flat spots, and the noise we associate with that. If there is not a mechanical adjustment, you could try a different spring to apply less pressure.

When roller separation systems are working correctly you can test them just turning the drive with your fingers. With one original, feed and separation rollers should turn opposite directions to allow the paper to freely enter. When two originals are fed in, the separation roller should stop or rotate in the same direction as the feed roller to pull back the extra page. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

This is what I see as the roller in question, i.e the separation roller. This roller would have a torque spring inside one of the side and is basically fixed unless there are holes position to adjust the torque, which I doubt. So take one roller that is worn, but without flat spot and open the side with the torque spring. You will see it is packed with grease. remove the spring and clean the grease and put a small amount of a lighter type grease , reasemble and see how that works.

Thinking about this again, I think , the problem might be with the spring that this roller sits on. There is most likely two springs that sits on either side of the shaft that is not of the right tension and causing the roller to not rotate correctly. This is my therory anyway, as the separation roller must have some kind of spring tension to push up against the feed roller.

This can't be a roller problem I suspect, as the manufacturer would have complaints like crazy and some kind of bulletin would have been out and a fix for this provided. Others, here should have the same issue too.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke