Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 100+ Posts
    Can you give us the "pop up message"?

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zillah View Post
    The print spooler service is not running
    It sounds as if the problem is with your print server, not the copier. If that isn't running you can't print.

To totally uninstall print drivers, this utility will do it. Or open your printers, right click in the white area -> server properties (or file -> server properties). Click on the drivers tab and remove the appropriate driver.

The copier might be going to sleep and so the print server thinks its offline. Under Additional Functions -> Common -> Page down -> Energy consumption in sleep mode. Set it from low to high. When set to low, it will accept print/fax jobs but store them until it's turned on. On high it should turn on and print them out.

On the Canon USA site I would recommend using the Canon setup program since it is going on a server to be shared. The others just give you the .inf file.

This is the Canon Setup program:

Canon U.S.A : Disclaimer

Lead Service Technician 1,000+ Posts mrfixit51's Avatar
    Good call on the energy in sleep mode,, now I know why I have always been setting them to high during machine setups!!

Technician
    Can you give us the "pop up message"?
    I have just check one of the workstation to test the printer again and I received this error

Imageshack - errormessageq

Services > Printer Spooler is running automatically
    Please be aware that a domain user can not run this :

1. Click on Start button
    2. Choose Run
    3. type in “Services.msc” without the quote marks
    4. Enter
    5. Scroll to Print Spooler – should show if spooler is running
    6. Select
    7. On left side, click start or restart

Technician
    From your original post you say that you get an error about the spooler on the server.
    Not on the server on a workstation when the printer does not work and if I right click on the printer icon > Properties > then I had the error about spooler that I posted earlier.

As for the driver go to this link to and down load the second item. After you open the .exe file you will find an uninstall utility. This should remove all the Canon related driver info. Then you can do the install via the setup and choose your driver.
    Thanks for this hint.

Technician
    It sounds as if the problem is with your print server, not the copier. If that isn't running you can't print.
    Hi D_L_P
    Yes the copier is working I can photocopy.

Only issue with printer

Or open your printers, right click in the white area -> server properties (or file -> server properties). Click on the drivers tab and remove the appropriate driver.
    I was not aware of that every day we learn something new.

To totally uninstall print drivers, this utility will do it.
    Is this for any other printer's driver ? or specially for canon ?

The copier might be going to sleep and so the print server thinks its offline. Under Additional Functions -> Common -> Page down -> Energy consumption in sleep mode. Set it from low to high. When set to low, it will accept print/fax jobs but store them until it's turned on. On high it should turn on and print them out.
    Do u want to say if the copier is going into a sleep mode we will experience a problem with a printing ????
    Last edited by zillah; 12-23-2009 at 09:30 PM.

Service Manager 100+ Posts
    Just give it a try! Clear the MMI.. I had this problem with my irc3200 but the pop up message is different. I can ping the machine and make copy but when I print from computers (all computer) I got a pop up message.

I told my client that the machine is OK maybe your network has problem. So the following day I brought my laptop and connect directly my irc3200 machine (peer to peer) and I was shocked coz the problem was still there.

What I did !!!! I cleared the MMI then reinstall IP address, and that's it. My machine prints smoothly.

So if you have a laptop with you try it if you can print.

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar
    This utility is from Kyocera/Mita but will work for any print driver. It is the best uninstall utility I have found. It removes registry entries, help files, and orphan files. The Canon print driver utility would probably work in this case just fine. I usually tell IT dept's about the K/M utility so the can use it to clean up their print server.

I'm not sure if sleep mode is your problem, but 2 out of 3 suggestions with the pop up had to do with the copier being offline. We just do that as a best practice for printing, sounds like MRFixit does too. This goes back a while (win2k sp1)but the GP200 used to go offline when it needed toner or had a replace drum message, Microsoft had a patch to fix that.

It sounds as though they can print fine for a while. Then something triggers a problem. And resetting everything gets them back up again??

If there are any .sho files in the spool folder, it can crash your spooler service. Go to C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\PRINTERS, enable view hidden files (tools ->folder options->view) and delete any .sho files there. It's a good thing if it empty, bad if there are files there.

Are you using Novell by any chance?

Technician
    So if you have a laptop with you try it if you can print.
    I will try that.

Since the printer works fine and all of the sudden it stops.

I am afraid if I connect my laptop directly and it worked then I have to keep my laptop connected to it for a while to perform a troubleshoot. As you know this a client's printer and all his employees are using it, and I cannot keep the laptop connected to it.

I know that is important for a troubleshooting, I will try to manage that may be after work.

What I did !!!! I cleared the MMI.
    Could u please advise how to do that ?

Thanks

Technician
    This utility is from Kyocera/Mita but will work for any print driver. It is the best uninstall utility I have found. It removes registry entries, help files, and orphan files. The Canon print driver utility would probably work in this case just fine. I usually tell IT dept's about the K/M utility so the can use it to clean up their print server.
    I see.

I'm not sure if sleep mode is your problem, but 2 out of 3 suggestions with the pop up had to do with the copier being offline. We just do that as a best practice for printing, sounds like MRFixit does too. This goes back a while (win2k sp1)but the GP200 used to go offline when it needed toner or had a replace drum message, Microsoft had a patch to fix that.
    Do u know what I wouldn't have thought of a printer's sleep mode ?,,,,say the printer was in sleep mode,,,,, when a user domain log off and log in again (or restart a PC) he/she can print !!!!

I believe logging off and logging on again shouldn't affect the printer to change its status from one mode to another,,,,should it ?

I'm not sure if sleep mode is your problem,
    I remember one more thing but I am not sure if that is related to this problem or not, most of the time I see the display screen of the printer is dim ( similar when you switch off the printer ) but it is not switched off , because when I press any button you can see light on the screen.

If there are any .sho files in the spool folder, it can crash your spooler service. Go to C:WINDOWSSystem32spoolPRINTERS, enable view hidden files (tools ->folder options->view) and delete any .sho files there. It's a good thing if it empty, bad if there are files there.
    I will try that as well

Edit : I have checked and I could not find any .sho files

Are you using Novell by any chance?
    No.

Thanks
    Last edited by zillah; 12-23-2009 at 10:59 PM.