Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    velocd

iR3300 - just wont print via computer's parallel.

Good day,

Our company replaced one of our older copy machines, the iR3300, for another brand from a different service company. We've moved the iR3300 to another office that could use it, and have connected it directly to a computer via parallel.

This computer is running Windows XP. I installed the printer via LPT1 with the latest PS3 drivers from usa.canon.com.

When I print a test page from the PC the iR3300 reacts with its usual processing noise, but then does nothing. The curious thing is for about 3 seconds after submitting a test print the print job will show up on the print jobs interface on the iR3300 LCD, and then it disappears as if it were processed--but nothing prints. There are no error messages. The printer is good on toner and has paper. The copier works, so I know the printer can print. The only interface on our iR3300 is parallel port, there is no network card installed nor do we have one, so I can't connect the computer to the printer via network.

We have no contract anymore with the service company that provided our iR3300 (Ikon), they actually left town. Our new printer isn't a Canon and the service company doesn't do Canon. Needless to say, I'm left to my own devices to get this thing working via LPT1. I'm a IT worker/programmer, but I'm unfamiliar with advance copy machine servicing. I can learn quickly about but I'm having trouble finding instructions on how to service the iR3300. From what I've researched I may need to update my firmware to print via LPT1, but I don't know where to find the firmware or how to update it.

Here's some details about our iR3300:

Model: iR3300
    Main Board Version: 7
    Controller Version: 3301.1029.1001
    Scanner Version: 701.601
    Fin Version: 105
    Serial: MPH35550

Troubleshooting:

- Tried tweaking every interface I could find on the iR3300 LCD, to no avail. I'm aware there is a "Service Mode" for these copy machines, but I don't know how to access it or even what to do once I'm inside.
    - Checked hardware.
    - Rebooted.
    - Tried a different parallel cable.
    - Tried different drivers and older drivers. Does it matter if I use PS3 or PCL by the way? I realize they're page description languages (PostScript3 and Printer Command Language), but I'm not sure what is or isn't compatible between the PC and the copy machine.
    - Tried 2 different computers, Windows XP and the other Windows 7.
    - Tried adjusting software printer settings from the computer's end.

If anyone can help or walk me through the steps to print via parallel I would greatly appreciate it. ;-)

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar
    I believe ( I maybe wrong and will be corrected by a canon tech) that the parallel port was a service port for firmware updates not for printing. It uses usb (if on the machine) or network.
    Was it printing at the original location?
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

betinoman
    hi velocd
    first of all, sorry by mi english, i am from monterrey mexico.

long time ago, i had the same problem, the costumer was very ungry, we have to install a network card,because the pararell dont work, in service mode none item for these problem, so you have to search in copier option (*) some item that said something abot pararell, in this case, i activate thes option and the copier start to print in this port, let me check in one ir, and i post back, whith the exactly route, to resolve you problem, ill posting tomorrow at this time.

sgcopiertech
    iR3300 machines can print via parallel port (LPT)

the most probable cause is that just your machine is not equipped to print.
    please make sure that the machine has a N or H boot rom.

press * 2 8 *
    press copier
    press version

check your boot rom vesion

if you see a C behind the version i.e. ( xx.xxC )
    then your machine would not be able to print at all.

East Coast Imaging 2,500+ Posts

Your gonna need a printer kit.

Network Multi-PDL Printer Kit-C1
    Canon Copier Repair Service. Sales, Parts & Toner. NYC/NJ area. Contact:East Coast Imaging Solutions,LLC

Lead Service Technician 1,000+ Posts mrfixit51's Avatar
    Sound advice being offered here,, my question is this, in it's previous usage before it was moved, was it being printed to??

The Multi-PDL Printer Kit-C1 included boot rom "n" as well as a network card. I always took it for granted that if there was no rj45 port on the copier that it was a standalone copier, and did not have print capabilities.

East Coast Imaging 2,500+ Posts

I believe there is also a 128MB memory stick that comes along with the printer kit.
    Canon Copier Repair Service. Sales, Parts & Toner. NYC/NJ area. Contact:East Coast Imaging Solutions,LLC

velocd
    Sound advice being offered here,, my question is this, in it's previous usage before it was moved, was it being printed to??
    I don't believe it was ever printed to, we used it as a copier only. I just assumed because it had a parallel port it could be connected to a PC and printed to, I didn't realize the port was only for updating firmware. :P

I entered service mode and the rom is C, so my only option is the printer kit? Where is a good place to buy that affordably?

It's this I assume:
    Canon Network Multi PDL Printer Kit C1 for IR2200-3300 - eBay (item 290447921674 end time Jul-23-10 05:13:12 PDT)

The parallel port is not only for upgrading, it can be used for printing also, but only after the print kit is installed. It needs to be enabled under the printer settings.

The link to the eBay item appears to be what you need as well as a decent price.

Quote Originally Posted by SCREWTAPE View Post
    I believe there is also a 128MB memory stick that comes along with the printer kit.
    It has been quite a while since i set up a 3300 as new,,

I just checked the service manual for the print kit, it only shows the boot rom and the nic in the kit...

The original configuration sheets used by sales may have some answers, I do not have access to those.