Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

How does I-FAX work?

Hi fellows,

I have configured my customer's iR-c4080 with the proper Email/I-Fax settings.
    Email works fine. But, how does I-fax work?

Is there a resolution standard for I-faxing?
    What resolution settings have to be used in order to send or receive I-faxes?
    Do I give our copier email address to the other party so they can send I-faxes?
    what happens when the iR-c4080 checks for incoming mail?

Your input will certainly be appreciated.
    Bill

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    How does I-FAX work?

usually the machine you are sending the I-fax to has to have SMTP configured so the two devices can talk back and forth:

You can scan a document and send it to a destination via the Internet as an I-fax. An Ifax can only be sent to machines that can receive faxes via the Internet. You can add the document's name, a subject line, message body text, and reply-to address.

--------------------------------
    Note: If you are using Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5, 2000, or 2003, a sending error may occur when you send an I-fax in the following cases:
    - When a user is logged in to the machine using SDL or the Local Device Authentication system of SSO.
    - When SMTP authentication (SMTP AUTH) for Authent./Encryption in Email/Ifax in Network Settings in System Settings (From the Additional Functions screen) is set to ON.

In these cases, you should add the user logged in to the machine using SDL or the Local Device Authentication system of SSO to [Send on behalf of] in Delivery Options in Exchange General in Exchange.

1) Place your originals in the ADF or glass.

2) Hit the Send button

3) Hit I-Fax.

4) Hit I-Fax Address. The I-fax address is the email address of the destination I-fax Unit.

5) Press the Mode drop-down list to select [Simple] or [Full].

Note: In order to send documents in the Full mode, the recipient's machine must be compatible with the Full mode to receive the documents. If you send documents in the Full mode, you can confirm that the recipient's machine received the I-Fax documents.

[Simple]: Sends scanned data as an image using the Internet.
    [Full]: In addition to the sending functions of Simple mode, confirms whether data was sent.

6) Hit Destination Condition.

The following conditions should always be selected:

Paper Size: A4
    Compression Method: MH
    Resolution: 200 * 200 dpi, 200 * 200 dpi
    LTR, LGL, and STMT are recognized as [A4}. To select 11" * 17", select [A3]
    Everything else is left to default settings.

7) Select whether to send documents via a server by pressing [On] or [Off].

Send via Server:
    [On]: Send documents via a mail server. You can send documents to destination via the internet in the same way as email.
    [Off]: Sends documents other than via a server. You can send large amounts of data to a recipient in the same LAN environment without placing a burden on the mail server. This enables you to send documents directly. It is necessary to set an MX (Mail exchange) record of the DNS server beforehand to use this function. Ask your IT administrator whether this type of sending is available or possible before you use this function. For more information, see Related Article 56770.

8) Hit OK.

The address appears in the address list on the Send Screen.

9) Hit the Start key to send the document.
    Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

Technician

Re: How does I-FAX work?

It looks like this fax service is totally new to me. I even didn't try this one yet. But according to my experience I found cocofax for free fax and number one solution. I think this could be helpful for you guy. All the best!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    How does I-FAX work?

Quote Originally Posted by Harold D. Keels View Post
    It looks like this fax service is totally new to me. I even didn't try this one yet. But according to my experience I found cocofax for free fax and number one solution. I think this could be helpful for you guy. All the best!
    congratulations you have dug up a 5 yr dead thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold D. Keels View Post
    Thanks for letting us know about Cocofax. But before trying anything I would like to learn how to send fax to others effectively. As an enthusiasts, I search on google and found GoogleFaxFree a while ago. This fax guide website helps how to send free faxes though you can read the article here. What do you think? I will wait for your reply.