Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Guy 50+ Posts
    Well, my P2P customer's scan issue seems to be resolved after the router was replaced, but my customer that has his IRC3200 scanning to a server is still restarting the machine 3-4 times per day after it fails to scan with a #751.

He programmed in all of the scan locations with the IP address of the server like so:

\\192.168.1.100\Share\Scans

Before it was

\\Server\Share\Scans

No sir... i don't like it.

Any other ideas?

Vacuum Cleaning Expert 1,000+ Posts iMind's Avatar
    I dont know the machine, but it sounds like a problem I had scanning to folder some times would pop up a message, sending until it came to a error, it was the user groups permission to the sharefolder that had to be set to change and read. this was on a ricoh but it was a server issue
    Windows 2003

Guy 50+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iMind View Post
    I dont know the machine, but it sounds like a problem I had scanning to folder some times would pop up a message, sending until it came to a error, it was the user groups permission to the sharefolder that had to be set to change and read. this was on a ricoh but it was a server issue
    Windows 2003
    the user has full privs to the share. Server 2003 has that policy setting where it blocks unsigned SMB Packets but all that has been taken care of.

It just seems to be losing "Sight" of the network, but I can Ping it no problem. THe only function that is lost when this happens is the scan function, as it can still be pinged, printed to, copied from, faxed to, logged into via RUI...

ugh..

I've instructed the customer to call me AS SOON as it happens and BEFORE it is restarted so I can try to troubleshoot it in this "No scan" state. I plan to:

1. Setup an email address and see if it can email
    2. Try browsing the network from the machine (pretty sure it cannot)
    3. RUI, Ping, Print
    4. anything else I can try while it's in this state that might help our situation?

bkivett

scan error

i believe imind is on right track. i would expect that you could still ping which would tell me network still sees it. i would think permissions on server or timing out issue. anyway server is trying to update ip?
    we all wish you luck

Technician
    If you are using Windows 2003 have you disabled both digital signings in group policy or just one? Canon were advising on one only through their help desks. I have a word doc that I can email you if you wish on changing both.

Guy 50+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SmudgerUK View Post
    If you are using Windows 2003 have you disabled both digital signings in group policy or just one? Canon were advising on one only through their help desks. I have a word doc that I can email you if you wish on changing both.

I have just learned that they have scan locations on two servers, one is a 2003 Server and one is a 2000 Server. I beleive we only edited one policy on the 2003 server.. Here is the document I was following for that:

Universal Send to push a file to a SMB share

Technician
    That is pretty much the same as my doc but I have screen shots in mine. The 2000 server should not require this to be set.
    Is this happening just after or as the copier goes into sleep mode? I have had some issues with older hubs/switches going offline or halting functions after the copier has entered sleep mode. Try setting it to 4 hours to see if it happens less.
    I have just flicked through some of the system software bulletins and can't find anything for dropping off the network in the recent ones, maybe worth ensuring you have the latest.
    You have me beat, this is a strange one indeed.

Guy 50+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SmudgerUK View Post
    That is pretty much the same as my doc but I have screen shots in mine. The 2000 server should not require this to be set.
    Is this happening just after or as the copier goes into sleep mode? I have had some issues with older hubs/switches going offline or halting functions after the copier has entered sleep mode. Try setting it to 4 hours to see if it happens less.
    I have just flicked through some of the system software bulletins and can't find anything for dropping off the network in the recent ones, maybe worth ensuring you have the latest.
    You have me beat, this is a strange one indeed.

Thanks again for the reply. Do you think you could forward me that doc anyhow? Alot of times I send my link over to customers and they're a little clueless...actually, pretty much every time A Guide may help...

I was thinking the same on the Sleep Timer. They say it's happening 1-3 times per day. And not sure if I mentioned this before, but it's happening on BOTH of their machines. They do a good deal of scanning/printing/faxing from these machines, so i'm really not sure it's timeing out.. but maybe it's set to something low like 30 minutes. I'll definitely check it out.

If/When I go out I will definitely get them up to the latest firmware.. as i doubt that they are.

Thanks again for the reply. and if you can email me that doc my email is:

phorts@hotmail.com

thanks!

Technician
    It's in cyber space now.
    Cheers
    Dave

Guy 50+ Posts

Back Again..Same Problem

Ok, so I'm back and I come bearing bad news. Not only is the problem still not resolved at my previous 2 customers, but I have another customer who has been going strong now for 6 months and all of a sudden he's having the SAME problem described in this thread, same machine, same error, EVERYTHING.

In order to work around the issue with one of our clients (The p2p network), I had them switch to scan to email. They are now scanning happily and without interruption, but the scan to file (via SMB) is still not working!

In the corporate environment, they are STILL rebooting BOTH of their machines multiple times per day in order to restore scanning. This is beyond the point of annoyance and may ultimately lose the contract for us. The IT guy over there is a good friend of mine and we've done EXTENSIVE network testing and ALL other network resources are functioning flawlessly. It's very very disappointing and frustrating that this issue will NOT go away and no resolution can be found.

THis new customer is similar to the first, a small p2p network. Scanning for 6 months no problem, now all of a sudden, it will just fail. I DO have some new information however:

I changed the timeout settings from 90 mins to 10 mins and restarted the machine. I tested a scan upon restart and it went through as expected. I waited 15 mins and tried again, FAIL. Test print, RUI, ping...all OK.

I then changed the timeout to 4 hours and restarted the machine. Tested scan on restart - OK. I then forced it into sleep by pressing the On/Off button, waited a minute, and pressed the On/Off button again and tested - FAIL!

Currently I have the machine maxed out on the timer settings for Sleep and Low Power Mode to 4 hours, hoping that it will only need a restart in the morning to resume scanning capabilities.

This will be just a temporary solution. I need a permanent one.

Has ANYONE found ANYTHING on this? This is my 4th customer in the matter of a few months with this issue and I can't imagine they'll be the last. I'm desparate now!

Thanks for ANY insight you may have..