Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Server is underutilized. Poweredge T320, 8gb ram. only works as application system

Hi,

I am seeking advices here because i am thinking that the server in our office efficiency is under utilized. it only works as a TBS accounting\ stock system on 1tb of hdd (raid 1) on perc. There are 6 more empty hdd slots available. So I am wondering if i can buy some hot plug hard disk to plug it in there and set as a storage hdd so that i can use it as a backup storage as well. Because i need to backup the data for those computers in the office. The reason i wanna do this is to help the company to save costs. There are at least 5 computers in the company.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Server is underutilized. Poweredge T320, 8gb ram. only works as application system

Re: Server is underutilized. Poweredge T320, 8gb ram. only works as application syste

Quote Originally Posted by aviso66 View Post
    Hi, I am seeking advices here because i am thinking that the server in our office efficiency is under utilized. it only works as a TBS accounting\ stock system on 1tb of hdd (raid 1) on perc. There are 6 more empty hdd slots available. So I am wondering if i can buy some hot plug hard disk to plug it in there and set as a storage hdd so that i can use it as a backup storage as well. Because i need to backup the data for those computers in the office. The reason i wanna do this is to help the company to save costs. There are at least 5 computers in the company.
    ok you need to research the different RAID classes.

YES it is possible.. RAID

RAID is short for redundant array of independent disks. ... This is in contrast with older storage devices that used only a single disk drive to store data. RAID allows you to store the same data redundantly (in multiple paces) in a balanced way to improve overall performance.
    What is RAID storage? Webopedia Definition

https://www.webopedia.com › TERM › RAID

there are many RAID levels.. you need to decide WHICH is better suited for your application.

you have to decide

Re: Server is underutilized. Poweredge T320, 8gb ram. only works as application syste

Most company's have gone to cloud base backups. Depends on what your using the local Pc's for? All critical data should be cloud based or on a server and the server backed up. Have seem some companies using NAS drives but I would also backup to cloud.
    You should hire a IT consultant to review your systems and make the recommend changes.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I like the PERC cards, they live long - drop in enough drives and run it as raid5 and order a spare drive for just in case hot swap.