Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    Should a German phone work when connected to a US phone jack?

Re: Should a German phone work when connected to a US phone jack?

Is the country code set for Germany or the United States?
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Starglider View Post
    It’s the Samsung SF2500. The user manual is German and has no info about ring voltages or reasons for not detecting incoming calls. This is the service manual: SF2500_SM_SAMSUNG_EN.pdf - Google Drive

Here’s the link where they suggest voltage differences may cause a German phone not to ring in the USA: Can a European telephone work in the U.S.?

Not such a problem for a basic phone as one could use a separate ringer to know someone is calling, but the fax is rendered unusable because it doesn’t know when to answer calls automatically. It simply doesn’t know anyone is calling.

Any ideas how to overcome it?
    Is it that the phone doesn't ring or that the either the fax or builtin answering machine doesn't function.

Check the MODE setting. In Automatic TAD / FAX switching, the phone WILL NOT ring.

If you are wanting to use it primarily as a phone it needs to be in TEL only mode. Also check that IN PBX which set the ring pacing. Wrong setting and it will not recognize the incoming ring regardless of mode.

There also should be some tyoe of selection for ring volume.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Is it that the phone doesn't ring or that the either the fax or builtin answering machine doesn't function.

Check the MODE setting. In Automatic TAD / FAX switching, the phone WILL NOT ring.

If you are wanting to use it primarily as a phone it needs to be in TEL only mode. Also check that IN PBX which set the ring pacing. Wrong setting and it will not recognize the incoming ring regardless of mode.

There also should be some tyoe of selection for ring volume.
    If I set it to TEL only mode it doesn’t ring. Incoming call doesn’t appear on the screen. Ring volume is on full.

If I set it to FAX mode it doesn’t pick up when a fax caller is ringing.

It simply doesn’t know anyone is calling. And I think I know why. A more experienced person than me on eBay told me this, after reading the service manual:

At page 17 the service manual declares proper ring detect operation
    to be V= 45 to 75 V and f= 23-54 Hz, so if the device is operating
    correctly it will not respond to US ringing signal of 20 Hz. I find
    no option to change this (which correctly corresponds to European
    ringing frequency (except maybe France) of 25 Hz.

My question now is how can I adjust the phone line signal from 20Hz to 25Hz?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Thumbs up Re: Should a German phone work when connected to a US phone jack?

If I set it to TEL only mode it doesn’t ring. Incoming call doesn’t appear on the screen. Ring volume is on full.

If I set it to FAX mode it doesn’t pick up when a fax caller is ringing.

It simply doesn’t know anyone is calling. And I think I know why. A more experienced person than me on eBay told me this, after reading the service manual:

My question now is how can I adjust the phone line signal from 20Hz to 25Hz?
    Although the common frequency used in the United States is 20 HZ and in Europe is typically 25 Hz, it can be any frequency between 15 and 68 Hz.

It is more likely to be the ring pacing and not the frequency. Have you checked the IN PBX setting? PABX and PST ringing patterns are not the same. Many fax machines and other devices that have electronic tone ringers instead of actual bells will not respond if either the length of the ring, 1 or 2 seconds and the length of the pause between rings is not correct. PST ringing is 2 seconds on 4 seconds off. PABX might be 1 second on and 5 seconds off and will not always be detected by the timing circuit if the setting is not correct.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

It’s the Samsung SF2500. The user manual is German
    Samsung USA does not recognize that model number. Can you post it as a pdf file, not a scanned file or a link to where we can down load it and have it translated to English. Google translate can handle complete files as long as they are textual pdfs and not scanned pdfs.

Technician

Although the common frequency used in the United States is 20 HZ and in Europe is typically 25 Hz, it can be any frequency between 15 and 68 Hz.

It is more likely to be the ring pacing and not the frequency. Have you checked the IN PBX setting? PABX and PST ringing patterns are not the same. Many fax machines and other devices that have electronic tone ringers instead of actual bells will not respond if either the length of the ring, 1 or 2 seconds and the length of the pause between rings is not correct. PST ringing is 2 seconds on 4 seconds off. PABX might be 1 second on and 5 seconds off and will not always be detected by the timing circuit if the setting is not correct.
    Whilst I felt what I was told about the frequencies made most sense, I did just change the one and only setting it offers relating to PABX from No (Nien) to Yes (Ja). Here's Google Translate (I only have the German physical manual, no PDF):

Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 14.21.48.jpg

I changed that one setting (using Google Translate Camera to understand the German language shown on the LCD screen) and IT WORKED! The fax now picks up. (Note, the phone still doesn't ring which may still be the frequency issue, but it works for what I need.)

To summarize what I had to do to get this German Samsung fax phone working in the USA:

1. Wire the two middle RJ11 wires to the two outside wires
    2. Change the PABX setting to extension (although it's not an extension)

Thank you!!
    Last edited by Starglider; 02-25-2023 at 02:01 AM.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Whilst I felt what I was told about the frequencies made most sense, I did just change the one and only setting it offers relating to PABX from No (Nien) to Yes (Ja). Here's Google Translate (I only have the German physical manual, no PDF):

Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 14.21.48.jpg

I changed that one setting (using Google Translate Camera to understand the German language shown on the LCD screen) and IT WORKED! The fax now picks up. (Note, the phone still doesn't ring which may still be the frequency issue, but it works for what I need.)

To summarize what I had to do to get this German Samsung fax phone working in the USA:

1. Wire the two middle RJ11 wires to the two outside wires
    2. Change the PABX setting to extension (although it's not an extension)

Thank you!!
    If you want to hear when a call come in, there are always external bells and tone ring devices. I even helped with a system setup in an audiologist office where they did as little extraneous noise as possible, i.e. no phones ringing. We used a relay system to flash a light at the receptionist desk and the nurses station.

Technician

If you want to hear when a call come in, there are always external bells and tone ring devices. I even helped with a system setup in an audiologist office where they did as little extraneous noise as possible, i.e. no phones ringing. We used a relay system to flash a light at the receptionist desk and the nurses station.
    Good to know. Actually silent fax reception is perfect for us.