Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Kyocera and WSD printing

No Period. Do I disable No. Install the KX driver and configure.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Kyocera and WSD printing

On the Toshibas we used to turn it off but then found out that it breaks mobile printing from 'Droid ... mostly though the windows deleting printers and installing WSD and using a junk driver can be fixed by unchecking 'let windows manage my default printer' ... have not had any more issues with WSD.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Kyocera and WSD printing

I turn off WSD on everything I touch.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Kyocera and WSD printing

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent128 View Post
    On the Toshibas we used to turn it off but then found out that it breaks mobile printing from 'Droid ... mostly though the windows deleting printers and installing WSD and using a junk driver can be fixed by unchecking 'let windows manage my default printer' ... have not had any more issues with WSD.
    Indeed the scanning app Toshiba Ebridge Print and Capture won't work if WSD for Print and Scan is disabled. If the customer is using only iPhones and don't need to scan from MFP to the phone they can use AirPrint and turn off WSD.
    Defects are simple, our mind is complicated

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by savedR View Post
    Hey all,

Sorry to necro this thread, but I just had to turn off WSD on a FS-C2526, and it took me a while to find it. So I figured I'd post where it was here, so the next tech doesn't have to search!

I got into Command Center (web UI), then logged in as Admin. Then I clicked Basic tab (blue), under Security, mouse over Device Security and choose Network Security, then scroll to the end of the page and there are 4 switches for WSD, for print, scan, enhanced WSD, and enhanced WSD over SSL, all of which I turned off. Then I restarted the printer, and the Win10 PC I was on didn't find it, so it should be good.

As an aside, one of the Windows Updates that came through this year also seems to automatically add another printer copy if IPP settings are left on now, just like WSD. I've mainly seen it happen with Canons, but I bet it does for other brands too.
    I started to disable IPP also on my Ricoh units for the same reasons you stated. The only problem so far is that it also breaks Airprint.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Kyocera and WSD printing

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    I turn off WSD on everything I touch.
    Same. Every manufactures this process is different but there is always a way.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Technician

WSD has been causing water mark dialog recently. I disable it on Kyocera copiers and printers. Windows updates have in past completely deleted driver, turns on wsd port and installs Microsoft ipp driver in its place on Windows 10 and 11.

Senior MFP Technician 250+ Posts ihatefinishers13's Avatar

WSD should be abolished on commercial grade printers, as it causes nothing but problems. Sharp seems to now disable it by default, but with Kyocera, I had an issue once where an HP driver package decided to make it's own Kyocera WSD driver, and the machine had no idea what to do, and would just sit at an error state.

With WSD, we have been turning it off for years, and have mitigated a bulk of issues we used to have all the time it seemed. As you'll see from this whole thread, copier tech's HATE that protocol.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Kyocera and WSD printing

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefinishers13 View Post
    WSD should be abolished on commercial grade printers, as it causes nothing but problems. Sharp seems to now disable it by default, but with Kyocera, I had an issue once where an HP driver package decided to make it's own Kyocera WSD driver, and the machine had no idea what to do, and would just sit at an error state.

With WSD, we have been turning it off for years, and have mitigated a bulk of issues we used to have all the time it seemed. As you'll see from this whole thread, copier tech's HATE that protocol.
    Web Services on Device (WSD) is a Microsoft API and therein lies the problem. It belongs to the almighty Microsoft.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

The only use I've found for WSD is scanning. It makes detection much easier than TWAIN and a simple WIA driver gives scanning options that aren't available directly from the device.

Case in point: it will allow Ricoh devices to scan to PNG, a lossless format, as opposed to just JPG or PDF. For a few customers this has proved invaluable as they can better edit the output files.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk