Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Methedor's Avatar

Rioch as a Fax Modem?

Hello there, I have a client wanting to "Send a fax via PC through the MFP fax" I haven't found anything on CTN so far on this. Looking into the idea of Windows 10 Fax with the MFP as a Fax modem, but it doesn't acknowledge the one we have here over as valid. I have read (<-link) that it is theoretically possible with an MFP, but no details. Is this not possible in your experience or am I missing some third party software to allow a Network Connected MFP/Fax to Fax via PC? I am aware of sites like E-Fax, but that is not what the client wants or is under the impression should be used as she is looking for a 'free and convenient' resource from the PC.

Basic Information:
    MP C407 connected to network via Ethernet
    Unit is connected for fax via Faxline
    PC(s) OS Windows 10 & Windows 7

Thank you for Reading and Responding.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Rioch as a Fax Modem?

look up lan fax

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

LAN Fax is just a print driver that passes the job to the fax module. Download from you regional Ricoh end user site and set up as a printer. This 'feature' has been standard for a very long time for units with a fax module.

Thanks you guys, looks like I wasn't using the correct line of search for this. The LAN-FAX driver has been acquired. Strange that this is the first time that I've been asked about this feature feature.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Rioch as a Fax Modem?

Quote Originally Posted by Methedor View Post
    Thanks you guys, looks like I wasn't using the correct line of search for this. The LAN-FAX driver has been acquired. Strange that this is the first time that I've been asked about this feature feature.
    We installed it a lot back in the day but no one ever used it so it fell by the wayside.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

A lot of customers are unaware that the function is even available.

If they currently are printing documents, then dropping them back in the feeder just to fax them, it’s insane not to use the LAN Fax driver.

One word of caution: Don’t be a hero and set the driver up as being shared on a server (or share it off a workstation).

Bad things can and will happen, the least of which is sharing issues with the address book.

You can create address books (shared and private), and even create custom cover sheets.

A history lesson: About 20 years ago, before the LAN Fax drivers, Ricoh did allow sharing of the Fax modem over the network, but it only worked with WinFax Pro, which was the defecto standard in PC faxing at the time.

WinFax Pro worked great, but the modem sharing idea was totally worthless.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

We have a couple of hospitals that do the print to the ricoh and then fax them out via the same machine. I have given up trying to get them to use the lan fax driver.... oh well... more clicks for us.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jonhiker View Post
    We have a couple of hospitals that do the print to the ricoh and then fax them out via the same machine. I have given up trying to get them to use the lan fax driver.... oh well... more clicks for us.
    Hospitals can be a real pain.

They have so many goofy apps (which will remain nameless) that can be and are quite difficult to print out of.

The Lan-Fax driver is made for "normal office" apps. Definitely the large majority are, but some just aren't.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Anyone know if the LAN-FAX dirvers are "Universal" in the same manner that a PCL Driver is a PCL Driver? If not I'll need to get into the habit of seeing if LAN-FAX is available on each install. Hmn, this is rather convenient.

As for Medical Programs. Yeah most seem to be built for proprietary things and connections to the point of causing issues when trying to use new hardware at times. I've seen them not adhere to the systems Default Printer, thus causing confusion down the line and "This is Broken, Fix It" Requests. I know that there was one place that wanted Direct Scanning into the medical program from a Ricoh Push Scanner due to wanting the elimination of a few clicks.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Rioch as a Fax Modem?

Quote Originally Posted by Methedor View Post
    Anyone know if the LAN-FAX dirvers are "Universal" in the same manner that a PCL Driver is a PCL Driver? If not I'll need to get into the habit of seeing if LAN-FAX is available on each install. Hmn, this is rather convenient.
    NO. The drivers are model specific