Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

DNS Error sending email

I have a customer with an OKI ES8473 and an OKI MPS5502 that would not send email using Office365.I managed to be able to get the machines working using gmail on port 465.They would not work using port 587.The customer was convinced the the machines were at fault.The problem now is both email but the ES8473 comes back with a DNS error.I have tried different DNS servers and even tried using the IP of gmail SMTP server.I am convinced that it is a problem with their network but the customer is not buying it.Even thou IT work is not covered I doubt they will pay their bill when they get it.Any suggestions?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    DNS Error sending email

Re: DNS Error sending email

Quote Originally Posted by richs View Post
    I have a customer with an OKI ES8473 and an OKI MPS5502 that would not send email using Office365.I managed to be able to get the machines working using gmail on port 465.They would not work using port 587.The customer was convinced the the machines were at fault.The problem now is both email but the ES8473 comes back with a DNS error.I have tried different DNS servers and even tried using the IP of gmail SMTP server.I am convinced that it is a problem with their network but the customer is not buying it.Even thou IT work is not covered I doubt they will pay their bill when they get it.Any suggestions?
    yuo give little info for us to help you...

doesn't the customer have an IT person?
    are they using win7 or 10?
    WHAT is the error?

sorry not a mind reader.. you have to give the details for the server etc... if you can't find the information, you should pass on this problem.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    DNS Error sending email

The MPS5502 series machines were released in 2013, so it it likely that it would require a firmware update in order to communicate with the updated SSL/TLS settings in Office365. I'm not sure of the age of the 8473, but if it's before 2018 then flash that one as well.

Micro$quash has been the bane of a copier tech's existence for the last year now!! Killing SMB v1, increasing SSL/TLS encryption security for email... They... along with Google, are making our jobs a little harder.

Just a tech 250+ Posts keithxxiii's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post
    The MPS5502 series machines were released in 2013, so it it likely that it would require a firmware update in order to communicate with the updated SSL/TLS settings in Office365. I'm not sure of the age of the 8473, but if it's before 2018 then flash that one as well.

Micro$quash has been the bane of a copier tech's existence for the last year now!! Killing SMB v1, increasing SSL/TLS encryption security for email... They... along with Google, are making our jobs a little harder.

Agree with updating the firmware. And also, check with the manufacturer if it's all worth it to upgrade as port 587 is used by STARTTLS.
    This happened to me on a MPC300 ricoh device.
    Aye! Cut the crap

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    DNS Error sending email

If gmail works clearly the machine is not at fault.

Update the firmware you’ve then covered yourself pass it back to IT
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

To answer a few questions the error is only on the ES8473....so what they run on their computers does not matter.It only says DNS error please check setting or contact your administrator.They do have an IT guy but he just keeps insisting it the machines.Bo the machines are emailing now using gmail on port 465.There is an update on the ES8473 I can install but it has nothing to do with email or DNS(its to fix printing errors) I will probably do it thou.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    DNS Error sending email

t would help if you were to tell us what the DNS settings currently are and if they are the same for both machines.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Use the customer's MX record as the SMTP server on port 25 with no authentication. Put their domain into the following link:

MX Lookup Tool - Check your DNS MX Records online - MxToolbox
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Same on both machines.Also tried google DNS and Open DNS.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    DNS Error sending email

Same on both machines.Also tried google DNS and Open DNS.
    But what are they.