Failure of Finishing when Printing - Ricoh MP C5503

I am a field service tech for an office equipment dealer (not a manufacturer) in the Pacific Northwest, and below is a situation I am struggling with regarding network printing issues at a customer site, and I am not sure how to solve it or advise their IT guy to try to solve it.

The customer has a Ricoh MP C5503, with just under 300K with most of that as Black and White.

- Environment:

•Computer workstations and laptops running Windows 10, on network with a server.
    •Server OS unknown.

• Copier is connected to the network by being plugged into an Apple Airport which is connected to the WiFi acting as a wireless access point / wireless bridge.

• Customer IT has tried using the PCL 5C driver, and a couple versions of the Universal PCL 6 driver, both on the Server acting as a print server, and locally networking each workstation to the Ricoh via TCP/IP Port, using the same above driver versions at different points.
    • Customer's IT guy cannot figure out what is wrong, and said to call my employer who sold them the Ricoh and who provide service under a service contract.

• Each customer computer seems to have multiple versions of the drivers installed, including 1 or 2 from the print server.

- Customer reports the following:

• One computer can't punch or staple when printing in a program called "Pro Contractor", but Word documents and PDF's staple and punch fine.

• Other computers being "Pro Contractor", Adobe, Word, Excel, etc. cannot get the programs to staple or punch prints when they indicate to do so in the print driver settings. These computers also cannot print multiple copies of documents; the first copy prints, then it brings up an alert saying to load LTR-R, Plain & Recycled paper, when tray 1 has LTR, Plain and Recycled paper.

• There are around 10 to 20 computers that are printing to this and they are not all always on site so I have not been able to test a bunch of them.

- Steps tried so far:

• First I brought all the firmware up to current levels. Then had the customer try test prints, No Go.

• Next I tried making sure one of the drivers installed was networked directly to the copier's IP Address and not going through the print server, No Go.

• Checking the SC code Histories doesn't indicate any errors tied to these printing issues.

• Then I called Ricoh Xpress Support, opened a case and they had me do the following:
    • System SP 5801-008 to do a memory clear on the printer function, then restart the machine.
    • Printer SP 1001-005 and change Bit 1 to a 1, which should allow multiple copies when there is a paper size or type mismatch.
    •Test the Printer function from the customer's computers, which showed no change.
    •Test using my laptop connected via crossover cable, this test was successful for multiple prints, with hole punch and staple.
    • Ricoh concluded that it is something on the network but couldn't or wouldn't tell me where to look, have their (Customer's) IT Guy look, or any possible causes.

- My questions:

• What could cause the Staple and Punch functions to not perform when selected in the driver, when printing from multiple applications?

• What could cause the print driver to cause multiple copy print jobs to print the first print fine, then stop and ask for an orientation of paper that isn't loaded but is the same size as paper in one tray (Ask for LTR-R when LTR is present in the same size and weight/type)?
    • Especially when the machine has been set to allow continued printing even if there is a mismatch?
    • This happens in Multiple applications as well.

Has anyone else seen these kinds of issues and were able to resolve them? I am at a loss as to potential causes and since their IT guy can't figure out the network/computer side issues causing these problems, it has fallen to me to come up with some answers if I can.

Any and all thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Aaron

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Failure of Finishing when Printing - Ricoh MP C5503

If it works from your laptop nothing is wrong with machine, it is their IT issue with drivers, network or their application.

Failure of Finishing when Printing - Ricoh MP C5503

For the paper mismatch, look at the machine control panel and in the driver for something called rotate sort or something similar, turn it off if you find it.

Turn off collate, or sort, at the Ricoh control panel, the print driver, and in the computer application.

They could be using the wrong driver, the only way to be sure is to delete the driver and then download the new driver from Ricoh's web site yourself, not the one built into windows.

Print directly to the IP address using the standard tcpip port for your troubleshooting . If you get that working, then you can move on to printing through a server if desired. If you are going to print through a server, you need to get on the server to ensure the server has the correct driver also.

Just a tech 250+ Posts keithxxiii's Avatar

Disable WSD on the device
    Uninstall all printers and delete all drivers
    Download MPC5503 PCL6 driver only (not the UPD or the V4 UPD)

This should narrow down the troubleshooting procedure.
    Aye! Cut the crap

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

First thing is to follow Keith's advice. After you removed any driver associated with that machine [I don't think he meant all the drivers] add the PCL6 driver. Most of the drivers that I install are defaulted to Black and White, Single sided. Make sure you click on "Register Current Setting" and give it a name like "B\W. Don't forget to go to the Advance tab and under Printer defaults select the New B\W Icon that you just cerated. Next go to the machine and in "User Tools, Printer Features, System, Paper tray settings. Set your Bypass and all the trays to "Driver Command". Now its time to test. When testing check the "look of the driver". Some Apps will substitute the PCL6 driver i.e. google print,and use their own.Google print has a "Use system settings" that I point out to my customers when this comes up.

Sorry if this all sounds like "Duh" but I can't tell you how many times I went to a computer and found that the simple settings were not done by the customers "IT guy". Going into the Advance Tab and defaulting the setting to match the Preference settings is a major overlook and causes wacky print job errors.

BTW if the driver is not set to "rotate collate"as the default the jobs won't shift collate.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by aaron1907 View Post
    I am a field service tech for an office equipment dealer (not a manufacturer) in the Pacific Northwest, and below is a situation I am struggling with regarding network printing issues at a customer site, and I am not sure how to solve it or advise their IT guy to try to solve it.

The customer has a Ricoh MP C5503, with just under 300K with most of that as Black and White.

- Environment:

•Computer workstations and laptops running Windows 10, on network with a server.
    •Server OS unknown.

• Copier is connected to the network by being plugged into an Apple Airport which is connected to the WiFi acting as a wireless access point / wireless bridge.

• Customer IT has tried using the PCL 5C driver, and a couple versions of the Universal PCL 6 driver, both on the Server acting as a print server, and locally networking each workstation to the Ricoh via TCP/IP Port, using the same above driver versions at different points.
    • Customer's IT guy cannot figure out what is wrong, and said to call my employer who sold them the Ricoh and who provide service under a service contract.

• Each customer computer seems to have multiple versions of the drivers installed, including 1 or 2 from the print server.

- Customer reports the following:

• One computer can't punch or staple when printing in a program called "Pro Contractor", but Word documents and PDF's staple and punch fine.

• Other computers being "Pro Contractor", Adobe, Word, Excel, etc. cannot get the programs to staple or punch prints when they indicate to do so in the print driver settings. These computers also cannot print multiple copies of documents; the first copy prints, then it brings up an alert saying to load LTR-R, Plain & Recycled paper, when tray 1 has LTR, Plain and Recycled paper.

• There are around 10 to 20 computers that are printing to this and they are not all always on site so I have not been able to test a bunch of them.

- Steps tried so far:

• First I brought all the firmware up to current levels. Then had the customer try test prints, No Go.

• Next I tried making sure one of the drivers installed was networked directly to the copier's IP Address and not going through the print server, No Go.

• Checking the SC code Histories doesn't indicate any errors tied to these printing issues.

• Then I called Ricoh Xpress Support, opened a case and they had me do the following:
    • System SP 5801-008 to do a memory clear on the printer function, then restart the machine.
    • Printer SP 1001-005 and change Bit 1 to a 1, which should allow multiple copies when there is a paper size or type mismatch.
    •Test the Printer function from the customer's computers, which showed no change.
    •Test using my laptop connected via crossover cable, this test was successful for multiple prints, with hole punch and staple.
    • Ricoh concluded that it is something on the network but couldn't or wouldn't tell me where to look, have their (Customer's) IT Guy look, or any possible causes.

- My questions:

• What could cause the Staple and Punch functions to not perform when selected in the driver, when printing from multiple applications?

• What could cause the print driver to cause multiple copy print jobs to print the first print fine, then stop and ask for an orientation of paper that isn't loaded but is the same size as paper in one tray (Ask for LTR-R when LTR is present in the same size and weight/type)?
    • Especially when the machine has been set to allow continued printing even if there is a mismatch?
    • This happens in Multiple applications as well.

Has anyone else seen these kinds of issues and were able to resolve them? I am at a loss as to potential causes and since their IT guy can't figure out the network/computer side issues causing these problems, it has fallen to me to come up with some answers if I can.

Any and all thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Aaron

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    To do:
    -make sure printer IP is static.
    -remove the "print server" from the circlejerk.
    -make sure SNMP is enabled on the printer.
    -install MODEL SPECIFIC PRINT DRIVER!!! NOT GENERIC OR UNIVERSAL PRINT DRIVER DIRECTLY ON THE PC's!!!
    -make sure after print driver is installed that SNMP is enabled in the print driver IP address & port settings.
    -if all goes well, the specific print driver should communicate with the printer and auto config for accessories staple, punch, etc, etc.

NOTE: it may be that the IT department has blocked/disabled SNMP protocol to prevent SNMP flooding of queries. In that case the IT department support needs to step up figure out how they want to proceed. Also if any custom software is being used, the software sometimes works better with a Postscript driver than a PCL driver. Only problem being that PS is an "option" you have to buy...if not installed, it's unavailable.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html