Technician

Scan to folder problem

Hi! i have problems with my copier machine Canon IRC5030i, eventually scan to folder option stop working, its Windows 10 pc, and usually everytime after win. updates i turn off password protected sharing and it works, but this time dont, on other pc on network it works fine. Please help.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Scan to folder problem

Re: Scan to folder problem

-First step is to make sure you have updated the machine's firmware. Microsoft is killing off SMB v1 scanning as a security vulnerability. Firmware updates should allow SMB v2/v3 capability.

-Make sure your network is set as "Private"!! "Public" networks block File and Printer Sharing by default.

-Check your Windows Firewall settings... Make sure "File And Printer Sharing" is enabled for your "Inbound Rules".

-If the customer is using a 3rd Party AV/Firewall (McAfee-Norton-Etc....), have their IT people get in touch with the software provider on how to configure it to allow SMB scanning.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Scan to folder problem

I been seeing this more and more lately, as stated by guitar, windows update is also turning off SMB1 completely. If your machine only supports SMB V1 you will need to explain to the customer the risk involved by turning it back on before you walk them through the process. I walk customers over the phone on this issue about once a day and have also found that sometimes the folder permissions are also being changed.

I usually walk the customer through this by having them type in "Control Panel" in the search panel and then go to "Programs", add\remove windows features, and find SMB. Let the customer know that it may take a long time for the computer to process the task. Most of the time its a 10 minute process but I have been stuck at a computer for 45 minutes before it came back up. Also have them save all their work and close out the programs running- this process does not let you save and then close out anything that your working on
    Last edited by Brianneoe; 09-08-2019 at 01:42 PM.