Thread: 365 scanning

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts kingarthur's Avatar

365 scanning

not sure if anyone else has had a problem, we've got a few KM machines in the field using 365 for scanning, we had a few fail on Friday, (server connect error) I changed the SMTP ( smtp.office365.com) for an IP (40.100.174.18) which seems to have done the trick
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts ThePomqueteer's Avatar

Re: 365 scanning

Sounds like a DNS issue. I would do a connection test on the DNS server, if they fail I would check if they have another. If not 8.8.8.8 always does the trick.

I always make sure DNS is set to 8.8.8.8 and secondary is 8.8.4.4
    Tip for the day; Treat every problem as your dog would.....If you cant eat it or f*ck it....then p*ss on it & walk away...

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    365 scanning

Quote Originally Posted by kingarthur View Post
    I always make sure DNS is set to 8.8.8.8 and secondary is 8.8.4.4
    I always set those as the second and third DNS. In order for local name resolution to function properly the primary DNS must be a local device.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I always set those as the second and third DNS. In order for local name resolution to function properly the primary DNS must be a local device.
    This for sure. Google's DNS won't help with internal resolution, so you will want the primary DNS to match the Default Gateway for internal resolution (smb scanning etc) and the secondary/tertiary DNS to be 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 -- this will be useful for external connections such as KFS or SMTP tx

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    365 scanning

Quote Originally Posted by Xer0615 View Post
    This for sure. Google's DNS won't help with internal resolution, so you will want the primary DNS to match the Default Gateway for internal resolution (smb scanning etc) and the secondary/tertiary DNS to be 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 -- this will be useful for external connections such as KFS or SMTP tx
    Or in the case of a local Domain, the primary domain DNS.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Or in the case of a local Domain, the primary domain DNS.
    yeah, I actually intended to qualify that as "typically" but I guess I miscommunicated it. I think in my year doing this I've encountered someone with a DNS that didnt match their DG all of twice. But you are in fact correct

An update, we've had a customer set up their Bizhub for 365, and theirs failed to work, went through all the settings using the IP & smtp.office365.com, and it still wouldn't work, we discovered that their certificate had expired, created a new certificate and it worked with smtp.office365.com, so with both of our Bizhubs, neither has got a certificate, so created a certificate on one of them, changed it to smtp.office365.com and it still didn't work, so, also put in our local DNS and it worked, for the next machine, didn't bother with the certificate, entered local DNS and it worked with smtp.office365.com

Sooooooooo it would appear that 365 sets it own rules for each individual situation.....

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    365 scanning

Quote Originally Posted by kingarthur View Post
    An update, we've had a customer set up their Bizhub for 365, and theirs failed to work, went through all the settings using the IP & smtp.office365.com, and it still wouldn't work, we discovered that their certificate had expired, created a new certificate and it worked with smtp.office365.com, so with both of our Bizhubs, neither has got a certificate, so created a certificate on one of them, changed it to smtp.office365.com and it still didn't work, so, also put in our local DNS and it worked, for the next machine, didn't bother with the certificate, entered local DNS and it worked with smtp.office365.com

Sooooooooo it would appear that 365 sets it own rules for each individual situation.....
    I have ran into that with a few older Ricoh models. SSL TLS require a valid Site Certificate. I usually export the Google Internet Authority certificate from Firefox and install it to the MFP.

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

Here is some info that may help. One of the IT guys we work with who is now on his own instead of the company where we first worked with him, sent me the link to exact set up steps for bizhubs to scan to 365. I made a PDF of the info because we don't always have an internet connection out in the boonies and I'd rather have files local anyway. He has set up multiple bizhubs using this method, step by step, and it's never failed to work for him.

Office 365 Bizhub Scanning 2019.pdf
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.