Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Tech / IT Rep 100+ Posts JVergin's Avatar

Windows 10 - Printer shows as offline intermittently on multiple PCs

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this problem.

This is a small office environment. They said problem started about 2 months ago. Print drivers are installed locally on each PC and there is no server. Customer's PCs are hardwired as well as the copier of course (Kyocera 5052ci). Confirmed there are no partial updates installed awaiting a reboot. Also confirmed copier is on latest firmware, PCs have latest print driver, and are set to print to an IP port. Some computers have the printer show as offline once of more per day, some once a week. It takes either rebooting the PC or print spooler for it to show as online again. It isn't a uniform problem between the PCs - usually it's only 1 PC at a time can't print while the others can. restart the print spooler and it's back working again.

Throughout my entire last visit, I was running a constant ping to the copier. Never had a time-out. Not even once so its safe to assume the connection is there and stable even when moving/tugging on the cables. However in the middle of my visit, the PC I was sending a constant ping from and sending successful prints from now shows the printer as offline with no time-outs or high latency on the constant ping I'm sending.

As a temporary work around until they talk to their volunteer IT person, I put a shortcut on their desktop to restart the print spooler when they have the problem. I confirmed the copier is set to accept print jobs while in sleep mode. For troubleshooting I disabled the sleep timer so the copier only goes into energy saving mode.

I don't have any other customers with this issue. Has anyone else had this issue and found the culprit?

Thank you!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts BaconSteve's Avatar

Re: Windows 10 - Printer shows as offline intermittently on multiple PCs

Uncheck the box for SNMP in the Ports tab of the Printer Properties. That’s what makes them show offline randomly. If you really want to be a stud, always change the settings on this tab to “LPR printing”, queue name “lp”, select “LPR byte counting” and uncheck SNMP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technician

If pc's and copier are connected to router/ switch/ ap, maybe there is problem? Have you tried to change router/ switch/ ap?

uncheck snmp print to ipaddress copier 9100 raw thats it . MS broke snmp years ago

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BaconSteve View Post
    Uncheck the box for SNMP in the Ports tab of the Printer Properties. That’s what makes them show offline randomly. If you really want to be a stud, always change the settings on this tab to “LPR printing”, queue name “lp”, select “LPR byte counting” and uncheck SNMP.

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    uncheck snmp print to ipaddress copier 9100 raw thats it . MS broke snmp years ago
    The reason for this is that a PC will randomly send a SNMP to a printer. If for any reason it does not receive a response within a very short time window it shows the device as off line.

Also recheck that the default printer is set to use the IP port. A recent Windows update has been reported to create new printer devices for your existing printers using the WSD port. It will then set one of those as the Default.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The reason for this is that a PC will randomly send a SNMP to a printer. If for any reason it does not receive a response within a very short time window it shows the device as off line.

Also recheck that the default printer is set to use the IP port. A recent Windows update has been reported to create new printer devices for your existing printers using the WSD port. It will then set one of those as the Default.
    WSD: Windows Shitty Disaster. I’ve been disabling the WSD protocol on the MFP/printer side on all of ‘my’ fleet for about two years now due to this. Windows can’t install a WSD printer if it can’t communicate via WSD to the device

Service Tech / IT Rep 100+ Posts JVergin's Avatar

Very interesting thank you everyone!

I confirmed Their printer port was still an IP address however They did have SNMP checked so I had them change that and we'll see how it goes!

I recently uninstalled and reinstalled all printers / print drivers on my PC. I noticed none of them (including that one I installed using the setup file) have that box check marked. I wonder if they finally disabled that as default.

13 years in the industry and I'm still learning. Funny that I haven't come across this yet. Thanks for your help!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JVergin View Post
    Very interesting thank you everyone!

I confirmed Their printer port was still an IP address however They did have SNMP checked so I had them change that and we'll see how it goes!

I recently uninstalled and reinstalled all printers / print drivers on my PC. I noticed none of them (including that one I installed using the setup file) have that box check marked. I wonder if they finally disabled that as default.

13 years in the industry and I'm still learning. Funny that I haven't come across this yet. Thanks for your help!
    Seems you learned well but you never know what M$ will throw at us. Stay at CTN and be prepared.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

As a side bar to WSD and it's horrible mess that it causes with Windows 10 - If you turn it off then mobile printing on 'droid will not work (with our Toshiba's anyway) and printing from phone or tablet is a shiny bauble all the sales people know about...

I get in the habit of mentioning / unchecking the 'let windows ..etc..default printer' - seems to have fixed that.

Android uses WSD to connect!!?? UGHHHHHH! That settles it, I hate ALL operating systems now.