Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Windows 7 missing SMB in Features settings

In the last two weeks I have had 2 W7 end users call me stating that they can't scan to folder. Unlike W10 that I get calls about because of updates W7 has been pretty rock solid since last January's update. Doing some research I found this in MS site. I thought that the SMB would be in the Features settings but its not.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...windows-server
    Last edited by Brianneoe; 10-27-2019 at 02:22 PM.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Re: Windows 7 missing SMB in Features settings

Quote Originally Posted by Brianneoe View Post
    In the last two weeks I have had 2 W7 end users call me stating that they can't scan to folder. Unlike W10 that I get calls about because of updates W7 has been pretty rock solid since last January's update. The first call I went through most of my troubleshooting procedure only to find that SMB was completely missing from the Features settings. The second call I had the end user go directly to the Features settings and check if it was present..it was not. Told the customers to get ahold of their IT to resolve the issue.
    We're getting more & more issues with SMB for various reasons I now put all my new installs on email only much easier to set up & simple to change etc remotely should I need to.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

To enable/disable SMB1 in Windows 7 you need to make registry changes. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...windows-server

Until SMB1 is completely out of this world, and all devices no longer support it, there will be issues with scan to folder.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I hear you on that. i just hope that a new windows 7 update is not turning off SMB on its own. That will really suck. At least with Windows 10 you can walk the average user through the settings in Features and then explain the cons on what this settings will do if they turn it back on. I can't see my windows 7 customers checking to see if its turned off or not in regedit.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

You might want to research using Samba with Windows 7.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brianneoe View Post
    I hear you on that. i just hope that a new windows 7 update is not turning off SMB on its own. That will really suck. At least with Windows 10 you can walk the average user through the settings in Features and then explain the cons on what this settings will do if they turn it back on. I can't see my windows 7 customers checking to see if its turned off or not in regedit.
    Because Windows 7 is out of mainstream support, the ability to turn off SMB1 has not been backported to it. MS also has not changed any settings in the OS to turn the feature off either. Extended support only gives security updates as opposed to new features or functions, and there's only a couple of months left before that ends for Windows 7.

At this point, I only recommend Active Directory or a dedicated user account for scan to SMB since it makes it much easier to troubleshoot issues with local user accounts, or logged in users in terms of permissions.

Any equipment still out in the field that doesn't support newer versions of SMB should be fielding a lot of calls from the sales weasels to the get machines upgraded. I've posted this link before, but the advice in it really can't be argued with: Stop using SMB1 - Microsoft Tech Community - 425858