Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Darn you M$. Back to missing printer icons again on W10

Installing new printers, drivers load ok, printers work ok, but missing printer icons in devices and printers, also not listed in settings/devices. This is not a problem until you have to change defaults from color to b/w, turn off duplex as default, and add accessories to printer.

I know this has been an on/off issue over the years. Right now it seems you can go to control panel, administrative tools, printer management and do it there.

Any other fixes out there?
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Re: Darn you M$. Back to missing printer icons again on W10

Yep just did an install all windows 10 some worked fine and some the printer was not there at all? Great job MS
    till the next update

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Darn you M$.  Back to missing printer icons again on W10

Quote Originally Posted by tonerhead View Post
    Installing new printers, drivers load ok, printers work ok, but missing printer icons in devices and printers, also not listed in settings/devices. This is not a problem until you have to change defaults from color to b/w, turn off duplex as default, and add accessories to printer.

I know this has been an on/off issue over the years. Right now it seems you can go to control panel, administrative tools, printer management and do it there.

Any other fixes out there?
    I Just came here to see if there were any discussions on this exact topic. I've been seeing it for a few weeks now at every single install.
    At first, on many occasions it just seemed to take a really long time to finish installing, and populate the list, but now the device never seems to appear without a reboot.
    I've also noticed that even after a reboot if/ when the device shows up in the list, that it often continues to show "setup in progress" (forever) in some cases.
    Very frustrating!
    I do appreciate the tip to use printer management for setting defaults - at least for now. I didn't think of that.

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

It has to do with the Microsoft metadata server, trying to get the icon information.
    Here is the workaround.

Speed up a printer install “device setup in progress” in Windows 10 - Tech Support Favourites

Although I don't care to mess with anyones registry, I can verify this fix works. At least until MS gets their crap together.
    Last edited by tmaged; 11-07-2019 at 02:35 AM.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

i had same problem on windows 10. Might take 5 to 10 minutes. i notice it will put icon under unspecify device then when it finally loading will put it in printer section. Then you can change settings. Differently pain in blank

Quote Originally Posted by COPIERMAN View Post
    i had same problem on windows 10. Might take 5 to 10 minutes. i notice it will put icon under unspecify device then when it finally loading will put it in printer section. Then you can change settings. Differently pain in blank
    I've seen that scenario too lately.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Been seeing this the past couple of weeks as well. Problem is that on a few computers, even after a couple of days and a couple of restarts, the printers are still listed under "Unspecified Devices". If you open Notepad and select print, you can right click on the printer and get to printer properties to set defaults.

My big issue is that I have two customers using Remote Desktop and RDC is not seeing the local printer since it is not yet listed under devices and printers. Hate suggesting registry edits but might have to.

Thanks for the registry suggestion.

Here is the cure (workaround). It has worked for me so far. Run script below before installing driver. Script turns off enhanced Microsoft icons (which are worthless anyway) (just give me the good old vanilla ones that work)

Paste this into search box on W10, it will show it in results, double click to run and select no and save to turn off enhanced microsoft icons.

Rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\System32\newdev.dll,DeviceInternetSet tingUi

Hopefully M$ fixes with next update. Supposedly a MAJOR one is coming this month, God help us all.

Thanks to tmaged who provided the link to the script.

The copy and paste I did created a space in setting that is not supposed to be there. Here is corrected script. Darn windblows copy and paste.

More: still wrong in copy/paste to this forum. Just remember no space in setting.

Last edited by tonerhead; 11-13-2019 at 01:55 PM. Reason: wrong

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tonerhead View Post
    The copy and paste I did created a space in setting that is not supposed to be there. Here is corrected script. Darn windblows copy and paste.

More: still wrong in copy/paste to this forum. Just remember no space in setting.

Did not work for me by pasting into the Win10 search box but did work pasting into a command window. Thanks!