Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Small Law firm needs printing/copying client accounting

Small law firm would like an automated way to record printed and copied pages per client.

recommendations please

Re: Small Law firm needs printing/copying client accounting

Almost all machines have account codes if small amount , there are 3rd party companies as well,

Senior Tech 100+ Posts BaconSteve's Avatar

I hate to generalize but I will... attorneys are the cheapest S.O.Bs on the planet, with doctors running a close second. Small law firm... whatever. They gotta pay to play just like the rest of us. Built in accounting or show me the money.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

All law firms, large or small, are heavily dependent on their copiers to copy/print/fax/scan the paper documents they produce and in turn invoice to their customers.

As a law firm is a professional services company, image quality must reflect the quality of the documents produced.

Dept Codes do make it easier to track the usage of the copier for bill back to client purposes. Generally, Dept Codes require a copier with a Hard Drive installed. All Dept Codes systems are not equally easy to use. Toshiba offers arguably the best built in system.

Josh Devenney on LinkedIn: "#ToshibaTipTuesday Department Management: Track, Manage, or Limit usage on your Toshiba system. This can also be applied per function: copy, scan, print, etc...
    #TeamToshiba #Value #Efficiency"

It is not uncommon for many law firms, especially small ones to charge a flat rate for all documents produced and not worry about Dept Codes.

Mixed size originals are also important to law firms as they often create documents that are a mix of letter and legal size pages.

Josh Devenney on LinkedIn: "#ToshibaTipTuesday Mixed original sizes: Scan several different sizes in a single job. Use this feature instead of running several different scan jobs and piecing them together afterwards.
    #TeamToshiba #Value #Efficiency
    Step-by-Step Instructions:
    1. Select SCAN
    2. Select SCAN SETTING
    3. Select ORIGINAL SIZE
    4. Select MIXED ORIGINAL SIZES and OK"

If your law firm uses Apple OSX computers, I would recommend only buying a new copier, as Apple software updates approx every year. Manufacturers are not obliged to update their operating systems for discontinued, used copiers.

Scanning is a high priority task for all law firms. While it may be tempting to get a low cost A4 product capable of max Legal paper sizes, these devices generally do not have nearly as robust a Document Feeder design as the higher cost A3 Ledger size copiers.

Also consider a copier that can automatically convert paper documents via Optical Character Recognition into editable MS Word or Searchable PDF formats potentially saving many hours of retyping documents. Again. Toshiba's optional, built in OCR function found only on new models is very good.
    Last edited by SalesServiceGuy; 11-07-2019 at 04:02 AM.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BaconSteve View Post
    I hate to generalize but I will... attorneys are the cheapest S.O.Bs on the planet, with doctors running a close second. Small law firm... whatever. They gotta pay to play just like the rest of us. Built in accounting or show me the money.
    My most nightmarish accounts have been small law firms.

The most recent one, a woman lawyer, was one of the most nasty, foul mouthed people I ever dealt with.

Every third word was a F-Bomb.

Fortunately, my involvement was all remote, so I never had to meet the she-witch in person.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    All law firms, large or small, are heavily dependent on their copiers to copy/print/fax/scan the paper documents they produce and in turn invoice to their customers.

As a law firm is a professional services company, image quality must reflect the quality of the documents produced.

Dept Codes do make it easier to track the usage of the copier for bill back to client purposes. Generally, Dept Codes require a copier with a Hard Drive installed. All Dept Codes systems are not equally easy to use. Toshiba offers arguably the best built in system.

Josh Devenney on LinkedIn: "#ToshibaTipTuesday Department Management: Track, Manage, or Limit usage on your Toshiba system. This can also be applied per function: copy, scan, print, etc...
    #TeamToshiba #Value #Efficiency"

It is not uncommon for many law firms, especially small ones to charge a flat rate for all documents produced and not worry about Dept Codes.

Mixed size originals are also important to law firms as they often create documents that are a mix of letter and legal size pages.

Josh Devenney on LinkedIn: "#ToshibaTipTuesday Mixed original sizes: Scan several different sizes in a single job. Use this feature instead of running several different scan jobs and piecing them together afterwards.
    1. Select SCAN
    2. Select SCAN SETTING
    3. Select ORIGINAL SIZE
    4. Select MIXED ORIGINAL SIZES and OK"

If your law firm uses Apple OSX computers, I would recommend only buying a new copier, as Apple software updates approx every year. Manufacturers are not obliged to update their operating systems for used copiers bought at low cost.

Scanning is a high priority task for all law firms. While it may be tempting to get a low cost A4 product capable of max Legal paper sizes, these devices generally do not have nearly as robust a Document Feeder design as the higher cost A3 Ledger size copiers.

Also consider a copier that can automatically convert paper documents via Optical Character Recognition into editable MS Word or Searchable PDF formats potentially saving many hours of retyping documents. Again. Toshiba's optional, built in OCR function found only on new models is very good.
    I agree with “Scanning is a high priority task for all law firms. While it may be tempting to get a low cost A4 product capable of max Legal paper sizes, these devices generally do not have nearly as robust a Document Feeder design as the higher cost A3 Ledger size copiers.”

Safe to say you represent Toshiba. “Toshiba offers arguably the best built in system.” You could say that about any manufacturer “arguably”

Xerox, and likely others also offer FREE built in SEARCHABLE PDFs along with “optional” advanced OCR.

“ToshibaTipTuesday Mixed original sizes: Scan several different sizes in a single job. Use this feature instead of running several different scan jobs and piecing them together afterwards.
    1. Select SCAN
    2. Select SCAN SETTING
    3. Select ORIGINAL SIZE
    4. Select MIXED ORIGINAL SIZES and OK”
    XEROX can do this with a simple to configure “one touch” button.

With all due respect, I don’t think he was looking for a sales pitch. He was asking about 3rd party accounting solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by BaconSteve View Post
    I agree with “Scanning is a high priority task for all law firms. While it may be tempting to get a low cost A4 product capable of max Legal paper sizes, these devices generally do not have nearly as robust a Document Feeder design as the higher cost A3 Ledger size copiers.”

Safe to say you represent Toshiba. “Toshiba offers arguably the best built in system.” You could say that about any manufacturer “arguably”

Xerox, and likely others also offer FREE built in SEARCHABLE PDFs along with “optional” advanced OCR.

“ToshibaTipTuesday Mixed original sizes: Scan several different sizes in a single job. Use this feature instead of running several different scan jobs and piecing them together afterwards.
    1. Select SCAN
    2. Select SCAN SETTING
    3. Select ORIGINAL SIZE
    4. Select MIXED ORIGINAL SIZES and OK”
    XEROX can do this with a simple to configure “one touch” button.

With all due respect, I don’t think he was looking for a sales pitch. He was asking about 3rd party accounting solutions.
    There is no need for a 3rd party accounting system with Toshiba. Simply export your Dept Codes into Excel via a CSV file.

"XEROX can do this with a simple to configure “one touch” button. " .... A unique icon can be easily created on the Toshiba LCD panel for any customer task.

I was thinking more about scan to DOCX format. Creating Searchable PDFs are also important when researching documents.

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    There is no need for a 3rd party accounting system with Toshiba. Simply export your Dept Codes into Excel via a CSV file.

"XEROX can do this with a simple to configure “one touch” button. " .... A unique icon can be easily created on the Toshiba LCD panel for any customer task.
    EVERYONE has built in accounting. Its nothing. But if you read and understand the original post, and my original reply, you’ll see that that’s already been stated. It seems that the original post is perhaps asking about advanced accounting. XEROX can do that as well. Maybe Toshiba is up to the task. I’m sure every manufacturer can do that.

You say that Toshiba can do “one touch” buttons, but first you post a four step “step-by-step” instruction guide. Ok.

The point is, you don’t have any relevant information to offer. You didn’t answer the original post. You just copied and pasted some canned sales BS.

Pretty sure the OP knows that the current machine in his clients office already has all of the same capabilities as Toshiba, maybe even more. But what he’s asking about, if you take the time to comprehend the question, is advanced 3rd party solutions. And yes, even your precious requires 3rd party solutions beyond the basic solution that’s included with the product.

If you click on what you describe as "cut and paste", it will take you to some useful videos describing in detail Dept Code Mgt and Mixed Size Originals.

So... the same as every other manufacturer, very likely including OP’s client’s current machine. What’s the point?