Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Faxes and hippa

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Faxes and hippa

Side note. We were dealing with a fax issue today. Seems that faxes hit/miss randomly (imagine that). When talking with the phone provider, they said they can no longer support faxing (imagine that). Their explanation is that depending upon the number dialed and path taken, some dialings need area code, others do not. You can dial the same number two different times and it may or may not need the area code. Their response was the customer needs to manually dial in hook mode anymore to be able to listen in and manually connect when they hear receiving handshake. Makes sense I guess.

Time to put the fax with 8-tracks, cassette tapes, model T's, silent movies, b/w televisions. In 10 years copier repairmen will also join the ranks. Glad to be gone by then.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Faxes and hippa

The reason many medical users still want fax is very simple, look at the evidence chain in a Federal court. First accepted is the original document, followed by a "copy" of the original document, then followed by a fax of the original document, followed by a PDF of the original, etc. So if a medical office has a fax of the document, it is placed before any electronic versions of the document, ie pdf files, email, etc. Learned this from working with a Federal District court a few years ago looking to eliminate paper documents. What amazes me is these same courts require attorneys to file all documents via pdf! It seems counter intuitive to require pdf files when a fax supercedes an electronic version. Until the evidence chain is changed in Federal courts you will still see users requiring fax just to protect themselves.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Santander View Post
    The reason many medical users still want fax is very simple, look at the evidence chain in a Federal court. First accepted is the original document, followed by a "copy" of the original document, then followed by a fax of the original document, followed by a PDF of the original, etc. So if a medical office has a fax of the document, it is placed before any electronic versions of the document, ie pdf files, email, etc. Learned this from working with a Federal District court a few years ago looking to eliminate paper documents. What amazes me is these same courts require attorneys to file all documents via pdf! It seems counter intuitive to require pdf files when a fax supercedes an electronic version. Until the evidence chain is changed in Federal courts you will still see users requiring fax just to protect themselves.
    Some years back, we had a call from an attorney’s office about the version of PDF that their MFP was creating when scanning.

The court required a certain version or higher. If I recall, the MFP was creating version 1.3 PDFs, and they required 1.5. They were rejecting the older versions.

There were no firmware updates available to resolve the issue.

We got lucky. The customer was near the end of their lease, and it was fairly painless to get them into a newer model that created the newer version.

A bit off the topic of fax, but certainly related.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins