Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Faxes and hippa

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Faxes and hippa

Now I do not want to hear that faxing is still viable. If you want to live in the stone age and believe it still is that is your perogative. I am getting pretty tired of medical community crying about hippa and faxes. I am done screwing with faxes, I would like to offer alternatives that are hippa compliant. Upon doing some research I have found that scan to email is not, attaching scans to emails is not, emails in general are not, etc.

I have read about secure email drop sites for the medical community that are hippa compliant. Does anyone have any experience with hippa compliance outside of faxing?

What I have found to be hippa compliant so far is

1. Sender and receiver both have to be verified
    2. Transmission channel needs to be secured
    3. Data needs to be encrypted
    4. Origination, destination, and all points between need to securely store and/or destroy all data of the transmission (I guess secure email drop sites store the email and leave nothing on senders computer, receiver gets a link and views as if on local storage so they attach link to their records of patient)

Short story long, what are people using out there and are they happy with it? I appreciate any suggestions.

BTW, (sidenote), I fail to see how faxes could even remotely be seen as hippa compliant, especially since all phone communication is sent over ip anymore, but that's just me.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Senior Tech 100+ Posts BaconSteve's Avatar

Re: Faxes and hippa

It’s called greed. Fucking corporate cock suckers. I-fax has been around for years, but of course all the cock suckers have to make it proprietary so that “oh, in order for I-fax to work, you can only send x to x, not y to x”. Whatever.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BaconSteve View Post
    It’s called greed. Fucking corporate cock suckers. I-fax has been around for years, but of course all the cock suckers have to make it proprietary so that “oh, in order for I-fax to work, you can only send x to x, not y to x”. Whatever.

I agree with you 100%. However it is unlikely to change. Thank you for your reply. I deal with a large medical/nursing home community, I need to offer them something to make my life less miserable.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Faxes and hippa

Also doubt it will change. Reason doctors, etc use fax is it's the most secure way to send a document. You will never hear of a fax getting hacked!

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

The 3 biggest markets for fax are government, legal, and medical.

Education is right up there, too.

Good luck on getting any of those to change their ways, or invest in anything new.

Let’s face it...who are the biggest cheapskates complained about on CTN? Doctors and lawyers.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Faxes and hippa

When I say faxing a document is most secure that is using a conventional fax machine, not electronic over internet. Secure meaning if you pick up a handset on that fax line you hear that weird noise fax machines make. That is not able to be hacked, not up to this point anyway. And of course you know who on on the receiving fax machine.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Faxes and hippa

Faxes are not secure, I don’t care who or what law says. How many times have any one of us gone to a machine to see incoming faxes still on the trays, or even fallen behind the machine?

I agree of the aggravation of service calls that faxes produce. Many customers are changing their lines to VOIP, and sometimes faxes won’t work. It’s now our fault, the machine is under a contract you got to fix it. Sorry lady, it ain’t broke.

[\rant over]

Sorry I don’t have any solution to the OP. I know it can be done. When I worked in IT of a Health insurance company, there were secure emails that can be configured. We had them for certain customers. It was all automatic, no need to create accounts to download documents securely.
    Last edited by seansbar; 11-15-2019 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Add more info

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seansbar View Post
    Faxes are not secure, I don’t care who or what law says. How many times have any one of us gone to a machine to see incoming faxes still on the trays, or even fallen behind the machine?
    In my doctor’s office, the fax machine resides in the hallway between the exam rooms, totally not secure.

It would take very little effort to quietly swoop up any pages that may be laying there.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Faxes and hippa

I did post it depends who is on receiving end. My point was about hacking it while being sent.