Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Windows using with Mac's????

I have a graphics shop running parallels. For the most part it works as it should, but there are occasional quirks. Personally I run Windows on my Linux box using virtual box. It's not too bad. I tried running dual boot on linux once (like bootcamp) didn't work well for me. Windows updates always wrecked the bootloader. IMO always better to go with a virtual computer (parallels) rather than a dual boot (bootcamp). Ideally though it is not your issue, but the customer's issue. If they are tech savvy go with the virtual, if not they should buy pc's.
    I've proved mathematics wrong. 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.........

Especially when it comes to sex

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Windows using with Mac's????

Quote Originally Posted by tonerhead View Post
    I have a graphics shop running parallels. For the most part it works as it should, but there are occasional quirks. Personally I run Windows on my Linux box using virtual box. It's not too bad. I tried running dual boot on linux once (like bootcamp) didn't work well for me. Windows updates always wrecked the bootloader. IMO always better to go with a virtual computer (parallels) rather than a dual boot (bootcamp). Ideally though it is not your issue, but the customer's issue. If they are tech savvy go with the virtual, if not they should buy pc's.
    My youngest daughter has a PHD in Computer Science and is the Computer Sciences and Engineering Chair at California State University Bakersfield, CSUB. She uses Windows in a virtual machine on Linux.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

For easier network support for some of our customers, we've built out a Hyper-V server with VM's connected to our customers' networks via VPN clients. This gives our network support guys the ability to work in real time from the office, cutting down on travel time. Granted, we do all of the support for these customers, but virtual machines have certainly opened up an entirely new world.

Overall, our advice has been if you can do it with a VM, do it: less hardware to buy, and fewer issues with things like drivers and the like. The days of dual boot machines for most use cases are now long gone.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    For easier network support for some of our customers, we've built out a Hyper-V server with VM's connected to our customers' networks via VPN clients. This gives our network support guys the ability to work in real time from the office, cutting down on travel time. Granted, we do all of the support for these customers, but virtual machines have certainly opened up an entirely new world.

Overall, our advice has been if you can do it with a VM, do it: less hardware to buy, and fewer issues with things like drivers and the like. The days of dual boot machines for most use cases are now long gone.
    We are only two techs here - me and our IT guy, but that is what I wish we aimed...someday.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.