Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Windows using with Mac's????

Customer has 5 Mac's and needs to have Windows operating system because of his new Merchandising an Accounting System. Is this an option or better get 5pcs dedicated Windows computers right away?

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Re: Windows using with Mac's????

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    Customer has 5 Mac's and needs to have Windows operating system because of his new Merchandising an Accounting System. Is this an option or better get 5pcs dedicated Windows computers right away?

Hans
    You can use the Mac hardware

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Are you missing the obvious solution? Buy a couple of inexpensive PC's. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

There are several options that I am aware of:
    1/2. VMWare Fusion or Parallels allows windows to run concurrently with the Mac OS. Make sure you have enough memory and HD space and you get the best of both worlds.
    3. As BSM states, Mac can run Windows natively using "Bootcamp" that allows both OS's to be loaded, but you have to choose which OS is started and you are solely using that OS until you reboot to the other.
    4. Crossover - probably the cheapest of the bunch because you do not need to purchase a licensed version of Windows like you do for the three options above and Crossover is priced reasonably. You would just need to make sure that the Windows program you are trying to run will run within a Crossover container. Crossover uses a Windows emulator which eliminates the need to purchase Windows.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Are you missing the obvious solution? Buy a couple of inexpensive PC's. =^..^=
    You confirmed my personal idea Cat. I believe this would be the most straight solution instead of messing with Mac's. Neither me nor the customer have enough knowledge about Mac Computers. The really do not need not that fancy equipment since they do not have any demands regarding graphic such as architects, web designers graphic designers or CAD/CAM. The are just a plain company doing plumbing work but the owner likes everything fancy American. All kinds of stuff coming from the USA. Not only Mac computers but also fat American cars, country music (lol), Burgers and other American food, Guns you name it......

Thanks

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CWP View Post
    There are several options that I am aware of:
    1/2. VMWare Fusion or Parallels allows windows to run concurrently with the Mac OS. Make sure you have enough memory and HD space and you get the best of both worlds.
    3. As BSM states, Mac can run Windows natively using "Bootcamp" that allows both OS's to be loaded, but you have to choose which OS is started and you are solely using that OS until you reboot to the other.
    4. Crossover - probably the cheapest of the bunch because you do not need to purchase a licensed version of Windows like you do for the three options above and Crossover is priced reasonably. You would just need to make sure that the Windows program you are trying to run will run within a Crossover container. Crossover uses a Windows emulator which eliminates the need to purchase Windows.

Only thing I would caution is make sure the Merchandising and Accounting program they're needing will actually RUN in a Windows "Emulator".... Otherwise as earlier suggested, just get one or two Windows PC's and add them to the network. I think that would be the LEAST intrusive option.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

A virtual Windows machine would be a good option in this case since it gives the users the ability to stay in a single operating system, but still connect to another computer for the application they need from the same machine without logging out or any other kind of heroics. I'm surprised that there's no web front end for the programme, since it can't possibly exist on five different workstations with five different sets of data: there has to be some kind of backend somewhere.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    A virtual Windows machine would be a good option in this case since it gives the users the ability to stay in a single operating system, but still connect to another computer for the application they need from the same machine without logging out or any other kind of heroics. I'm surprised that there's no web front end for the programme, since it can't possibly exist on five different workstations with five different sets of data: there has to be some kind of backend somewhere.
    A Windows Server with remote desktop features should do the trick. All software and data would reside on the server.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

The only issue with a terminal server is that licensing can get a little tricky since some vendors will require a server license for a terminal server to work.

Beyond that, there's also the added expense of RDS licenses needed for the server. Wouldn't want to give a customer the idea only to get them dinged for it in a licensing audit.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post

Hans
    It can be done I have an art gallery that love the "look" of a mac but the practicality of Microsoft Windows bit of a joke with us engineers but have a read.

How to install Windows 10 on your Mac using Boot Camp | iMore
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk